Post your best web links. Aerospace, aircraft, heated airship balloon, scientific discovery ....

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I had guessed the problem. You have to evolve with the times. It's been decades. We are talking about aeronautical science or history. This mentality is .....

"This mentality is ...."
Rest of the words gone with the wind...

But seriously, Tony is right, instead of censoring history, we should learn from history to notnmake the same mistakes again.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
The shuttle is Buran’s plagiarism who did not know.
"STS-1 (Space Transportation System-1) was the first orbital spaceflight of NASA's Space Shuttle program. The first orbiter, Columbia, launched on 12 April 1981"
"The only orbital launch of a Buran-class orbiter, 1K1 (first orbiter, first flight[7]) occurred at 03:00:02 UTC on 15 November 1988 from Baikonur Cosmodrome"
1981 is much before 1988, how did NASA plagiarise the USSR?

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
"STS-1 (Space Transportation System-1) was the first orbital spaceflight of NASA's Space Shuttle program. The first orbiter, Columbia, launched on 12 April 1981"
"The only orbital launch of a Buran-class orbiter, 1K1 (first orbiter, first flight[7]) occurred at 03:00:02 UTC on 15 November 1988 from Baikonur Cosmodrome"
1981 is much before 1988, how did NASA plagiarise the USSR?
Ok i made mistake.

The Russian space shuttle program arose as an answer, to the same American program, Space Shuttle. The point is that the leadership of our country at that very moment saw in the American Space Program a concrete threat to our national security. At that time, it believed that the new American spacecraft were specifically designed to deliver nuclear charges through space to anywhere in the world.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Okay, that's true.
But the USSR did it better, to be honest.

this:

is more useful than this:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok i made mistake.

The Russian space shuttle program arose as an answer, to the same American program, Space Shuttle. The point is that the leadership of our country at that very moment saw in the American Space Program a concrete threat to our national security. At that time, it believed that the new American spacecraft were specifically designed to deliver nuclear charges through space to anywhere in the world.
About nuclear payload I didn't know, but the USSR feared that the shuttle could be used for military purposes indeed. They also thought about the possibility to capture a russian satellite in the cargo bay and to bring it back on the american soil to study it and steal as many things as possible.

Tony

Registered
There is a super interesting film. Whatever your nationality. Interesting historically and astrologically. It's soyout 7. In translation I fear the worst.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
About nuclear payload I didn't know, but the USSR feared that the shuttle could be used for military purposes indeed. They also thought about the possibility to capture a russian satellite in the cargo bay and to bring it back on the american soil to study it and steal as many things as possible.
The shuttle initial design was based around a military requirement. Not so much delivering nuclear payloads to target, but as a re-useable low orbit, manned reconnaissance craft with a bay full of optics.

It has to be manned cos the automation didn't exist to fly it back then and it needed wings to get back from whatever orbit inclination it was in to land back on US soil.

The plan obviously fell through, but when NASA was looking for a cheap, re-useable object shuttle (in its true definition, things going up and down) to low orbit, the orbiter was already a paper design. It already had an enormous payload area (to carry initially all these sensors) and it was designed to land with a lot of weight (what was it, like 20 tons of payload back to a runway? Huge numbers for an aircraft, never mind a glider) you could bring payload down as well as up.

And the Space Shuttle program was born.

Tony

Registered
With gliding it does not fall. It surfs in the air like birds. I searched the internet for crashes. I found nothing serious.

Tony

Registered
The documentary about the last shuttle flight is great. The photos too. But there is no English subtitle. Sorry. I post for the pleasure of the eyes for those who do not understand French. Sorry.