Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
When we land on atmospheric planets, we need parachutes, but there is also some limits of using parachutes like the height and the speed, but how can we guess the height and the speed if there don't have a lot information of that planet?

Now let's use Earth as an example. Earth's parachute deploy height is 2500 m while the fully deploy parachute height is 500m. The speed of deploying parachute on Earth is 250m

But in other planets the parachute deploy height is different from Earth, so there is a term called Parachute Multiplier. The Parachute Multiplier is inside the planet editor.
So let me explain what the Parachute Multiplier is, it is the multiply of the height and speed of deploying parachute using Earth as a base. Which means Earth's parachute multiplayer is 1.0

And Mars's Parachute Multiplier is 2.5 which means that we should multiply the height of deploying parachute and the speed by 2.5, it gives the final number 6250 and 625 right?

So that gives the formula
p=ha/ho
p is parachute multiplier, ho is the and speed of deploying parachute on other planet while ha is the speed of deploying parachute on Earth

Last edited:

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Spelling mistakes sorry :p but don't just focus on the spelling mistake

Last edited:

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Relationship between the half deploy parachute height and the speed:

In the above result, we can see that the result of the height and the speed is 6250 and 625 right? On Earth, it is 2500 and 250 right? There is a similarity between them: When you remove one zero in the height it becomes the speed right?

Then here's the formula:

S=h/10 which S is the speed while h is the height

The relationship between deploying parachute height and fully deploying parachute height:

the height of fully deploy parachute on Earth is 500 while on Mars is 1250 right? If you are good at maths you can see that the height of deploying parachute and fully deploying parachute is directly proportional

Now we label this:

ph ∝ pf

ph is the deploy parachute height while pf is the fully deploy parachute height

If you are sensitive enough you can see that when pf is multiplied by 5 it becomes ph

So here's the formula:

ph = 5pf or pf=ph/5

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
This thread is written to noobs or those who don't know about that. If you don't know the height and the speed of deploying parachutes just use the formula above

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ok so if any admin found it useless you can delete it or move it, I am just sharing what I've discovered

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Well, this is a very thorough and in-depth breakdown of parachutes. Very nice!

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
There is an interesting thing I want to tell you, when I want to post this thread last night, Jordi unplugged the server!!

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
There is an interesting thing I want to tell you, when I want to post this thread last night, Jordi unplugged the server!!
He must've noticed you writing something and then pulled the plug just because it was you.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Note: If you are in vacuum, what I said above will be useless. Just ignore this thread if you tend to perform mission in space or no atmospheric planet
Parachutes don't work in vacuum?! Now that I didn't know.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Or other Jupiter's moons?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
He must've noticed you writing something and then pulled the plug just because it was you.
Yes, Jordi often does that. When he detects that James Brown is writting a long post he quickly unplugs the server. That's the reason why the forum has been several times offline ultimately.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yes, Jordi often does that. When he detects that James Brown is writting a long post he quickly unplugs the server. That's the reason why the forum has been several times offline ultimately.
*James writes somethin*

Jordi: Imma end this man's entire career.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Me: Nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why you have to do this????????????????
Fine, I saved what I've said in a txt file at that time

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I wonder, why Jordi has to unplug when someone writes a long post? Because of the space of storage?

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
There is a apollo spent stage that literally returned to earth and fly back to deep space, plus the newly found centaur stage flown from surveyor 2 i think..

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Guys, BOT please