Project Le Verrier

Uh, I'm sorry but I'm terribly busy with top priority stuff, I can't answer you right now o_O
We can discuss about it later, after 1.5 is out, don't hesitate to ping me.
Hey Altair, great news, your numbers work as usual. Just achieved a Neptune encounter with a tank of emergency reserve remaining.

You're a true navigator.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hey Altair, great news, your numbers work as usual. Just achieved a Neptune encounter with a tank of emergency reserve remaining.

You're a true navigator.
Thanks!
I'm glad to hear that, I would have felt very bad if your whole mission was screwed because of bad numbers o_O

Main mission complete. Unfortunately I've grossly underestimated the propellant needed to return home, although the mothership have successfully returned to a low elliptical Earth orbit, it is completely dry.

I'll send an emergency tanker up to refuel the Orion spacecrafts so the crew can return to the surface.

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Main mission complete. Unfortunately I've grossly underestimated the propellant needed to return home, although the mothership have successfully returned to a low elliptical Earth orbit, it is completely dry.

I'll send an emergency tanker up to refuel the Orion spacecrafts so the crew can return to the surface.
Ah, least they're stuck inside Earths SOI rather than wanging around the solar system. How much were you off?

Ah, least they're stuck inside Earths SOI rather than wanging around the solar system. How much were you off?
Actually I'm not being entirely accurate, I brought way more propellant than I needed (at least 63 tons extra, which was one additional tank), problem was my poor trajectory planning.

When the ship was preparing for a Neptune departure burn, it was unable to align the planetary alignment window with its burn window properly due to its highly elliptical shape, so I was forced to burn prematurely in order to secure a crude home trajectory before the window is completely lost.

With this crude trajectory, it required a very long inefficient correction burn after leaving Neptune's SOI, not to mention correction burns after being deflected by Jupiter's gravity due to an unintentional encounter.

This sapped the propellant till it was virtually running off fumes, like I could hardly see the indicator bar at all. But still it was enough to bring the ship's periapse to around 31km after the aerobrake.