Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Absolutely not. The forum is much better off without them.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Nah... It won't come back anymore....

How bout emojis? :p

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Who said like will be back !?

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Because of likebots, likes were given to any post, regardless of quality. Basically, you could spam meaningless posts and get far more likes than someone who writes longer, more thought out messages. And the ranks were based on likes too, so there was actually an incentive to spam. So no, likes returning is not a good idea.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Because of likebots, likes were given to any post, regardless of quality. Basically, you could spam meaningless posts and get far more likes than someone who writes longer, more thought out messages. And the ranks were based on likes too, so there was actually an incentive to spam. So no, likes returning is not a good idea.
Yes

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Let me put this another way.
Mars, you and your inability to not tear the ass out of something once you've got your mind into it are pretty much the reason why likes were removed.
Obviously I'm not saying you were the only, or even the first.

There were other likebots about that pre-dated you by a long time.

But like any ecosystem, there existed a certain...balance. All things in moderation. A few here and there. Maybe break double figures overnight if someone wanted to tip you over a threshold.

But once you (you weren't alone. There are a few other users reading this, whom know who they are) decided to go back months and even years to like absolutely every single post ever made and spam hundreds of short and ultimately pointless 'XD' or 'lol' messages randomly around every single thread to swell your post numbers, that balance broke.

I used to have a screenshot on my other tablet after one particularly heavy session of likebot and 'lol XD :p' that resulted in me gaining one hundred and fucking seventy notifications in 8 hours, almost all of which were you.
I actually missed replies to conversations because the notifications for such had been buried under mounds of bullshit spam.

Thanks to that, the old system of merit based on likes and posts didn't work anymore and collapsed. Because just like any currency, hyperinflation and excessive abuse of the system led to them becoming worthless. Even efforts to balance things by changing the goalposts, bumping up the required numbers, making it so non - SFS posts and likes didn't count for example, didn't work.
There was always new places in the SFS section to like and spam. Like locusts, you wouldn't be deterred.

Eventually, this caused huge problems for other users that you have no idea about. The eventual resolution of which became the reason for the like removal and the rank structure reworking into an objective set of challenges.

That is why likes will never return. Because not having them stops the spam, by removing the incentive, no, the reward for spamming.

So whenever you or anyone else looks longingly at the place where the like button used to sit, wishes it was still around so you could show appreciation of a mission, challenge, build, concept or post well done, laments that you can't and wonders why it was removed, look no further for the reason.

You. And all your likebot friends looking for a quick laugh.

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I used to have a screenshot on my other tablet after one particularly heavy session of likebot and 'lol XD :p' that resulted in me gaining one hundred and fucking seventy notifications in 8 hours, almost all of which were you.
wow thats alot of spam

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
HORUS LUPERCAL said:
'lol XD :p'

It's just absolutely hilarious to imagine you actually saying that for real.
And that, gives me a huge smile XD

laments that you can't and wonders why it was removed
I don't wonder why it got removed or lament of the loss of it either.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
HORUS LUPERCAL said:
'lol XD :p'

It's just absolutely hilarious to imagine you actually saying that for real.
That is actually the first and only time anything I've ever written, anywhere, has contained an emoji.

And even then I copy-pasted it from 'someone' cos I refused to write it.

Octacorpus

Parrots lover
Team Judge
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
That is actually the first and only time anything I've ever written, anywhere, has contained an emoji.

And even then I copy-pasted it from 'someone' cos I refused to write it.
Epic