the Mars Return SSTO Challenge (Via EmberSkyMedia)

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Hello there all!

I was exploring the ‘Records’ sub-forum and I came across this little gem of a challenge posted by EmberSkyMedia :

“Largest SSTO to land on Mars (with Return)
Largest SSTO to land on Venus (with Return)
The whole craft must return (minus fuel + used parachutes of course).
Score: Dry-Mass on return (so zero out your fuel before you do craft recovery).”
No refueling allowed.

It was an interesting idea, but then a reply by Space_geek25 got me thinking:

“I think it's impossible to land on mars/venus and back with an SSTO with no refueling. You need 3000m/s of Dv for reaching LEO, 2×900 for space travel and 2000 to reach LxO. It make approximately 6800m/s of Dv, so the rapport between wet and dry mass must be >12, or the maximum is 10. ( I supposed ISP=280 so it's even harder with Hawk or kolibri engines)with ions it must be possible but they are cheated.”

Then, add Mooncrasher ’s rule of “no modded engines for that kind of return record. :), plus not allowing any engine stretching, and…

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!

*Note: I did allow bp-editing, and no-heat settings on stacked engines to optimize functionality and mass, but only because I found it was impossible to do otherwise. However, there were no delta-v cheats, fuel% hacks, or other cheats used.

The first thing I had to determine was the maximum delta-V of an SSTO with a starting TWR of at least 1.10, using only standard engines. Choosing layered Frontier engines was an easy first step for their high isp and thrust combination.

The advantage-curve for the number of engines goes flat quickly after about 15, because of the increasing empty tank & engine mass you have to lug around, so ultimately, I settled on 12 engines. 12 lets you be powerful enough to carry the fuel and parachutes for a mars return, while keeping the craft light enough that parachutes aren't useless in descents.

Even with part modifications to ensure an ultralight rocket, and using every aerobraking opportunity we can, we can just barely meet the delta-V required.

( ~2875 m/s for reaching LEO )
( ~740 m/s for Mars Transfer)
( a smidge for Mars Landing Deceleration )
( ~920 m/s for reaching LMO )
( ~440 m/s for Earth Return Transfer )
( a smidge more for Earth Touchdown )

After five iterations, I came up with one final craft that checked all the boxes and could make the full trip-

the Mars Return - SSTO by Proxima, v.5
“MR-SSTOP5”

(or “Mr. Stops” for fun)

Here’s the full mission, and yes I do still feel guilty about putting a heat shield under the engines, but it couldn't seem to work around it with the other constraints and it’s functional and looks half descent so yea
Screenshot (241).png

Screenshot (243).png

Screenshot (244).png

Screenshot (245).png

Screenshot (246).png

Screenshot (247).png

Screenshot (248).png

Screenshot (250).png

Screenshot (253).png

Screenshot (255).png

Screenshot (256).png

The final mass, as required in the original record-challenge, would then be 175.46t after emptying the tanks back on Earth.

It can also be used as a normal SSTO to launch a max payload of 220t into LEO! Just drain the top two riveted tanks and attach the payload adapter/ballast included in the bp.

BP-
MR SSTO v5.zip

I’ll post the final build delta-V specs if anyone asks, but until then,

Cheers [TEA]

Attachments

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Hold up, why is the challenge "largest ssto to do x"
That doesn't make much sense, it's harder to make it smaller, making it bigger makes it easier

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
That doesn't make much sense, it's harder to make it smaller, making it bigger makes it easier
Agreed, that was my feeling as well, but I included EmberSkyMedia's original quoted post mainly to show the inspiration for this mission. My goal was just to see if a Mars Return SSTO Mission with no refuels and stock engines could be done at all.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow, that thing has 5093 m/s of ΔV if I'm not wrong. That's crazy. I noticed that you used a few tricks like shrinking the probe and heat shields to as thin you can or disabling the engine heat, but that's a great performance. :eek:

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow, that thing has 5093 m/s of ΔV if I'm not wrong. That's crazy. I noticed that you used a few tricks like shrinking the probe and heat shields to as thin you can or disabling the engine heat, but that's a great performance. :eek:
Disabling engine heat is pretty fair here, it's pretty broken currently

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Thanks! I have no idea how to do it smaller without editing parts like that. And correct, although, shedding the used parachutes after mars entry brings it up to 5,115.63 m/s ΔV in total. I would love to see if this can be beaten, after all I did have a spare 0.51% of fuel left in the bottom tank so it's possible! :p

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Right! It would be different if we had engine-clustering to save space, or if engines could withstand higher temperatures from atmospheric reentry, but they are pretty weak right now like you said.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If that can prevent people from building that kind of horrors to have their engines protected upon reentry, honestly I agree :p
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-28-00-52-55 (1).jpg

Thanks! I have no idea how to do it smaller without editing parts like that. And correct, although, shedding the used parachutes after mars entry brings it up to 5,115.63 m/s ΔV in total. I would love to see if this can be beaten, after all I did have a spare 0.51% of fuel left in the bottom tank so it's possible! :p
Honestly you already pushed the concept as far as possible, it would be hard to beat. Maybe it can be beaten if you allow ion engines for example, but then it's a different set of rules.

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Honestly you already pushed the concept as far as possible, it would be hard to beat. Maybe it can be beaten if you allow ion engines for example, but then it's a different set of rules.
True, well it was fun while it lasted

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Edit: if you want to be more specific, this could be classified as an SSTLAR (Single Stage to Landing and Return)

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Pronounced Ess-Ess-Tee-Lar
Oh I needed that haha, I've just been saying all the letters. But it feels like a missed opportunity to nickname it a "Stellar" ... But wait! Maybe that could be the name for a craft designed to travel interstellar distances in a single stage (Single stage To Escape, Landing, And Return) so it would be more like SSTELAR. But that's definitely a science fiction only type of thing.

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Yeah when I orginally concieved the idea I didn't realize there was a mass advantage.
Edit: if you want to be more specific, this could be classified as an SSTLAR (Single Stage to Landing and Return)
True, the goal of the mission was to leave and land and return with exactly what you left with minus fuel.

I didn't use the heating trick (and heat shields) and only managed to land on Phobos after my Mars decent and ascent before I ran out of gas, so I was short the dV for the return journey.