The RP Solar System

T

TtTOtW

I'll do one planet or moon at a time, that way we can get some good detail into each.

T

TtTOtW

MERCURY

Mercury is a little too hot for most. Not for the Professor though. He has been there since just after the beginning of the Empire. He has produced not only 83% of all batteries sold today, but he has done it without a single resource from Earth or Mars.

Meet Professor @Tymekx0. The man who drives your economy. He lives at the very southern pole of Mercury, and for good reason. The professor has been very busy around there of late. He has discovered a frictionless method of extracting silicate from Mercurian soil. How he does it, only he knows. He has impressively grown his solar farm (the panels of which are also 100% locally produced) to have barely 8000km between the charging stations located in a just barely sub-Mercurian orbit.

The hot side is safe. The cold side...

Solar and battery trade passes to the entire rest of the inner Solar System, he has a complete monopoly on the market. The sheer quantity of resources and energy makes his volumes and production quality unmatchable anywhere else. That makes it easy for pirates though. One way in, one way out. And with the shadow of Mercury itself they create their stealth. Mercury is notoriousy hard to land on though. Most pirates do not dare it in the dark. It has truly earned the nickname: the Graveyard. The Imperial forces patrol the route in and out of Mercury SOI diligently. But on occasion, a ship slips through. The consequences are tragic in most cases. But Guardian of Murcury and its citizens and workers, @MOONWALKER INDUSTRY'S, have pledged to eradicate piracy within 20 or fewer Mercurian years. A great task, for a great man.

MERCURY

Mercury is a little too hot for most. Not for the Professor though. He has been there since just after the beginning of the Empire. He has produced not only 83% of all batteries sold today, but he has done it without a single resource from Earth or Mars.

Meet Professor @Tymekx0. The man who drives your economy. He lives at the very southern pole of Mercury, and for good reason. The professor has been very busy around there of late. He has discovered a frictionless method of extracting silicate from Mercurian soil. How he does it, only he knows. He has impressively grown his solar farm (the panels of which are also 100% locally produced) to have barely 8000km between the charging stations located in a just barely sub-Mercurian orbit.

The hot side is safe. The cold side...

Solar and battery trade passes to the entire rest of the inner Solar System, he has a complete monopoly on the market. The sheer quantity of resources and energy makes his volumes and production quality unmatchable anywhere else. That makes it easy for pirates though. One way in, one way out. And with the shadow of Mercury itself they create their stealth. Mercury is notoriousy hard to land on though. Most pirates do not dare it in the dark. It has truly earned the nickname: the Graveyard. The Imperial forces patrol the route in and out of Mercury SOI diligently. But on occasion, a ship slips through. The consequences are tragic in most cases. But Guardian of Murcury and its citizens and workers, @MOONWALKER INDUSTRY'S, have pledged to eradicate piracy within 20 or fewer Mercurian years. A great task, for a greast man.
Thank You Emperor for bestowing this task on me, its an Honor and i will start construction on a battlestation and a new, fleet, i lost all my saves a couple weeks back, so it will take a day or so to replenish my stock. Sorry for my inactivity, Moderating the main subreddit and a secondary subreddit is taking up a good deal of free time, and the normal constant snow removal of winter, i have been putting in some hours,, and now im neck deep in coding and programming 101, looking to make MOONWALKER INDUSTRY'S a real game.

T

TtTOtW

Thank You Emperor for bestowing this task on me, its an Honor and i will start construction on a battlestation and a new, fleet, i lost all my saves a couple weeks back, so it will take a day or so to replenish my stock. Sorry for my inactivity, Moderating the main subreddit and a secondary subreddit is taking up a good deal of free time, and the normal constant snow removal of winter, i have been putting in some hours,, and now im neck deep in coding and programming 101, looking to make MOONWALKER INDUSTRY'S a real game.
Nice... :)

T

TtTOtW

VENUS

Venus has adorned Terran skies with that wandering star beauty for as long as man can remember. The natural companion to Luna, it is hard to believe that they are so far removed from each other... until you make the trip.

The landscape invokes images of prehistoric times. Mountains, spewing volcanoes and acid rain in abundance. What makes it worse, is that death trap of an atmosphere...

Which is why not an eyebrow remains unraised at anyone's prospect to terraform it. Nobody has succeeded since the very first efforts around 350 Earth years ago. A number of pirates call it home, though they are the more cowardly ones, targeting whoever has made it past the rough bunch hiding in the icy shadow of Mercury. The Empire has a number of stations around it to assist travellers' safety to and from Mercury.

Venus is the gateway to Mercury, and few can avoid it. Very, very few. It is also the gateway to every other planet when departing from Earth. Traffic control is critical around here, and if you stray from the stream, you're pirate food if they happen to find a place SE is not patrolling. Yes, they are cannibals. But they are not as violent as the lot at Mercury. And they can't land, so most of them are not there permanently. That makes them easier to expose.

Venus is a deeply dangerous place, from its surface to its skies, to its orbit. But you'll more likely lose your ship to an impact with a trader than to a pirate ship. You can only avoid it if you're on Earth and you never go past the Moon. But who does that these days?

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
"Venus is often known as the sister planet of Terra. Physically, it is very similar to Terra, whether it be mass, radius, or surface gravity. However, the similarities end here. Crushing atmosphere, sweltering surface temperature, sulfuric acid clouds, all play role to keep just about everybody off the white marble. Little do most players know that Venus is, without doubt, number one terraformation candidate in the Solar System. There are reasons why many players vie for control of this planet, especially when playing in a game where the technology limit excludes transhumanistic technologies, torchship drives, and beamed energy propulsions.

For anybody who wants to settle Venus and especially players who are set on the terraformation route, it is important to take note that Venus has virtually every element a human colony needs except hydrogen. With the importation of hydrogen from the outer Solar System, this issue can easily be solved. The thick atmosphere can then be reduced by using the Bosch reaction, which converts carbon dioxide and imported hydrogen into graphite and water, using iron as a catalyst and temperature of 800-1000 K. Sulfuric acid in the atmosphere can be collected and stored away or used in various industries.

It is possible to build facilities which use the Bosch reaction to turn the atmosphere into useful resources. The products from the reaction can then be used to aid terraformation further. Graphite can be converted into material useful for construction of infrastructures or into various kinds of hydrocarbons, useful as fuel, and water can be used to fill the lowlands, turning them into oceans, and some of it can be cracked to create oxygen atmosphere, mixing with the already-present nitrogen atmosphere to create a human-breathable atmosphere.

The planet's lack of magnetic field and intense sunlight can both be solved simply by creating a magnetic shield-solar shade/power collector, placed at the planet's L1. The power collectors built into the magnetic shield can be used to power both the magnetic field generator and the planet at the same time. The planet's painfully long rotational period can also be addressed by using smart orbital mirrors to reflect sunlight onto the planet. This is often preferable to spinning the planet up, which, if done badly, often results in significant, possibly devastating geological shifts. Other useful infrastructures include the launch loop and its more advanced cousin, the orbital ring, both of which can solve the needs to use the costly and wasteful rockets to escape from the planet's deep gravity well. Ground laser stations can also be used for beamed power launch, useful for locations without easy access to space elevators.

Venus has lots of potential as a terraformation candidate. It has surface gravity very close to Terra's, something only two terrestrial planets enjoy. With significant mass and proximity from Terra, the starting world, it almost always develops into a major transit point in a pre-torchship interplanetary society's interplanetary economy. With terraformation, it has the potential to become a very populous and important human world, possibly even competing with Terra itself."

- an excerpt from Terra's [Dawn of the Solar Civilization] Game Guide: Complete Edition, one of the ebooks sold by Starmaker-4 to the president of Mars.

Last edited:
T

TtTOtW

EARTH

This should be familiar, right? Wrong. This is over 500 years after what you deem to be the present time...

After the world economy fell flat, dumping even people like Gates and Bezos in instant poverty, riots flooded the world, and so did the blood of many. Only communism survived. And while nobody liked it, there was nowhere else to turn.

Enter Russia. Despite their lack of people compared to China, their real world tech, their resilience in impossible situations, their unflinching single-mindedness and their love of undrinkable things united them until even China became "New Lussia". Against this, the self-obsessed but stateless America stood no chance. For 238 years, the world was Russia, and Russia was the world.

Then, as Mars was being procedurally made an expansion of Earth, people out there became independent in their thinking. It took 47 years to bring 500 people to Mars. Then it boomed.

Earth became a desolate leftover community of gangs and rebels, and victims of these. Communism finally fell because now people had a choice. Space travel became cheap and widespread. A launch site popped up every 5000 miles or so. Private launches, home built rockets, sketchy quality and deals. Many millions died trying to get away.

A handful of men decided though that enough is enough. They banded together to form the Solar Alliance. They could not be more different, but all they wanted was peace. But, peace would demand war, first. And they were willing to shed that blood, and to have theirs drained from their own corpses, for this noble purpose.

"I am Ameerun Nujoom: Star Commander. Leader of the Solar Alliance. Greetings, and welcome to our first official Collective. My decisions are final, but I welcome suggestions. War is upon us. An arrow with many heads has no direction. I am your leader. I am Ameerun Nujoom."

And with these words, their brave leader united not only their minds, but their hearts.

Today, a mere 22 years later, they have grown into an Empire. They became the heroes of the weak, and the dread of the gangs. They went as far as Mercury and Jupiter and own all infrastructure in this range, apart from the personal property of the citizens.

The riots are occasional, but they are not to be feared anymore. With a titanium fist the Ameer brought peace, as they did in Global Russia. But free from communism, he ruled as Emperor over the Solar System.

Now Earth is terribly scarred. But it is finally safe under the command of Sanctor Daniel Batten *MT*/*SP*/*TE*,
once the co-founder of the Galactic Police Force, that soon realised it would be crushed amid a brewing war.

Most launch sites are now abandoned, in ruins. But what remains, are top notch facilities and strict standards for launch vehicles and spacecraft. Earth is no longer the world. But Earth is, once again, home.

It is abundant in resources. Oil was never as limited as they said half a millennium ago. Gold found in the Andes mountains. Chemistry reached untold highs. But trouble is brewing once again, as people become increasingly utopia-minded by the generalisation of space travel. The Solar Empire is gonna have to fight for what they built up from scratch. And it is going to start on Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
EARTH

This should be familiar, right? Wrong. This is over 500 years after what you deem to be the present time...

After the world economy fell flat, dumping even people like Gates and Bezos in instant poverty, riots flooded the world, and so did the blood of many. Only communism survived. And while nobody liked it, there was nowhere else to turn.

Enter Russia. Despite their lack of people compared to China, their real world tech, their resilience in impossible situations, their unflinching single-mindedness and their love of undrinkable things united them until even China became "New Lussia". Against this, the self-obsessed but stateless America stood no chance. For 238 years, the world was Russia, and Russia was the world.

Then, as Mars was being procedurally made an expansion of Earth, people out there became independent in their thinking. It took 47 years to bring 500 people to Mars. Then it boomed.

Earth became a desolate leftover community of gangs and rebels, and victims of these. Communism finally fell because now people had a choice. Space travel became cheap and widespread. A launch site popped up every 5000 miles or so. Private launches, home built rockets, sketchy quality and deals. Many millions died trying to get away.

A handful of men decided though that enough is enough. They banded together to form the Solar Alliance. They could not be more different, but all they wanted was peace. But, peace would demand war, first. And they were willing to shed that blood, and to have theirs drained from their own corpses, for this noble purpose.

"I am Ameerun Nujoom: Star Commander. Leader of the Solar Alliance. Greetings, and welcome to our first official Collective. My decisions are final, but I welcome suggestions. War is upon us. An arrow with many heads has no direction. I am your leader. I am Ameerun Nujoom."

And with these words, their brave leader united not only their minds, but their hearts.

Today, a mere 22 years later, they have grown into an Empire. They became the heroes of the weak, and the dread of the gangs. They went as far as Mercury and Jupiter and own all infrastructure in this range, apart from the personal property of the citizens.

The riots are occasional, but they are not to be feared anymore. With a titanium fist the Ameer brought peace, as they did in Global Russia. But free from communism, he ruled as Emperor over the Solar System.

Now Earth is terribly scarred. But it is finally safe under the command of Sanctor Daniel Batten *MT*/*SP*/*TE*,
once the co-founder of the Galactic Police Force, that soon realised it would be crushed amid a brewing war.

Most launch sites are now abandoned, in ruins. But what remains, are top notch facilities and strict standards for launch vehicles and spacecraft. Earth is no longer the world. But Earth is, once again, home.

It is abundant in resources. Oil was never as limited as they said half a millennium ago. Gold found in the Andes mountains. Chemistry reached untold highs. But trouble is brewing once again, as people become increasingly utopia-minded by the generalisation of space travel. The Solar Empire is gonna have to fight for what they built up from scratch. And it is going to start on Earth.
If u want safety u could just use this wall of words as a shield!

T

TtTOtW

MARS

While Earth is busy deceiving everyone with its beauty, Mars certainly is doing a great job of scaring people. But it is home to millions of people, many of whom have never gone beyond Deimos.

It sure is dry. Still, there are roads. There are destinations at the end of those roads.
And those destinations are green...

It is easy to forget the power vested in Mars. It is the military headquarters of the Solar Empire and it is the dream of almost every boy and girl to ride in its lightning fast Chariots, to become a soldier or to work in the extensive Holleinium industry. It is second to Earth only in terms of Solar orbital order and population numbers. The former is nature's design, and the latter is for security. The underground hangars are the stuff of legends. Only the best ships grace them. And, by the thousands... The entire System is ruled from here. It is not the capital, but it is its bodyguard.

Of late people here have had a shift in their thinking though. The concept of freedom became more real as private travel became more common between colonies. Mining is government owned now, but the wonderful prison that Mars is, has not stopped smuggling. Death sentences for treason have kept this in check though.

Mars shows such promise, such hope for freedom from the turmoil that makes everyone want to migrate from Earth to here. It is a slowly growing Imperial Utopia, not by accident, but by design. Can we keep it going that way? Only time will tell.

Fun fact: Any political faction that has a the words "democratic" and "people" at the front is highly likely to not be democratic, nor will they ever care about the people.

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
The Earth one makes the NUO look like a dumpster pile space program.

T

TtTOtW

PHOBOS

Of the moons of Mars, Phobos is the most accessible. And traders love it... Whoever has trade access to Mars SOI, will very likely land there before leaving. The food and chemical factories there run non-stop. It is among those suppliers of critical resources that stock up the storage facilities on Earth.

During military scouting it was found that the soil and rock of Phobos contain such riches of nutrients that literally every protein and fibre needed by humans are in abundance.Earth sends Mars water. Mars shares water with Phobos. Phobos supplies the entire Empire with 0g foods. It owns the market. Luxury, normal foods are available only from Earth though, since Mars does not produce nearly enough to export. So Phobos feeds the bulk of all space travellers.

It is otherwise uninhabited, unlike Earth's moon that, though industrial, still houses various large colonies. Its SOI is heavily protected though, so no pass, no go. The reason for this is the range of chemicals produced as byproducts of the food industry. These can of course be used for biological warfare, so Commander Gekkota keeps a tight string on Phobos.