Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I initially created this for Cosmo. Then figured, lets open it up to everyone.

And since its my first challenge, I figured it may as well be a doozy and create a real mission.

The attached pdf is an actual summary published on exploration of Neptune and Triton, what is known, what questions could be answered with a modern day look (no one has been that way since Voyager shot past in the late 80s) and what equipment such an expedition would require.

Your mission is to conduct this exploration of Neptune and Triton, answering as many of these questions as possible.

• Determine the existence and depth of an ocean on Triton, and characterize its cryovolcanism
• Characterize Triton’s surface chemistry
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Triton’s atmosphere
• Better characterize the range of ages of Triton’s surface units
• Determine the size of Neptune’s core
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Neptune’s atmosphere
• Determine how energy and particles flow throughout Neptune’s complex magnetosphere
• Constrain the structure of Neptune’s ring arcs and properties of its irregular satellites

The Rules:
  • You may use multiple launches, orbital assembly/re-fuelling. Zero-g pad assembly is also allowed, as is .bp edited craft.
  • Remember, cheats are for sissys. And you don't want to be a sissy, do you? Also, make sure drag is on at take-off. Don't try bluffing, it takes me 10 minutes to check your vehicle out.
  • Mission may be manned or unmanned. If you go manned, then the crew must return to Earth. If it is unmanned, then Ground Control must have a method of remotely controlling the craft(s) from Earth using satellite communications .
  • Return/re-useability isn't mandatory, however the data collected must come back, either through long range communications or return delivery of a data core.
  • Sensors used (magnetometers, spectrometers, imaging equipment) must be represented on craft (rovers/landers/probes) used for purpose. Also, these craft either need to have communications to a mother unit for broadcast back to Earth, or must be recoverable from location for physical data transfer.

Attachments

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I initially created this for Cosmo. Then figured, lets open it up to everyone.

And since its my first challenge, I figured it may as well be a doozy and create a real mission.

The attached pdf is an actual summary published on exploration of Neptune and Triton, what is known, what questions could be answered with a modern day look (no one has been that way since Voyager shot past in the late 80s) and what equipment such an expedition would require.

Your mission is to conduct this exploration of Neptune and Triton, answering as many of these questions as possible.

• Determine the existence and depth of an ocean on Triton, and characterize its cryovolcanism
• Determine how energy and particles flow throughout Neptune’s complex magnetosphere
• Constrain the structure of Neptune’s ring arcs and properties of its irregular satellites

The Rules:
  • You may use multiple launches, orbital assembly/re-fuelling. Zero-g pad assembly is also allowed, as is .bp edited craft.
  • Remember, cheats are for sissys. And you don't want to be a sissy, do you? Also, make sure drag is on at take-off. Don't try bluffing, it takes me 10 minutes to check your vehicle out.
  • Mission may be manned or unmanned. If you go manned, then the crew must return to Earth. If it is unmanned, then Ground Control must have a method of remotely controlling the craft(s) from Earth using satellite communications .
  • Return/re-useability isn't mandatory, however the data collected must come back, either through long range communications or return delivery of a data core.
  • Sensors used (magnetometers, spectrometers, imaging equipment) must be represented on craft (rovers/landers/probes) used for purpose. Also, these craft either need to have communications to a mother unit for broadcast back to Earth, or must be recoverable from location for physical data transfer.
I was actually already planning on going out there with Tenebrous, and this sounds like a good reason. Is it okay if I make a stop by Saturn first?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I was actually already planning on going out there with Tenebrous, and this sounds like a good reason. Is it okay if I make a stop by Saturn first?
Yeah, that's not an issue mate. Also, considering Saturn is your home base, you're welcome to use there as your start and finish point

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, that's not an issue mate. Also, considering Saturn is your home base, you're welcome to use there as your start and finish point
That's nice. I'll be outfitting her with all the equipment before she leaves from earth.

So the rest of the users are assumed to have star wars or star trek (can't tell the difference) level of bullshit capabilties. Does that mean my mission will be the unhumblest of humble attempts??

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
So the rest of the users are assumed to have star wars or star trek (can't tell the difference) level of bullshit capabilties. Does that mean my mission will be the unhumblest of humble attempts??
No, your's'll be the most impressive I assume because of the level of realism you put into it. Horus's just getting everyone involved.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
No, your's'll be the most impressive I assume because of the level of realism you put into it. Horus's just getting everyone involved.
Exactly that. I have to put the extra constraints on the general public because there's always someone that'll do it with infinite fuel or RCS glitch or will just do a flypast and a crash landing and call it science. Whereas I know you won't even leave the VAB unless it's 100% doable without 'bullshit capabilities'

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
May I have the delta V map of the Neptune System and the flight path from Earth to Neptune?
Does one exist? I don't think Altair did outside the standard system, except for Saturn and Pluto specifically?

what do all of these correspond to in terms of stuff that's actually possible in the game

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
what do all of these correspond to in terms of stuff that's actually possible in the game
sorry if this sounded a bit snide but it's a genuine question
In game terms, you realistically can't get answers. The sensors don't exist in game and the answers aren't known in real life to simulate. But that kinda adds to it, you have to make your own representations of the sensors using available parts, make up the answers (Tritons surface chemistry is composed of 50% Vodka and 50% Red Rull) and ensure the data is returned somehow to your place of origin.

The point of the challenge isn't the answers you get, its the solutions to obtaining those answers. I just put that in to make a decent backstory rather than the usual 'land on X Moon and come back'.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I don't want to know how to get there, I want to know how much it costs to get there.

VEEGA also doesn't answer my question of how much it costs to yeet myself from moon to moon within Neptune.
Apologies, you asked flight path, I gave a flight path.