Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Now it looks more like Australia than Texas.
Yeah, it is officially lookin like Australia. Thinking of naming it something cool like AUS2021 or some other asteroidal type designation.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Nah, overall. It's me at 60kt, danny at 20kt and then this asteroid.
Great...:oops:

Alright, I’m gonna need you to break the news on what this is gonna cost to get orbital. I’ll worry about the final solar orbit later, but just to reach orbit? I know my phone is gonna hate the answer...pretty sure it was at around 15 cores for the 8kt version...I don’t know if I want to hear the answer...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Great...:oops:

Alright, I’m gonna need you to break the news on what this is gonna cost to get orbital. I’ll worry about the final solar orbit later, but just to reach orbit? I know my phone is gonna hate the answer...pretty sure it was at around 15 cores for the 8kt version...I don’t know if I want to hear the answer...
Screenshot_2021-03-11-18-16-19.png

As your bog standard 2 stage rocket, you're talking 101,000tons including payload.
A 35kt second stage and a 39kt first stage.

This is assuming 3,000m/s to orbit cos 1,5 drag is better than what I'm used to. In 1.4.06, it'd cost me about 140,000 to do this with Komodo cos 3,600m/s to orbit cos draaaaaaag. 3,000 gives you a bit of a buffer to get to a decent orbit.

When you said solar, how far out are you talking?

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
When you said solar, how far out are you talking?
I was thinking of putting it into an orbit just higher than that of earths. Maybe I’ll move it farther eventually, but got to start small.

What do the engine requirements look like for the two stages? I’m seeing 300 Titans if I’m not mistaken, then 350 Hawks?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
What do the engine requirements look like for the two stages? I’m seeing 300 Titans if I’m not mistaken, then 350 Hawks?
Oh no. Stage one has 350 titan engines. Stage two is 100 titans and 300 frontiers. If you want to go all frontiers to bring the stage weights down, 500 frontiers for S2 and 300 titans for stage 1 with a 91kt rocket.

I was thinking of putting it into an orbit just higher than that of earths. Maybe I’ll move it farther eventually, but got to start small.
'small', just to get that out of Earths SOI will require a 7kt transfer stage.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Oh no. Stage one has 350 titan engines. Stage two is 100 titans and 300 frontiers. If you want to go all frontiers to bring the stage weights down, 500 frontiers for S2 and 300 titans for stage 1 with a 91kt rocket.
Well, there is no going back now. I’m gonna get this into orbit one way or another. I’ll have to keep brainstorming this, but I’ll probably need a new launch vehicle or else I’m gonna need 40ish cores just for stage one.

So for this, I should subtract the engine weight out of the total stage weight, then use that as the fuel requirements I’ll need to meet? If so, I’m pretty sure it’ll just be a matter of fitting as many fuel tanks and engines into one blueprint as possible, then multiplying that out till the requirements are met.

Side question, how exactly does one stage 400 engines on a second stage..?

'small', just to get that out of Earths SOI will require a 7kt transfer stage.
Yeah...start ‘small’...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So for this, I should subtract the engine weight out of the total stage weight, then use that as the fuel requirements I’ll need to meet?
No need, the sheet I showed you, the dark blue column is fuel weight in tanks, rather than the total stage mass. You just have to add that much fuel and that many engines

If so, I’m pretty sure it’ll just be a matter of fitting as many fuel tanks and engines into one blueprint as possible, then multiplying that out till the requirements are met
That's all komodo is. 4 blueprints copy and pasted a sufficient number of times to lift the payload required. It's why it can theoretically lift any payload mass you can think of. I've ran a simulation with it for TT where it lifted all the components required (all 90 million tons of them) to complete a 1:1 scale Death Star.

Side question, how exactly does one stage 400 engines on a second stage..?
You don't. That's the other reason behind Komodos design. She had 1100 engines, and they were all on from launch. I just staged them off when they weren't needed.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
You don't. That's the other reason behind Komodos design. She had 1100 engines, and they were all on from launch. I just staged them off when they weren't needed.
So how would a stage like that work in this instance?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I’m just thinking how an integrated first and second stage would look. Not necessarily the whole vehicle.
Honestly, the only way you're gonna do it is either a sideways single stage cathedral or something like komodo with asparagus staging

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Honestly, the only way you're gonna do it is either a sideways single stage cathedral or something like komodo with asparagus staging
Alright, I’ll have to look into it more.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Turning on that many engins takes several minutes. You'll be on the ground before you get halfway through it
Yeah, that’s the reason I asked. I might try and wait till the staging update comes, would solve a lot of problems. Though, who known when that will be...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
With Komodo, the rocket is set up so each section burns out in sequence from bottom to top. That way staging is as easy as pressing one docking port when a particular piece runs out of fuel and it drops 3,000-10,000t sections away for me. Cos the engines are always on, I don't have to mess around.

It's much more efficient that way as well, cos I don't have unlit engines as dry mass on upper stages, they're all needed all the time

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
With Komodo, the rocket is set up so each section burns out in sequence from bottom to top. That way staging is as easy as pressing one docking port when a particular piece runs out of fuel and it drops 3,000-10,000t sections away for me. Cos the engines are always on, I don't have to mess around.

It's much more efficient that way as well, cos I don't have unlit engines as dry mass on upper stages, they're all needed all the time
That’s kinda what I was thinking as well. Trying to figure out the sequences while meeting the required delta-V may be a challenge though. I’ll figure it out though.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Time to do some things but I´m on IOS so I got the IOS: as for the IOS community
  • Make an asteroid in space but with different textures than Phobos or Deimos.
  • IOS: Launch an asteroid by making it with Structural, a probe in the center, and a docking port
  • Make sure the Asteroid is made as an NEA(Near Earth Asteroid), or part of the main belt where most asteroids are.
  • Make a mission to mine the asteroid
  • Have fun rocketing!!!
I played with this. A man-made structure has the same problems as a large space station. Asteroids made in custom worlds are not minable. My idea was to place a massive object somewhere in the solar system and then attempt to "push/pull" it back to earth. It's doable but anything truly massive is going to be problematic. Getting it into position is enough to discourage most. Always looking for new opportunities and ideas