The Importance of 'Influencers'

There's a thought. How is that going?

I would say yes, he has. Unsurprising really.
In short terms, I'm fully aware they couldn't care. I didn't say they did, or even should. If you read and understood my words, you'll even note I didn't blame them either.
I blamed all of you. Which is probably the reason for the retort, as opposed to any actual objective evidence or considered viewpoint.
Success is a subjective metric. If by successful, you mean notorious, infamous, then yes, they are more successful than I am. If by successful you mean respected at the top of a chosen profession for long periods of time, then your precious influencers have got another 10 years to go before they even come close to me.
They could never do what I have done. Because my job takes time and effort.
Whereas I could abase myself online anytime I wanted. Selling my dignity for like and shares would be easy to do, I'd just need a camera. Hell, I could even make a success from YouTube without being a boring, talentless turd.
Serving and ex military content creators doing 'reaction videos' are quite big at the moment. I could sit in my room in front of a camera and tear badly made combat scenes apart anytime I liked. Hell, I do it here for free.
Or make videos reviewing kit, 'how to' videos aimed at recruits/airsofters. And do a better job of it all than the vast majority of the current crop, especially the british ones.
Fuck man, I could take up paintball and get millions of views filming myself annihilating unsuspecting people in wood blocks.
And they'd eat it out of my hand.

It's a shame, the only bit you had sort of right is the bit you lined out.
There's an oft repeated but rather false phrase about paratroopers in that we have never failed at any task.
it's not true of course. You don't even have to look that hard for examples of airborne forces not completing all objectives set to them. And of course I have failed at things. I should hope everyone gets to the point of failure at some point in life.
That's where the learning happens.
If you've never failed, you've never tried for anything worthwhile. You'll never know what you're capable of until you go out that far and you'll never learn anything about yourself until you get there. If there isn't a chance of failure, then the rewards aren't worth it.
Failing isn't a bad thing.

Judging 'success' by fame alone, or even through the absence of failure, is a worrying trait. It removes context, the hard work and dedication of those willing to dare greatly for the sake of the challenge, not the fame and creates a band of lazy, risk averse, fame hungry individuals, who then act as role models for young people to emulate and adulate in that all consuming rush for notoriety at the expense of dignity.

It's ok Soyuz. I dare say I've ruffled a few feathers in my time here and I don't want or need his respect. He isn't being who he really is so he doesn't even respect himself. Either that or he's unable to operate a calender and get his date of birth correct. And whilst I may not have a few billion views on Youtube, I at least get the basics right.
First of all, who are you to judge these people? Nobody's stopping you from giving criticism though. Second, I put strike-throughs to give it a line of sarcasm. Third, this thread stirs up potential beef and drama. Fourth, of course people experience failure even the most successful we've seen. Bill Gates' mom even probably called her son a failure at one point. Fifth, you don't need to be so defensive, I mean you started it and this is just a thread I guess.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
of all, who are you to judge these people? Nobody's stopping you from giving criticism though.
I'd have redrafted that one so it isn't a completely contradictory mess.
Either I have no right to judge, or I have every right to give criticism (rendering my judgement based upon opinion). Sooo you're gonna have to pick one, cos you can't have both.
Also, be very careful which you chose. Because if you pick the former, that makes you a hypocrite, as you've no right to judge me either and your entire response has been directed at me rather than debunking the points I've made. Or if you pick the latter, it nullifies the point of your response completely because I have every right to my opinion and you've made no points against the facts, just the person.

Cos even if I were a complete failure in life, living homeless under a bridge, hiding from creditors and police alike. It doesn't make what I said any less valid.

Second, I put strike-throughs to give it a line of sarcasm.
tenor.gif

Not only did I get that, but it still doesn't make what I said wrong. It's the most accurate thing you've written so far, and it was by accident.

Third, this thread stirs up potential beef and drama
Hahaha, alright, calm down Slim. Beef and drama? Where do you think this is? Compton? Why would it stir up beef? Remember, everyone is entitled to their opinions...
Nobody's stopping you from giving criticism though.
...so why would it 'start a beef'....

Fourth, of course people experience failure even the most successful we've seen. Bill Gates' mom even probably called her son a failure at one point.
I would hazard a guess that Bill Gates mom, of all people, never called him a failure. Mums are like that. But yeah, I'm glad you're learning something.

Fifth, you don't need to be so defensive, I mean you started it and this is just a thread I guess.
Defensive? Ha, not in the slightest. You're absolutely entitled to your opinions and views. I even defended your right to do so.
Just be prepared to stand by them whilst I tear them down. Because that's how debate and discourse works. You destroy each others points rather than going after the person.
But, since you wanted to go for the latter because you have nothing for the former, I'm more than willing to oblige that as well.

Either I have no right to judge, or I have every right to give criticism (rendering my judgement based upon opinion). Sooo you're gonna have to pick one, cos you can't have both.
Also, be very careful which you chose. Because if you pick the former, that makes you a hypocrite, as you've no right to judge me either and your entire response has been directed at me rather than debunking the points I've made. Or if you pick the latter, it nullifies the point of your response completely because I have every right to my opinion and you've made no points against the facts, just the person.

Cos even if I were a complete failure in life, living homeless under a bridge, hiding from creditors and police alike. It doesn't make what I said any less valid.

View attachment 60123
Not only did I get that, but it still doesn't make what I said wrong. It's the most accurate thing you've written so far, and it was by accident.

Hahaha, alright, calm down Slim. Beef and drama? Where do you think this is? Compton? Why would it stir up beef? Remember, everyone is entitled to their opinions...

I would hazard a guess that Bill Gates mom, of all people, never called him a failure. Mums are like that. But yeah, I'm glad you're learning something.

Defensive? Ha, not in the slightest. You're absolutely entitled to your opinions and views. I even defended your right to do so.
Just be prepared to stand by them whilst I tear them down. Because that's how debate and discourse works. You destroy each others points rather than going after the person.
But, since you wanted to go for the latter because you have nothing for the former, I'm more than willing to oblige that as well.
We all are entitled to opinions. Again, nobody's stopping you. Also 'Yes way', put strikethroughs.

"I'd have redrafted that one so it isn't a completely contradictory mess.
Also, be very careful which you chose. Because if you pick the former, that makes you a hypocrite, as you've no right to judge me either and your entire response has been directed at me rather than debunking the points I've made. Or if you pick the latter, it nullifies the point of your response completely because I have every right to my opinion and you've made no points against the facts, just the person."

Remember, this is about you, I don't choose whether you criticize or not. I'm simply stating why you shouldn't or 'should'.

View attachment 60123

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
2 lines, 2 contradictions, zero actual points. Well done.

We all are entitled to opinions. Again, nobody's stopping you. Also 'Yes way', put strikethroughs.
But oh did you try to stop me.

Remember, this is about you, I don't choose whether you criticize or not. I'm simply stating why you shouldn't or 'should'.
Erm, isn't that you telling me not to criticise? Best thing is, your sole reason to not criticise was 'they're more famous than you' as if that puts them above scrutiny. No real reasons, no defences or explanations about actions.
Just 'they're important, you're not'. That 'cult of celebrity' mindset is part of the damn problem. No one is above criticism or judgement. There is no cut off from that based upon views and subscribers. You can be a hollywood A lister and still be a complete and utter bellend (*coughs* Sean Penn). Youtubers are no exception.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Seems I've missed something here.

Shame, it looked fun.