bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It's by no means complete. I'm beginning to suspect that it may never be complete. At this point it's a binary system circling another star system. ( See first attachment )

I've tried to make each planet and sun ( in hindsight I probably spent too much time on the stars ) unique and different. The atmospheres are definitely higher than usual. Prime and A are all accessible to base players. The two rockets in attachment 3 are the only two I used to access all the current planets.
I lowered warp heights so I could observe atmospheres without taking all day and left th there. Traveling interstellar is time consuming. I used ions. You can use larger faster engines but fuel will be an issue. You might notice some of the planets farthest from you are not directly accessable for navigation. The farthest trip I made was 15 trillion kilometers.

I had fun and frustration making it. Learning the fine points of terrain manipulation is next. Altaïr Blazer a tutorial on AddHeightMaps would be very helpful.

As for acknowledgments, in alphabetical order Altair, Blazer and Cresign12 . Ive basically copied every texture picture I've run across and added sbout 150 of my own. If I've used an already made texture I've left the title intact. All planets, other than the 1.4 or 1.5 format have been gone over line by line to make then as realistic as I can.

If anyone does use this please leave me some feedback. Good or bad. Believe it or not I do appreciate constructive criticism.

Attachments

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It's by no means complete. I'm beginning to suspect that it may never be complete. At this point it's a binary system circling another star system. ( See first attachment )

I've tried to make each planet and sun ( in hindsight I probably spent too much time on the stars ) unique and different. The atmospheres are definitely higher than usual. Prime and A are all accessible to base players. The two rockets in attachment 3 are the only two I used to access all the current planets.
I lowered warp heights so I could observe atmospheres without taking all day and left th there. Traveling interstellar is time consuming. I used ions. You can use larger faster engines but fuel will be an issue. You might notice some of the planets farthest from you are not directly accessable for navigation. The farthest trip I made was 15 trillion kilometers.

I had fun and frustration making it. Learning the fine points of terrain manipulation is next. Altaïr Blazer a tutorial on AddHeightMaps would be very helpful.

As for acknowledgments, in alphabetical order Altair, Blazer and Cresign12 . Ive basically copied every texture picture I've run across and added sbout 150 of my own. If I've used an already made texture I've left the title intact. All planets, other than the 1.4 or 1.5 format have been gone over line by line to make then as realistic as I can.. if a up bynyone does use this please leave me some feedback. Good or bad. Believe it or not I do appreciate constructive criticism.

You'll need to add these to the texture data folder. These are the completel set.

Herevis a link for the comlplete file. I did not know I spoke German.

Maak kennis met Google Drive: één plek voor al je bestanden

Attachments

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hmm lemme test it then

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

As for acknowledgments, in alphabetical order Altair, Blazer and Cresign12[/USER[QUOTE]
You didnt stole them from me, i didnt make them, i just found them on the internet :)

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
There are 20 bodies, 5 of which are stellar including one monster that's 31.5 km in diameter. ( About 45 times the size of our sun) . Gravity set to 300. Talk about your graveyard. I really meant more along the lines of inspiration Cresign.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure our sun is larger...
Betalgeuse is 14 times larger than mine. Here's a fun little factoid. The sun comprises 99.8% of the mass of our solar system.
Screenshot_20210419-121745~2.png

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend

As for acknowledgments, in alphabetical order Altair, Blazer and Cresign12 . Ive basically copied every texture picture I've run across and added sbout 150 of my own. If I've used an already made texture I've left the title intact. All planets, other than the 1.4 or 1.5 format have been gone over line by line to make then as realistic as I can.

If anyone does use this please leave me some feedback. Good or bad. Believe it or not I do appreciate constructive criticism.
Well, I can’t do a tutorial on Heightmaps, since I’m in 1.35, but I think Altaïr cans, when he has the time, cause I think he’s a bit busy at the moment.

Also, when you are planet editing, don’t even bother to plan missions to these worlds. Just turn all the cheats and go there, to see if your editing is fine.

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
My god I love those stars. The planet really aren't bad either.

Good job man.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Maybe he means it's size in sfs?
Doesn't work with 1:20 scale Sun size either. Cos 4,300,000 / 20 = 215,000km. Which is just over 6,825 times larger than 31.5km. I sense some crossed wires and maths going here. 31.5km isn't a monster in terms of stars, or even planets. In SFS scale, that'd make it third smallest object in the stock 1.4 solar system, just ahead of Mars moons. Earth is 315km (in SFS) for example.

That's what Marmilo is trying to point out.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Yup, the 31.5 km is literally 10 times smaller than stock Earth. I don’t think a star can be that small, unless is a neutron star.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Uh, I still can't see how 31.5 km is almost 45 times larger than over 4.3 milion km?
My bad. Forgot a couple of zeros. :rolleyes: 31.5 million km diameter is what I meant to write. (Looks around for the epic face palm.) The body referenced is HS-X. My apologies Marmilo. I can see where 6 orders of magnitude might be a tad confusing.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That "AddHeightMap" function is not simple for me either.

It's generally presented like this, with 3 parameters:
Screenshot_20210420-103012_QuickEdit+.jpg
The first one (Perlin in this case) is the terrain definition. "Perlin" is basically some random terrain, with bumps and holes randomly distributed.

The terrain data is located in the Heightmap Data folder. It's basically a list of points:
Screenshot_20210420-103721_QuickEdit+.jpg
Each number is the relative altitude of one point: 0 is at terrain level, 1 is the maximal height of the terrain pattern.

Then the 2 following parameters are width and height.
Width is the length over which the pattern will be spreaded. In the example above, the last point will be placed 19030.8 meters after the first point, and all the points in between will be evenly distributed.
Also, you have to think about the pattern as a cyclic one: Each time the end of the pattern is reached (when it reached 19030.8 meters in this case), it restarts from the first point until the planet has been fully mapped.

To ensure the continuity between 2 successive repetitions of the same pattern, the last point is took equal to the first one in each terrain definition (you can check in Perlin for example).

For the same reason, it's important that the pattern is mapped an integer number of time: that way, there will be a continuity between the first and the last point. That's why the width parameter is generally took equal to the planet circumference divided by an integer. In this example, 19030.8 actually corresponds to the Earth circumference divided by 104:
Screenshot_20210420-111940_Calculator.jpg

Finally, the last parameter is max height: the height of each point will be the relative height defined in the heightmap file (between 0 and 1) multiplied by this parameter.

In the end, that instruction generates 104 iterations of a Perlin terrain which max height is 35 meters over the whole planet.

Overall, the terrain is generated procedurally that way: a first AddHeightMap instructions will generate the biggest variations of the terrain (mountains), then another command with smaller height/width parameters will generate it on an intermediate scale (hills), and so on until you end up generating the smallest details (bumps and holes).

I hope it helps.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
That "AddHeightMap" function is not simple for me either.

It's generally presented like this, with 3 parameters:
View attachment 61154
The first one (Perlin in this case) is the terrain definition. "Perlin" is basically some random terrain, with bumps and holes randomly distributed.

The terrain data is located in the Heightmap Data folder. It's basically a list of points:
View attachment 61155
Each number is the relative altitude of one point: 0 is at terrain level, 1 is the maximal height of the terrain pattern.

Then the 2 following parameters are width and height.
Width is the length over which the pattern will be spreaded. In the example above, the last point will be placed 19030.8 meters after the first point, and all the points in between will be evenly distributed.
Also, you have to think about the pattern as a cyclic one: Each time the end of the pattern is reached (when it reached 19030.8 meters in this case), it restarts from the first point until the planet has been fully mapped.

To ensure the continuity between 2 successive repetitions of the same pattern, the last point is took equal to the first one in each terrain definition (you can check in Perlin for example).

For the same reason, it's important that the pattern is mapped an integer number of time: that way, there will be a continuity between the first and the last point. That's why the width parameter is generally took equal to the planet circumference divided by an integer. In this example, 19030.8 actually corresponds to the Earth circumference divided by 104:
View attachment 61156

Finally, the last parameter is max height: the height of each point will be the relative height defined in the heightmap file (between 0 and 1) multiplied by this parameter.

In the end, that instruction generates 104 iterations of a Perlin terrain which max height is 35 meters over the whole planet.

Overall, the terrain is generated procedurally that way: a first AddHeightMap instructions will generate the biggest variations of the terrain (mountains), then another command with smaller height/width parameters will generate it on an intermediate scale (hills), and so on until you end up generating the smallest details (bumps and holes).

I hope it helps.
Every little bit helps :) I'm working on building a single mountain or range. To do that looks like its going to require a rather massive initial perlin file but once its done it can be added to the master heightmap fold3r and be used with minor modification for future terrain editing. I'm remembering now why I chose hardware over software.

Last edited: