The Tyranny of the Rocket Equation

Many of us have heard that phrase from NASA or other space enthusiasts, but what does it mean?

NOTE: I'll explain the rocket equation first. If you are familiar with it, you may want to skip down to the second part of the post- SSTOs.

The rocket equation, also known as the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation, was created by, you guessed it, Mr. Tsiolkovsky!

Remember, we're talking about Tsiolkovsky, this guy,
1550593965211.png
<Krazy Russian Rocket Scientist (Tsiolkovsky)

not Tchaikovsky.
1550593980996.png
<Krazy Russian Musician (Tchaikovsky)

(<3 you both)

Anywho, the rocket equation dictates what is possible with standard reaction mass rocket engines. Here it is:

1550594183774.png

where:

is delta-v – the maximum change of velocity of the vehicle (with no external forces acting).
is the initial total mass, including propellant, also known as wet mass.
is the final total mass without propellant, also known as dry mass.
is the effective exhaust velocity. Also,

---->where
is the specific impulse expressed as a time period
---->
is standard gravity = 9.80665 m/s2.
is the natural logarithm function.

(Courtesy of Wikipedia. Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation)

All rocketry is done by changing the velocity of your rocket. What this equation says is that the amount you can change velocity is related to the efficiency of the engine you are using and the amount of mass that is passed through the engine (the change in mass). When you have many empty fuel tanks, those are added mass that you don't need. It's better to drop that mass off (stage) and this is the equation which says that staging is good. Infact, staging is better than good.

TYRANNY.
Staging isn't just good; it's necessary.

The rocket equation is referred to as "tyrannical" because it limits how big we can make spacecraft and what we can do with them.

If you keep adding fuel, you get more delta-v, but it gets to a point where your thrust/weight ratio decreases faster than the delta-v increases. To lift off the planet requires a thrust/weight ratio of 1.0 at very least (1.5-1.2 is best), and that limits the amount of mass you can lift.

1550596020378.png

This shows the deltav available by using a grasshopper engine and lifting only a probe core.

As you can see, at some point the delta-v gained seems to level off, and at that point, you would be adding more mass but negligible delta-v. Thus, we avoid operating in that region*. We prefer to make stages which operate in the steaper region of the chart and discard the stages when they are empty. If you would like to read more about how big to make stages, take a look at this discussion: https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/spacecraft-design-optimization.2282/ Since that topic is already covered, I'll discuss something else.

*SSTO.

Ok, here's the interesting stuff. (PART 2) --------------

SSTO means Single Stage To Orbit, but I will also refer to SSTLARs, Single Stage To Landing And Return.

These are spacecraft which do not stage at all, but all hardware which leaves the launch pad is able to return to earth. The only change in mass is the consumed fuel.

Since these spacecraft do not have the luxury of staging, they are entirely confined to the above chart, with one major note: a ship can have multiple engines, and if different types of engines are used, the isp and thus the delta-v will be different. Rather than only using the most efficient engine, it may be better to use a higher thrust (yet lower Isp) engine, which conserves volume and mass which can be put toward fuel.

Ok, which of the ships below has a higher delta-v or thrust/weight ratio?

1550600412980.png

Actually, both ships have identical thrust/weight ratios and delta-v. Think of it this way: the proportion of fuel mass to engine mass is the same in both. If you took an engine off the larger ship, it would have higher delta-v, but it would not have the twr to take off from earth.

Now add a probe control on the top of each.
1550601347298.png

Since that additional mass is constant, it makes up a smaller proportion in the larger ship. Thus, the larger ship would have more delta-v and a higher twr.

Let's say we wanted to use only Frontier engines to do a SSTO mission. It has to take off, so we decide to keep the twr of 1.17 which the ship has without a probe. Placing a probe core on it hurts that delta-v and twr, so we keep adding fuel and engines (one engine per huge fuel tank) until the probe core is an insignificant mass compared to the rest of the ship. At that point, we are basically at the same delta-v and twr that a single fuel tank and engine have without the control- the difference is, now we can control the ship. So as we add more fuel and engines (at a given proportion), we approach the ideal of that proportion. We can never exceed it.

1550604492655.png

Assuming this ship has the same twr, it has the same delta-v as a single fuel tank and a single engine would. The difference is, this ship takes the entire building area to make (0 free volume) but has control. Using some larger engines may allow for takeoff (constant twr) with less mass in engines. In orbit, we could just use the efficient engines. This would not add delta-v, though, but it would change the efficiency of the lunch. Now, we assumed this has the same twr as a single fuel tank and engine. If the twr is less than that (<1.17) it will waste too much energy at takeoff. If it is greater, than it might be wasteing mass on engines. I do not know what the ideal twr is for takeoff, nor have I learned how to calculate it (yet!).

So here's what we know:
The most efficient engine (other than the ion engine) is this Frontier engine we are using. Any craft which can lift off from earth will have a minimal twr of (let's say) 1.1. A smaller twr will just cause a less efficient takeoff, but a higher twr will reduce available delta-v, while increasing the efficiency of launch (to a point).

Other than the efficiency during launch, the below spacecraft has the best delta-v for a SSTO spacecraft. A spacecraft could have higher launch efficiency, but lower available delta-v. We will only consider the available (theoretical) delta-v, not the launch efficiency.
1550605365237.png

And remember, we can't control this craft, but if we scale it up and add a control probe, the specs of the new spacecraft will be effectively the same as this one.

So how much delta-v does this spacecraft have?

285*9.81*LN(98/(98-90*.9))= 4897.64 m/s.

Remember the giant spacecraft I showed? Even with different twrs, the delta-v wasted during launch means that no Frontier-using SSTO can ever exceed this amount.

Keeping the twr of 1.17, the Titan has a delta-v of 4804.75 m/s. The Broadsword has 4978.85 (Better!). The Hawk has 4902.60, and the Grasshopper has 4732.61 m/s. What about the ion engine? It cannot sustain that twr, as a single engine plus a solar panel for power has a twr less than 1 (0.94).

Thus, Broadswords might be the best engine to use for a SSTO, but no SSTO can ever achieve more than 5k delta-v. Even if the calculated delta-v is greater than 5k, it will waste too much to get into orbit, and thus cannot do a mission that requires 5k delta-v.

Now, other stages which are not required to lift off from the ground can have higher delta-v than this. A large fuel tank with a single engine can have huge amounts of delta-v, but they cannot lift off, so they cannot be a SSTO.

Recently I showed how a spaceship with three parts could be a SSTLAR, landing and safely flying back to earth for recovery, but that cannot be done for a mission that requires more than 5k delta-v. Now, a SSTO could use a mix of engines, using high thrust engines to reach orbit more efficiently, and then using high-efficiency engines for orbital maneuvers, but this will never reach substantially higher than 5k m/s of delta-v.

A mission to land on Mercury and return would take about 8k m/s of delta-v, so it is impossible for a SSTLAR to perform its mission on Mercury with the current technology. No amount of brilliant engineering or careful calculations will change that. Without engines that have both high ISP and high thrust, such a mission cannot be done.

That is why the rocket equation is referred to as a tyrant. It cannot be worked around.

P.S. I would be so happy if someone was able to prove me wrong. It could be possible to do a mission like this with incredibly clever engineering, and here is how: high-thrust engines mixed with high-efficiency engines are used to get into orbit. The low-efficiency engines are turned off as soon as possible. Because of the mass of the engines, as discussed above, no SSTO ship will have higher than 5k delta-v. However, that minimizes loss during launch. Once in orbit, turn off all chemical rockets and use ion engines for maneuvers. A single ion engine will be ideal (multiple day mission?), since that won't add much mass. An ion engine uses 1/4th the fuel to do the same delta-v. For all ion-using maneuvers, we will just consider it taking 1/4th the delta-v. Thus, if about half the fuel is used to get into orbit (2400), there's 2600 left for maneuvers if chemical rockets are used. We need 2400 m/s to get to mercury, but with ion engines, it will only consume 1/4th. However, it will require the same amount on the return, so 2400/2 is 1200 m/s consumed, leaving us with 1400 m/s to land on and take off from mercury. That takes 900 m/s each for landing and taking off, so 1800 m/s, and we have 1400 m/s. We don't have enough in our delta-v budget. Plus, the takeoff delta-v of eath was extremely generous, and since the maneuvers are being done with ion engines, they take longer and cannot be done as efficiently. However, a venus flyby or even earth flyby could be used to reach mercury. With incredibly clever engineering, brilliant math, and ion engines, the problem could be solved, but not with the chemical engines we have. If the rocket equation is a tyrant, ion engines are the tyrant breaker.

MattWe

Registered
I'm at school right now on my phone, but when I get home I will look into this more. Have you ever thought of a design with multiple engine stages but don't split apart? Like and ion stage which would be really slow but would save incredible amounts of fuel. Pretty much my idea would be this
Screenshot_20190219-130905.png

I'm at school right now on my phone, but when I get home I will look into this more. Have you ever thought of a design with multiple engine stages but don't split apart? Like and ion stage which would be really slow but would save incredible amounts of fuel. Pretty much my idea would be this View attachment 13790
If the rocket doesn't split up, then it's not really in different stages. Would you use the docking clamp to let the capsule and ion engine fly away? If not, you don't need the docking clamp there. You can run an engine even if its built into your ship, making the exhaust hit the ship. You could use a ship like that, or put the ion engine down near the other engines if you wanted to. However, since ion engines have such low thrust, they're really designed for small stages. In an application like that, or in the PS I wrote, the ion engine has lots of dead mass it has to drag around, making it incredibly slow, even though it's efficiant.

If your ship is designed to split up (though I think you are saying it does not stage), I would recommend having a middle stage, following the 60% rule I mentioned in my post about design optimization.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Very good presentation, thank you :)

All of this is perfectly exact, but I would just like to add a precision, about why adding fuel again and again will lead to a finite delta-V. A physical explanation I like.

Here is an example:
Screenshot_20190219-220459_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
That rocket roughly has 3000 m/s of delta-V.
You may say, "if I want to double that, I just have to double its fuel capacity"... Like that:
Screenshot_20190219-220513_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Seems logical? Actually your new delta-V is now 4000 m/s. "What the hell, I expected to get 6000 m/s!"
What's happening so? :rolleyes:
The problem is that when you added a fuel tank, you also considerably increased the rocket mass, so it's more difficult to move it now. You still get more delta-V in the end, but not as much as expected.
So when you get into the process of increasing your delta-V that way, you actually add fuel, then you add even more fuel to propell the fuel you added, and so on...
If you wanted to raise your delta-V to 6000 m/s by only adding fuel, here is what you would end up with:
Screenshot_20190219-220738_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
That's not a joke! o_O

This is what the logarithm in the equation means in practice.

As @Johnkurveen said, the counter to that is staging. The rocket mass will still increase exponentially, but as this allows to get rid of the empty fuel tanks, this will allow far better performances in the end.

It still looks crazy? After all, you may say that a car that has 10 gallons of fuel in its tank would go twice further than a car with 5 gallons... That's (nearly) correct, but the difference is that a rocket is mostly compound of fuel. On the contrary, a few more gallons is a negligible mass for a car, so it has practically no impact.
Actually the Tsiolkovski equation would also apply to a car, but you would have to really add a crazy quantity of fuel to notice that.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I actually think about that last part often. Don't drag-racers always keep their fuel nearly empty for that reason? (plus probably to minimize damage on crash)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I actually think about that last part often. Don't drag-racers always keep their fuel nearly empty for that reason? (plus probably to minimize damage on crash)
Same with F1 as well back in the days when they could refuel when they liked. They'd run with just enough fuel for the time they'd need to set up and complete a flying lap and come in on fumes to minimise weight

MattWe

Registered
I was given a piece of information from a colleague of mine, saying that there is a limit amount of ∆v that a single stage may have. From what I can remember it was around 5k-6k. This does support SSTOs and possible before mentioned SSTLARs. A few ways around this are double stages that don't separate, which can be a slow process, but necessary to efficiency and success. Refuelling can be used, however, this can be viewed as "cheating".

I'm just getting into this topic but by the end of the night (or tomorrow night) I should be able to come up with "an answer" to my question of the max ∆v attainable by a stage, but also a list of all the ways around it. This report will be written formally and will be extensive, so be prepared.

I was given a piece of information from a colleague of mine, saying that there is a limit amount of ∆v that a single stage may have. From what I can remember it was around 5k-6k. This does support SSTOs and possible before mentioned SSTLARs. A few ways around this are double stages that don't separate, which can be a slow process, but necessary to efficiency and success. Refuelling can be used, however, this can be viewed as "cheating".

I'm just getting into this topic but by the end of the night (or tomorrow night) I should be able to come up with "an answer" to my question of the max ∆v attainable by a stage, but also a list of all the ways around it. This report will be written formally and will be extensive, so be prepared.
Yes, there totally is a limit to the amount of delta-v a single stage can have, and we can easily calculate it.

Let's imagine a rocket with a practically infinite amount of fuel, one control probe, and one Frontier engine. Because the fuel is so large, we can ignore the mass of all other parts. Thus, the initial mass of the spacecraft is the mass of the full fuel tank (wet mass), and the final mass is the mass of the empty fuel tank (dry mass). In this game, the dry mass of a fuel tank is always 10% of the wet mass. That ratio what is really important here. When you place initial mass over final mass, the size cancels out and you are left with the ratio of 1/0.1, or 10.

Now we go back to the rocket equation. Inside the natural log is just going to be 10, since that is the ratio of the mass of an empty tank to a full tank. The rest of the equation is dependent on the engine. Well, v is constant, and Isp for the Frontier is 285. (most efficiant engine other than ion engines). Thus, our equation becomes 285*9.81*ln(10)= 6,437.68. For a single stage to exceed that value, the Isp must be higher, but in the game, only ion engines have higher Isps.

This is also the reason our friend @Altaïr had to make such a big stage to reach 6000 delta-v: it's near the limit. But hang on, the limit delta-v depends on the Isp of the engine used, so again, every engine has it's own limit. In my post above, i talked about delta-v limits, but that was assuming enough engines to at least lift off. If you're not making a SSTO, that doesn't apply, but this limit still does. Again, it's the tyranny of the rocket equation!

You also mentioned using multiple stages that don't separate. However, stages are always marked by a separation event: without a separation, it's a single stage. What you are really saying is to use a high-thrust engine to get past the first limit (requiring twr), and then use a more efficiant engine to approach the second limit (fuel ratio). Yes, refueling could be used, but you would need to accelerate the fuel before you can transfer and use it. That's why staging is so beautiful! If you do come out with any ways around these limits, I would love to hear them!

Ok, here's some data. It's the limits for each engine assuming that engine mass is negligible.

Grasshopper/Titan: Isp, 244. Dv, 5511.56
Brodsword: Isp, 281. Dv, 6347.33
Frontier: Isp, 285. Dv, 6437.68
Ion: ISP, 1020. Dv, 23040.13

Yes, there totally is a limit to the amount of delta-v a single stage can have, and we can easily calculate it.

Let's imagine a rocket with a practically infinite amount of fuel, one control probe, and one Frontier engine. Because the fuel is so large, we can ignore the mass of all other parts. Thus, the initial mass of the spacecraft is the mass of the full fuel tank (wet mass), and the final mass is the mass of the empty fuel tank (dry mass). In this game, the dry mass of a fuel tank is always 10% of the wet mass. That ratio what is really important here. When you place initial mass over final mass, the size cancels out and you are left with the ratio of 1/0.1, or 10.

Now we go back to the rocket equation. Inside the natural log is just going to be 10, since that is the ratio of the mass of an empty tank to a full tank. The rest of the equation is dependent on the engine. Well, v is constant, and Isp for the Frontier is 285. (most efficiant engine other than ion engines). Thus, our equation becomes 285*9.81*ln(10)= 6,437.68. For a single stage to exceed that value, the Isp must be higher, but in the game, only ion engines have higher Isps.

This is also the reason our friend @Altaïr had to make such a big stage to reach 6000 delta-v: it's near the limit. But hang on, the limit delta-v depends on the Isp of the engine used, so again, every engine has it's own limit. In my post above, i talked about delta-v limits, but that was assuming enough engines to at least lift off. If you're not making a SSTO, that doesn't apply, but this limit still does. Again, it's the tyranny of the rocket equation!

You also mentioned using multiple stages that don't separate. However, stages are always marked by a separation event: without a separation, it's a single stage. What you are really saying is to use a high-thrust engine to get past the first limit (requiring twr), and then use a more efficiant engine to approach the second limit (fuel ratio). Yes, refueling could be used, but you would need to accelerate the fuel before you can transfer and use it. That's why staging is so beautiful! If you do come out with any ways around these limits, I would love to hear them!

Ok, here's some data. It's the limits for each engine assuming that engine mass is negligible.

Grasshopper/Titan: Isp, 244. Dv, 5511.56
Brodsword: Isp, 281. Dv, 6347.33
Frontier: Isp, 285. Dv, 6437.68
Ion: ISP, 1020. Dv, 23040.13
Wanted to point out that SFS only calculates to 9.8, not past that (It should be 9.806655).

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Wanted to point out that SFS only calculates to 9.8, not past that (It should be 9.806655).
Also, in the interest of absolute accuracy (not that it makes a balls of difference), the rated thrusts and ISP of the engines are slightly off from the tooltip to ''reality' because it uses 10 for gravity rather than 9.8. So for example the inflight thrust and ISP of a titan is 3000kn (rather than a converted 2942kn from 3000tons) and 244.98 seconds instead of 244 as shown.

I do not know what the ideal twr is for takeoff, nor have I learned how to calculate it (yet!).
What I've learnt in aerospace engineering is this thing called Launch Trajectory Optimization, I'll find a way to explain it since it is very complicated, some of them might need computer aided numerical simulations, but we can still get a pretty accurate number using just paper calculations.

What I've learnt in aerospace engineering is this thing called Launch Trajectory Optimization, I'll find a way to explain it since it is very complicated, some of them might need computer aided numerical simulations, but we can still get a pretty accurate number using just paper calculations.
And it includes ideal launch TWR?

Ha, if there's anything that winds Cosmo up on this forum, its KSP references, factions and SSTOs...
It's the modders of KSP that I am interested in referencing, I don't like the base game ever since the devs chose to add more parts than fixing the glitches. Factions are mindless, and SSTOs are effective as fighting a panzer with a tree branch.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Factions are mindless, and SSTOs are effective as fighting a panzer with a tree branch.
Amen. I've commented before on the complexity and pointlessness of the faction dialogue on here.

Ha, now I've got a vision of someone trying to break open a tank with a tree battering ram. Puts me in mind of the last Polish cavalry charges of WWII, with horses taking on Guderians panzer divisions with predictable and one sided results. That and stories I've heard from Bradley and Abrams crews on Phantom Fury being taken on by jihadis trying to knock out MBTs with AKs and realising their mistake just before being ran over by 60tons of nil fucks (as the sgt telling the story said it, it took a fortnight to clean parts out of the tracks).

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
For what? The Reds did all their calculations on paper and black boards and they can still develop rocket technology light years ahead of the Americans.
Same with Concorde. Designed on a slide rule using pencils. NASA freely admit that putting a man on the moon was simple compared to a viable supersonic airliner

Same with Concorde. Designed on a slide rule using pencils. NASA freely admit that putting a man on the moon was simple compared to a viable supersonic airliner
The concorde is far more complicated than a spaceship, in fact any supersonic aircraft is. In space you don't have to deal with aerodynamics a lot, in fact the only parts that deal with aerodynamics is the L/V and the return capsule. However neither needs to stay in the air for long, the launch typically lasts around 8 minutes and the re-entry only last around 10 mins. Aerodynamic heating for those two is very great but the profile just lasts that short amount of time.

The White Princess "Concorde" however has to endure heating for 3 hours! It also needs an aerodynamically feasible body that (from personal experience) is a pain in the ass to design, even when we have softwares like CFD and AutoCAD to simulate it, the poor engineers in the 1980s had to build the whole damn model and test it in the wind tunnel.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
The concorde is far more complicated than a spaceship, in fact any supersonic aircraft is. In space you don't have to deal with aerodynamics a lot, in fact the only parts that deal with aerodynamics is the L/V and the return capsule. However neither needs to stay in the air for long, the launch typically lasts around 8 minutes and the re-entry only last around 10 mins. Aerodynamic heating for those two is very great but the profile just lasts that short amount of time.

The White Princess "Concorde" however has to endure heating for 3 hours! It also needs an aerodynamically feasible body that (from personal experience) is a pain in the ass to design, even when we have softwares like CFD and AutoCAD to simulate it, the poor engineers in the 1980s had to build the whole damn model and test it in the wind tunnel.
Yeah, and unlike the fighter of the day that went supersonic for a few minutes, land and then have the engines re-built, basically Concorde landed after 2 hours at Mach 2, they'd hoover the inside, fill the tanks and take straight back off again.