Dyson Sphere

The First Dysonaut
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Registered
I have tried to complete this mission repeatedly but just can’t slow down enough to orbit Mercury. I have about 57% fuel before entering the gravity field of Mercury. Here’s what I did to get to Mercury and where I ended up. I used two gravity assists from Venus. What can I do to save fuel and other suggestions?

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ever since elliptical orbits you need to watch out which way you enter.
When you use Venus to lower your periapsis, make sure the resulting periapsis is on the right side of Mercury's orbit, where it is closest to the sun. That way your encounter velocity will be much less.:D

Attachments

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hello Dyson Sphere,

In addition to the advice given by Mooncrasher, you should be careful to your trajectory when you intersects Mercury's trajectory, this really change things.

When you exit Venus after your gravity assist, your trajectory should ideally look like that:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-09-35-35.jpg
See how my transfer trajectory is practically tangent to Mercury's orbit?

Then when you manage to get an encounter, make sure you adjust your periapsis as close as possible to Mercury. Now, this is my situation when I enter Mercury's SOI:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-09-40-46.jpg
See my speed? It's only slightly above 1100 m/s. In comparison with yours that is above 5800, that changes everything.

Then when you want to slow down, wait for your ship to be close to the periapsis: the maneuver is cheaper when it's done close to the planet (this is the Oberth effect):
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-09-41-33.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-09-41-42.jpg

In the end, I can land quite easily:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-09-44-56.jpg
If I can call this a landing...

If your encounter trajectory is like this:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-10-06-32.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-06-10-09-27.jpg
Then it's not optimal, you can see that now my speed is 3000 m/s. Now it's a guaranteed fail.

Dyson Sphere

The First Dysonaut
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Registered
Thank you Mooncrasher and Altaïr for the tips and advice. I hope this will help me.