Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Also, what’s with the Saturn V with Booster thingy? You can easily send a manned rocket to the moon using just 1 Titan engine. 3 titans should be used for interplanetary flight. 3 hawks are suitable for orbit.
Depends what he's got under those fairings. I'll admit 5 titan engines is over kill unless he's at 1500t launch weight, and it looks like he's on about half that, but it's all contextual to payload weight.
I've done Jupiter with 3 grasshoppers, but only because there was zero payload except the probe to control it.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Nice lander :)

Astro is right, you don't need so much Titans. Also, those engines are very good to overcome Earth gravity, but they are very greedy. So once you're high enough and you're on a long ballistic trajectory, they are not useful anymore, at that stage you should swith to Frontier engines which are way more efficient. If you pass Karman line with Titans still burning, you clearly rely too much on them and you will waste fuel. Believe me, the Titan is the worst engine in space.

I would also recommend to split your rocket into more stages: when you separate an empty stage, you alleviate the rest of your launcher from a lot of dead weight.

What I do is usually this:
- 1st stage with Titan/Hawk engines, that will burn until 15-20 kilometers.
- 2nd stage with Frontier engines (Broadsword for a small rocket) that finishes satellization.
- 3rd stage does the trans-lunar injection.

From there, you can either add more stages, or if your 3rd stage is big enough, use it for your maneuvers around the Moon etc...

Try to apply this, and if your trajectory is good enough, you'll be surprised to see how little power you really need for a Moon mission.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Yeah Its incredible the little power we need get to the Moon on this game. Some of the smallest lunar rockets here, woudn't even make it suborbital in Real Life.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah Its incredible the little power we need get to the Moon on this game. Some of the smallest lunar rockets here, woudn't even make it suborbital in Real Life.
Ha, not just the smallest ones. Most SFS lunar rockets haven't even got the Dv you'd need to hit the parking orbit that Apollo used pre-TLI

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Oh come on... that rocket could make the moon even without inf fuel... why the cheats...