Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Any idea what empty mass is?
If we use a general number of an empty tank weighing 10% of the full tank, then somewhere around 2kt. The actual total is likely a bit higher than that.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Well, there is no going back now. I’m gonna get this into orbit one way or another. I’ll have to keep brainstorming this, but I’ll probably need a new launch vehicle or else I’m gonna need 40ish cores just for stage one.

So for this, I should subtract the engine weight out of the total stage weight, then use that as the fuel requirements I’ll need to meet? If so, I’m pretty sure it’ll just be a matter of fitting as many fuel tanks and engines into one blueprint as possible, then multiplying that out till the requirements are met.

Side question, how exactly does one stage 400 engines on a second stage..?

Yeah...start ‘small’...
Build outside the box

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
It makes working it all out much easier. It works out the relative burn times and ΔV for me so I know what I'm building will work
That’s definitely one area where I fall short in terms of launching large craft. Previous to this, I just slapped a bunch of boosters together and hoped I had enough margins to reach orbit. I don’t think that strategy is gonna cut it for this type of mission.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Is told to condense posts. Immediately doesn't.
As soon as I realized people were actively posting I stopped. What is the purpose of your post? I'm BOT and you're back on ignore. My apologies guys.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That’s definitely one area where I fall short in terms of launching large craft. Previous to this, I just slapped a bunch of boosters together and hoped I had enough margins to reach orbit. I don’t think that strategy is gonna cut it for this type of mission.
It's a shame you're on iOS, I'd lend you the komodo sections to use.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
It's a shame you're on iOS, I'd lend you the komodo sections to use.
Nah it’s all good. Got to make it a challenge somehow! Who knows, maybe Stef will add file support on iOS with the next update like he showcased a little while back (though again, who knows when that actually may release).

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
As soon as I realized people were actively posting I stopped. What is the purpose of your post? I'm BOT and you're back on ignore. My apologies guys.
The point is you should know, had been told and immediately did it again. It doesn't matter if people were talking or not.

And please ignore me. You ignore pretty much everything else, so no change.

Nah it’s all good. Got to make it a challenge somehow! Who knows, maybe Stef will add file support on iOS with the next update like he showcased a little while back (though again, who knows when that actually may release).
Ha, don't hold your breath.

It's quite difficult to work out off hand though. It took me a few days of experimenting with the spreadsheet to figure out the engine/fuel balance per stage to get it to work

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Ha, don't hold your breath.
Oh believe me, I’m not.

It's quite difficult to work out off hand though. It took me a few days of experimenting with the spreadsheet to figure out the engine/fuel balance per stage to get it to work
Yeah, it’s definitely beyond the range of scope of my usual projects. I’ll try throwing something together maybe later tonight if I get a chance, and see what you have to say if that’s alright with you?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, it’s definitely beyond the range of scope of my usual projects. I’ll try throwing something together maybe later tonight if I get a chance, and see what you have to say if that’s alright with you?
Aye, it's a huge undertaking. Everyone thinks throwing massive payloads is a case of shouting POWER! and adding moar boostaz. I mean, it is a case of POWER! and boostaz, but also a fuck ton of planning.

But yeah, once you get something together or have something conceptual, gimme a shout and I'll have a look at it man

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Aye, it's a huge undertaking. Everyone thinks throwing massive payloads is a case of shouting POWER! and adding moar boostaz. I mean, it is a case of POWER! and boostaz, but also a fuck ton of planning.

But yeah, once you get something together or have something conceptual, gimme a shout and I'll have a look at it man
Thanks! I definitely don’t expect anything by the likes of Komodo on my first shot, it’ll be pretty hard to ever beat that.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Thanks! I definitely don’t expect anything by the likes of Komodo on my first shot, it’ll be pretty hard to ever beat that.
The hardest part is the sheer amount of lag it generates. I could've gone bigger, but the game doesn't want to fly something that massive, it became really unstable, crashed loads and each trip to orbit takes about 45 minutes.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
The hardest part is the sheer amount of lag it generates. I could've gone bigger, but the game doesn't want to fly something that massive, it became really unstable, crashed loads and each trip to orbit takes about 45 minutes.
I was definitely anticipating some pretty huge lag going into this. I am currently on what is basically a brand new save, so hopefully that’ll get things running a tad bit smoother. I’m thinking dropping the FPS down to 30 may also give a small advantage.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I was definitely anticipating some pretty huge lag going into this. I am currently on what is basically a brand new save, so hopefully that’ll get things running a tad bit smoother. I’m thinking dropping the FPS down to 30 may also give a small advantage.
Get ready for roughly 2 seconds per frame. Komodo is a noisy slideshow more than a delivery system. The videos just don't do it justice of how difficult it is to fly.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You may not like it, but you're shooting the messenger bob. Feel free to ignore Horus, but remember that other members could also choose to ignore you if you react this way.

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
I played with this. A man-made structure has the same problems as a large space station. Asteroids made in custom worlds are not minable. My idea was to place a massive object somewhere in the solar system and then attempt to "push/pull" it back to earth. It's doable but anything truly massive is going to be problematic. Getting it into position is enough to discourage most. Always looking for new opportunities and ideas
Basic players make small asteroids

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You may not like it, but you're shooting the messenger bob. Feel free to ignore Horus, but remember that other members could also choose to ignore you if you react this way.
Certainly. I'm still not completely familiar with this format. It wasn't my intention to clutter up the thread. My mistake was not reading the entire thing prior to making a post. A mistake I admit to and hopefully won't repeat. I presume too much. I have a great deal of admiration for this forum or I'd be over in discord or (Lord help me) Reddit. Without a doubt some of the best minds involved with SFS are here. Hell I still don't know how to ping someone. So my apologies again 4kidsonecamera. BOT It should be quite the show putting that thing in orbit. I have no doubt you'll do it:)

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So now its an Australian Asteroid (officially) :p

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Certainly. I'm still not completely familiar with this format. It wasn't my intention to clutter up the thread. My mistake was not reading the entire thing prior to making a post. A mistake I admit to and hopefully won't repeat. I presume too much. I have a great deal of admiration for this forum or I'd be over in discord or (Lord help me) Reddit. Without a doubt some of the best minds involved with SFS are here. Hell I still don't know how to ping someone. So my apologies again 4kidsonecamera. BOT It should be quite the show putting that thing in orbit. I have no doubt you'll do it:)
Those apologies are much appreciated, thanks Bob :)

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Time to do some things but I´m on IOS so I got the IOS: as for the IOS community
  • Make an asteroid in space but with different textures than Phobos or Deimos.
  • IOS: Launch an asteroid by making it with Structural, a probe in the center, and a docking port
  • Make sure the Asteroid is made as an NEA(Near Earth Asteroid), or part of the main belt where most asteroids are.
  • Make a mission to mine the asteroid
  • Have fun rocketing!!!
Asteroid laid imparting a vector. :p which way did it go?