Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Do you know what formula this is? The one right below the first paragraph.

View attachment 34982
The "du/dy"? That's the derivative of u with respect to y. I suppose that u is the fluid velocity and y the direction perpendicular to the fluid flow, but I can't tell more without more context. And you know, I wasn't good at fluid mechanics... :confused:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Speaking of this. I HAVE SO MANY MATH QUESTIONS.

1- Does anyone here know how to calculate the speed change of a satellite as its rising from his perigee to the apogee within elliptical orbit? I know the speed change is exponential, but how do you calculate it?

2- How do you predict when two spacecrafts will meet at their respective closest encounters in any kind of orbit? I remember in Primary school, there's this math question where you got three guys who come to the library at different time intervals, and you find out when they'll meet by adding up the time intervals until you get the same number, add said number to the starting date, and there's your encounter.

But satellites? Different orbital planes? How? HOW?

3- Finally. Why. In the name of the emperor's mummified testicles, are afterburner calculations SO MUCH more complicated than the FHACKING jet engine itself????? ITS LITERALLY JUST A BLAST FURNACE.
I can answer the first 2 questions.

1- You need the vis-viva equation for this:
v^2 = μ×(2/r - 1/a)
μ is the gravitational parameter (μ = G×M in astrodynamics formulas), a is the semi great axis : a = (periapsis + apoapsis)/2

If you use this in the context of the game, don't forget that periapsis and apoapsis have to be measured from the body's center, not from ground level like ingame. So you have to add the body radius to the values you get from the game.

For the gravitational parameter, you can calculate it from the planet data file:
μ = g×radius^2

Note that the formula works for any type of trajectory, but as there is no semi great axis for hyperbolas, you should use the following form:
v^2/2 - μ/r = constant.
If you know the speed at one point (periapsis for example), then you know it at any point.

2- Now you need the Kepler equation:
M = E - e×sin(E)
e is eccentricity
E is eccentric anomaly
M is mean anomaly

You can calculate eccentric anomaly that way:
tan(E/2) = sqrt((1-e)/(1+e)) × tan((θ-φ)/2)
θ is the argument (the angle at which the ship currently is), φ is the argument of periapsis.

Then the mean anomaly is proportional to the delay the ship needs to go from periapsis to its current position:
M = sqrt(μ)/a^(3/2) × T
(T is the delay in the equation).

Another way to write it is to use the orbital period: T_orb = 2×Pi×a^(3/2)/sqrt(μ)

Then you have M = 2Pi × T/T_Orb = E - e×sin(E)

The Kepler equation allows you to calculate the delay (T) that separates 2 positions, but the equation can't be reversed to calculate a starting position from a delay and an ending position. However, some numerical analysis methods (like the Newton-Raphson method) are very efficient to calculate this in practice.

But as you see, overall this is much more complicated than applying a formula. If you want to calculate the closest encounter this requires an iterative approach, there's no direct way to achieve this.

3- I'll use a joker for this one :p

I would say the result is approximately between 4 and 192...

This is in the interval I found, so it should be correct.
Oh yeah, food for thought. Since you know fluid dynamics.

You know how pressure head loss, be it minor or major, both equations are gravity dependent right? If say I am to optimize a moon lander's propellant plumbing according to the moon's gravity. Does that mean it will outright cock up when operating under earth gravity?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

You know how pressure head loss, be it minor or major, both equations are gravity dependent right? If say I am to optimize a moon lander's propellant plumbing according to the moon's gravity. Does that mean it will outright cock up when operating under earth gravity?
I don't know that to be honest :confused:

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend

I guessing that if something is dependent on passive pressure, yeah. But what on a rocket engine is dependent on passive pressure?

T

TtTOtW

I guessing that if something is dependent on passive pressure, yeah. But what on a rocket engine is dependent on passive pressure?
It is generally well known that rockets use rcs to shunt any liquid fuelled orbital spacecraft ever so gently forward, so as to shift the free floating fuel in the tanks to the outlets to feed the engines. Once on the move, whether at low or high throttle, it just works.this leads me to believe that gravity/thrust itself is important to keep the engine fed, not the scale of it.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Aw man, guess I'll have to find that out myself.
Yep, when you want some really specific stuff sometimes you have to do this yourself. Same for me for the navigation, nobody taughted me, at some point I had to do things by myself.
On the other side that's the best way to learn.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Passive = not active. :p
What I actually meant by passive was the 'passive' pressure due to pull of gravity, that isn't made by your pumps and stuff. So when you're on the moon, you're feeling a different passive pressure in the piping than in mother Russia (for example).
So, is there anything in a rocket engine that relies on the 'passive' pull of gravity to work?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend

And, oh, that's not gravity dependent. It's acceleration dependent. Critical difference when it comes to rockets.
When you're landing on the moon, you're feeling the acceleration of your engine minus the acceleration of the moon's gravity.

And, oh, that's not gravity dependent. It's acceleration dependent. Critical difference when it comes to rockets.
When you're landing on the moon, you're feeling the acceleration of your engine plus the acceleration of the moon's gravity.
Sure, the equations says otherwise. And acceleration is not a factor in any fluid dynamic equation I've learnt so far.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
P = ρgh is just a shorthand version for earth plumbers. The catch-all version is P = (ρ)(acceleration)(h)

Because they're used on Earth?
Nah, doesn't have to be, equations aren't location fixed.

What I actually meant by passive was the 'passive' pressure due to pull of gravity, that isn't made by your pumps and stuff. So when you're on the moon, you're feeling a different passive pressure in the piping than in mother Russia (for example).
So, is there anything in a rocket engine that relies on the 'passive' pull of gravity to work?
Ah that's just the gravity factor. We have many things that affect the overall plumbing of the engine, currently what I am worried about is pressure head loss. That has a gravity factor in it.

Temporarily ignore whatever cycle the system depends on, pressure fed or pump fed.

Ah that's just the gravity factor. We have many things that affect the overall plumbing of the engine, currently what I am worried about is pressure head loss. That has a gravity factor in it.

Temporarily ignore whatever cycle the system depends on, pressure fed or pump fed.

Alright, forced myself to do the math, really easy.

Just divide 9.81 by 6 to get a crude moon gravity, and your head loss drops almost 6 times usual. So yeah, your system doesn't need to work as hard on the moon. Elementary math.

Answered my own bloody question in 20 seconds, why did I go through all that trouble for.