What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in SFS?

S

Spacey1100

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in SFS? I recall one time I decided to directly inject into Mars; so it basically meant I was in a straight line heading for Mars. When I hit the atmo I realized I wasn't slowing down at all, and my craft exploded lol

T

The Dark in the Light

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in SFS? I recall one time I decided to directly inject into Mars; so it basically meant I was in a straight line heading for Mars. When I hit the atmo I realized I wasn't slowing down at all, and my craft exploded lol
I did something similar, but went at Enceladus at 5km/s, it was intentional. Trying to build a colony and many fails having to reload saves to tilt rocket a bit to see if it wont disintegrate on impact

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I tried to aerobrake on the Moon.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
B I G B R U H M O M E N T how did you mess up like that btw?
I was probably really tired...
Actually I never did this but that's the dumbest thing I could imagine. :p

Otherwise one of my biggest fail was a Moon mission (Apollo style). Everything went well until reentry. My capsule was about to touchdown and... The stage I jettisoned before reentry fell on it and destroyed it. It's one small fail for a man...

I also had some hilarating crashes while I was attempting some crazy gravity assists.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I tried to aerobrake on the Moon.
Ha, remember when parachutes 'worked' on the moon?

I also had some hilarating crashes while I was attempting some crazy gravity assists.
If you haven't spanked into a planet/moon at ludicrous speeds doing gravity assists then they're not being done right.

I think there's a whole thread somewhere dedicated to me failing one thing or another. My most popular video is one of my dropships spazzing out and snapping into 3 pieces during a drop

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
I used to have my periapsis at around 500 meters when going for lunar landings, and would attempt to land going like 700m/s

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

If you haven't spanked into a planet/moon at ludicrous speeds doing gravity assists then they're not being done right.

I think there's a whole thread somewhere dedicated to me failing one thing or another. My most popular video is one of my dropships spazzing out and snapping into 3 pieces during a drop
Ah, I don't remember about the chutes on the Moon... It still works on Europa though.

I completely agree about the gravity assist. The perfect gravity assist is when you lightly scratches the paint of your ship during your fly-by.

Speaking about that, I remember doing a close fly-by with a ship that had solar panels deployed. The panel below hit the ground and got destroyed, while the rest of the ship continued on its way spinning at crazy speed. That was just a little too close :p

During my Constellation Saturn mission, I forgot to park the mothership in an orbit away from other moon encounters. So at the end of the mission I tried to find the ship, but its gone.

Turns out it crashed into Enceladus after 5 minutes of furious searching through all my save files. Had to do all the moon landings again.

During my Constellation Saturn mission, I forgot to park the mothership in an orbit away from other moon encounters. So at the end of the mission I tried to find the ship, but its gone.

Turns out it crashed into Enceladus after 5 minutes of furious searching through all my save files. Had to do all the moon landings again.
Always practice safe parking kids.

1578236819894.png

This is better off than my first gas giant mission, during my mission to Jupiter I had the same problem. The mothership slingshot past every single moon encounter, miraculously not crashing into any of them, and got yeeted out Jupiter's SOI. Its no problem cuz I can just fire some thrusters to get the ship back into Jupiter encounter, so i didn't learn my lesson the first time.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Plan out a Moon return and the plan goes smoothly, except I forgot parachutes.
Docking ports. Back before the days of drop pods, I used to use ridiculously complex garages. I've still got entire 2000t expeditions in orbit of planets because I can't assemble the landing equipment.

This is better off than my first gas giant mission, during my mission to Jupiter I had the same problem. The mothership slingshot past every single moon encounter, miraculously not crashing into any of them, and got yeeted out Jupiter's SOI. Its no problem cuz I can just fire some thrusters to get the ship back into Jupiter encounter, so i didn't learn my lesson the first time.
Same. Second time I went to Jupiter in an attempt to create a permanent base in Ganymede orbit. I'd barely got the first attempt in position, and the second and third, much more ambitious ones, were coming simultaneously.
The second contained the entire space station in flat pack, the third was 2x 600t fuel tanks, being pushed by the 'Flying Croissant' SDU. The station arrived fine after a very conventional direct burn. The second, I tried being cool and doing ping-pong gravity assists (not VEEGA) and ended up in an anti-clockwise orbit around Ganymede thinking 'how the fuck am I supposed to dock now' as they tore past each other at 2,000m/s relative.
I ended up burning the entire fuel supply of the SDU (a mean feat considering it's powered by ions and carries a few hundred tons of fuel) reversing the orbit, docking and then using the newly arrived fuel tanks to re-fuel the SDU that had just delivered them so it could get back the Earth orbit.

Made a wrong gravity assist. I thought I was going to enter counterclockwise but it was supoosed to be clockwise, so I reduced my apoapsis instead of increasing it.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
I built and crashed a special contraption using a bug that not only caused my game to crash but my entire iPad. Nearly fking wiped it

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
When I recently bought the expansion, I wasn't used to the Ion engines, So I placed them in reverse.

Undersized retros are always a great fail, get out to Jupiter and realize there’s no damn way I’m going to pull it into orbit...
Give it everything, fire the rcs...ahhh!
Goodbye Jove, goodbye Sol

LOX

Registered
Waiting for an update thinking it would actually be released.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Undersized retros are always a great fail, get out to Jupiter and realize there’s no damn way I’m going to pull it into orbit...
Give it everything, fire the rcs...ahhh!
Goodbye Jove, goodbye Sol
When 1.4 was just released many YouTubers posted a "Landing on Jupiter" vídeo. It was fun to see them falling past height 0.

S

Spacey1100

When 1.4 was just released many YouTubers posted a "Landing on Jupiter" vídeo. It was fun to see them falling past height 0.
Believe me guys, we've all been there at least once. My lil brother freaked out when he sank into Jupiter lol...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
QUOTE="Spacey1100, post: 78251, member: 2993"]What's the dumbest thing you've ever done in SFS?[/QUOTE]

Waiting for an update thinking it would actually be released.
Spending 18 months doing little more than freaking out about a free to play mobile game because it's not being updated fast enough .