Would travel to other stars be feasible with parts we have?

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The question is as such:

Taking into consideration that SFS Stock is scaled to be 1:20 size of real life, and that for the sake of comparison we take the Proxima Centauri, our closest stellar neighbor, and scale all of it's parameters to game's normal mode, would the ∆v required to reach it be reasonably obtainable with parts that are currently available?

If you can get me some antimatter, a vacuumized sealed space, dilithium and a coffee and ship it to Germany...

I'll build you an interstellar drive, maybe!!!

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
The question is as such:

Taking into consideration that SFS Stock is scaled to be 1:20 size of real life, and that for the sake of comparison we take the Proxima Centauri, our closest stellar neighbor, and scale all of it's parameters to game's normal mode, would the ∆v required to reach it be reasonably obtainable with parts that are currently available?
Do you mean currently available in real life or just in SFS, cause I mean ion engines…

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
What are the definitions of reasonable?

It is possible even at Realistic game difficulty already, not only at Normal.

S

Sportgus

Yeah I think it would be possible. Ion engines would be pretty good for that.
Acarii drives:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Going to Proxima Centauri is definitely possible, all you really need is to reach escape velocity, like in the Voyager quest. Now the real question is how much time you would need to reach the destination. Proxima Centauri is 4.25 light-years away from us in real life, that would be 2×10^12 kilometers ingame (a "2" followed by twelve zeros).

Yesterday I completed a challenge escaping the solar system at 28.2 km/s. At that speed It would need... 2249 years to reach the destination :eek:

We would need to time-warp a little to help...

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Going to Proxima Centauri is definitely possible, all you really need is to reach escape velocity, like in the Voyager quest. Now the real question is how much time you would need to reach the destination. Proxima Centauri is 4.25 light-years away from us in real life, that would be 2×10^12 kilometers ingame (a "2" followed by twelve zeros).

Yesterday I completed a challenge escaping the solar system at 28.2 km/s. At that speed It would need... 2249 years to reach the destination :eek:

We would need to time-warp a little to help...
something like... time acceleration x10M!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
something like... time acceleration x10M!
10 millions? It would still require 2 hours. But it's doable if you have the patience.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
well... 1 billion???
I just tested, the max is 500 millions, so half of what you say:
Spaceflight Simulator_2023-03-07-17-43-32.jpg
It would require 142 seconds at that speed. So yes, it's doable, even without ions. Now the problem is to be able to brake when you arrive...

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I just tested, the max is 500 millions, so half of what you say:
View attachment 100140
It would require 142 seconds at that speed. So yes, it's doable, even without ions. Now the problem is to be able to brake when you arrive...
wait. max 500m? huh. there must have an hard limit to it.
anyways. you prob need alot of freaking fuel to just able to descend to the orbit, and lot of thrust. although, who really needs... thrust? i mean you can put frontiers in there. not titans.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
wait. max 500m? huh. there must have an hard limit to it.
Wait, I've checked, it depends on the solar system, it's probably based on its scale. So time-warping wouldn't be the problem.
So it's definitely doable.

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Wait, I've checked, it depends on the solar system, it's probably based on its scale. So time-warping wouldn't be the problem.
what the hell?
so timewarp limit depends on solar system!?
really small universe means lower timewarp limit,
for example, max is 500x when you pick an really small one.

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I have experienced some extreme max timewarp speeds on Mini Milky Way for example. The speed was actually displayed in a scientific form at one point! However, these extreme timewarps can easily crash the game after a moment