Solved Venus landing help

A

andyminhho

I cant land then get into orbit around Venus again, nevertheless return to earth. Help pls

Gecko Gekkota

Former Empress of the AE
Forum Technician
I cant land then get into orbit around Venus again, nevertheless return to earth. Help pls
From what i have read from experts on the forums, you cannot escape venus like you would elsewhere, your craft needs to be extremely aerodynamic, and you'd probably need to keep your thrust low, do not lift off at 100% thrust

E

Earlmilly1

To get there, ave a direct encounter (No orbit. go straight into the atmo from sun orbit)
that is what I do.

T

TtTOtW

Earl is right, the atmosphere is crazy thick. Make sure you have a parachute and dive deep (periapsis of around 20km or less will trap you in the atmosphere so no need for retrograde burn). To escape is the next challenge. But do a few landings first.

MattWe

Registered
Getting to Venus is quite difficult. Here's a couple pointers:
  • Plan your rocket carefully. You wanna know exactly what stages will land, which will be for liftoff, circulation, and so on.
  • Aerobrake. Meaning fly through the atmosphere of the planet in question. that way you can save a lot fuel by not having to retrograde into orbit.
  • Parachutes. Lots and lots of parachutes.
  • Fairings. Right now in 1.4.1 they are disabled, but it is still key to use them. so when your exiting Earth, don't jettison your fairings. they are very helpful in cutting through the atmosphere at Venus.
  • Lots of stages. I usually use a 4-6 stage rocket (i know thats big) that way I can get rid of dead weight faster. The stages are as follows: Liftoff-exiting earth atmosphere. Next, circultating orbit and getting your encounter with venus (This stage will normally be the lander stage). Then the next 2 stages are for escaping venus' atmoshpere. The final stage is for circulation and returning to earth.
Hope this helps!