ANAIS: Advanced NAvigation Innovative System

ExoAerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
got this mod to try it recently and love it you have to play around with it to get used to it but then it’s rlly easy to use Altair very impressive mod 5 star rating:D

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
got this mod to try it recently and love it you have to play around with it to get used to it but then it’s rlly easy to use Altair very impressive mod 5 star rating:D
Thanks, I'm glad you like it :)

Yeah, it takes time to get used to all the functionalities of ANAIS. Take your time to play around with transfers, the rest will come naturally :)

ExoAerospace

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Altair 1 question i had your closest line approach mo and then i got ANAIS it then it said mods not compatible i don’t have screenshots and so i just turned off closest line approach is this was this intended as some replacement for CLA just wondering

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altair 1 question i had your closest line approach mo and then i got ANAIS it then it said mods not compatible i don’t have screenshots and so i just turned off closest line approach is this was this intended as some replacement for CLA just wondering
Hello,

Yes, this is intended, this is absolutely normal. ANAIS also includes the closest approach line, except that it works slightly differently on a few minor aspects. With this mod, the transfer calculation tool is the main one, the closest approach line is used in a complementary way. This could result in inconsistencies or strange behaviour if they were used together, that's why ANAIS prevents the activation of both mods at the same time.

You still benefit from the closest approach line advantages with this mod, so no worries :)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here are some news about ANAIS!

It's been long I haven't updated it, but I've still been working on it in the shadow. The new version will come with an improved version of the return to planet path calculation. The current one always applies a Hohmann transfer calculation, which is good if your orbit is approximately circular, but could give weird results otherwise.

This is what the new version proposes:
ReturnToPlanet1.gif

The result is now optimal, and works in both rendez-vous and fly-by mode (in fly-by mode, ANAIS doesn't optimize the arrival ΔV, in the case in which you want to aerobrake for example). There are now situations in which ANAIS will propose some trajectories you would have probably not thought about, I can tell that I've been surprised myself :)

The calculation is also much more relevant on for ships entering a planet's SOI, when they have an hyperbolic trajectory:
ReturnToPlanet2.gif

As you can see, it's now able to propose a trajectory that only implies a very small correction. And if you let it pass the periapsis, it will make sure to propose a trajectory that doesn't go past the SOI.

Other than that I managed to optimize the calculation of interplanetary trajectories. Those are by far the most heavy calculations, the algorithm is now more reliable while needing 40% less time compared to before :cool:

I still have a few things to fix, but this is on a good way, so hopefully I'll be able to make a release soon.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023

It's been long I haven't updated it, but I've still been working on it in the shadow. The new version will come with an improved version of the return to planet path calculation. The current one always applies a Hohmann transfer calculation, which is good if your orbit is approximately circular, but could give weird results otherwise.

View attachment 116684
The result is now optimal, and works in both rendez-vous and fly-by mode (in fly-by mode, ANAIS doesn't optimize the arrival ΔV, in the case in which you want to aerobrake for example). There are now situations in which ANAIS will propose some trajectories you would have probably not thought about, I can tell that I've been surprised myself :)

The calculation is also much more relevant on for ships entering a planet's SOI, when they have an hyperbolic trajectory:
View attachment 116685
As you can see, it's now able to propose a trajectory that only implies a very small correction. And if you let it pass the periapsis, it will make sure to propose a trajectory that doesn't go past the SOI.

Other than that I managed to optimize the calculation of interplanetary trajectories. Those are by far the most heavy calculations, the algorithm is now more reliable while needing 40% less time compared to before :cool:

I still have a few things to fix, but this is on a good way, so hopefully I'll be able to make a release soon.
This is absolutely amazing. Keep cookin' Altair!

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

View attachment 116684

View attachment 116685

Any ANAIS update is a surefire W on Altair's part.

VTplayz

Modder
Registered
"bug" report: not sure if it a bug or a feature
but ANAIS can do anything even guiding me to change the trajectory to rendezvous to my space station but it guide the trajectory of the spaceship re-enter earth atmosphere and burning my spaceship before reaching the space station
another time the trajectory ANAIS guide me to return to earth make me crash into the moon
I wish ANAIS could detect a colide with obstical or atmosphere and guide to get out of that situation and still get to the target

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
This is absolutely amazing. Keep cookin' Altair!
Any ANAIS update is a surefire W on Altair's part.
Thanks guys :cool:

"bug" report: not sure if it a bug or a feature
but ANAIS can do anything even guiding me to change the trajectory to rendezvous to my space station but it guide the trajectory of the spaceship re-enter earth atmosphere and burning my spaceship before reaching the space station
another time the trajectory ANAIS guide me to return to earth make me crash into the moon
I wish ANAIS could detect a colide with obstical or atmosphere and guide to get out of that situation and still get to the target
That's an unintended feature :p

In serious, it's simply a limitation of the mod. What ANAIS does is solving what is called the rendez-vous problem: it calculates a trajectory that leads to an encounter while following the laws of astrodynamics. But it doesn't take into account other constraints ("ground exists", other objects can interfere...). Taking account those constraints would be too complicated, so I leave this to the player's judgement :)

In practice, in the case of the space station, if ANAIS gives you a reentering trajectory, then obviously don't follow it. Instead the conclusion is that there's no appropriate trajectory in this situation (actually there would be, but they would be significantly more expensive), so you may time-warp until you get a suitable opportunity.

For the Moon that gets into your path unfortunately there's not much I can do for it. The best you can do in this case is manually tweaking your trajectory until you find a suitable one.

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
If you are looking for suggestions here are a few in order of usefullness/(my guess at) difficulty.

1) two extra 'modes': (only for spacecraft targets? Maybe treat as 'rendevous' or 'flyby' if not possible for planet targets)
simple always displays the 'closest approach' vectors - useful when close to a spacecraft target, especially with low-thrust engines that need more than 60s to stop.

basic always displays the velocity and distance vectors - useful in situations where the closest approach information doesn't help.
(as a bonus these should also help in debugging any enhancements to these displays - no need to try to place a spacecraft in the correct position).

2) Ability to chose target altitude for a planet target. The default of edge of atmosphere or very low when no atmosphere is almost never useful - too low for an orbit, too high for a reentry. It would also be useful to be able to target a circular orbit when there is no spacecraft in that orbit. Might want to hide it an 'advanced' section if you want to avoid UI complexity (other more rarely used options could be placed there also).

3) On the 'closest approach' display show the %age thrust needed to come to a stop at the closest approach - with a warning indicator (similar to 'IMPACT') if this is >100% . Again useful for low-thrust craft, but also for when you leave it too late to start decleration and may need to take evasive action.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
1) two extra 'modes': (only for spacecraft targets? Maybe treat as 'rendevous' or 'flyby' if not possible for planet targets)
simple always displays the 'closest approach' vectors - useful when close to a spacecraft target, especially with low-thrust engines that need more than 60s to stop.

basic always displays the velocity and distance vectors - useful in situations where the closest approach information doesn't help.
(as a bonus these should also help in debugging any enhancements to these displays - no need to try to place a spacecraft in the correct position).
Honestly I would prefer to give an option to parameterize the time threshold, it's 60 seconds for now, but if you can raise it to a higher value I think it would do the job. Adding 2 extra modes would add a lot of confusion in my opinion.

About your basic mode, you say that you would prefer to have the distance information sometimes because the closest approach doesn't help... Could you elaborate? In which situation for example?

2) Ability to chose target altitude for a planet target. The default of edge of atmosphere or very low when no atmosphere is almost never useful - too low for an orbit, too high for a reentry. It would also be useful to be able to target a circular orbit when there is no spacecraft in that orbit. Might want to hide it an 'advanced' section if you want to avoid UI complexity (other more rarely used options could be placed there also).
That's a very good idea, I'll certainly do it :)
Probably not now because I still have some problems to fix, but I'll do that on a future update.

3) On the 'closest approach' display show the %age thrust needed to come to a stop at the closest approach - with a warning indicator (similar to 'IMPACT') if this is >100% . Again useful for low-thrust craft, but also for when you leave it too late to start decleration and may need to take evasive action.
I'll think about something like that...

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Honestly I would prefer to give an option to parameterize the time threshold, it's 60 seconds for now, but if you can raise it to a higher value I think it would do the job. Adding 2 extra modes would add a lot of confusion in my opinion.

About your basic mode, you say that you would prefer to have the distance information sometimes because the closest approach doesn't help... Could you elaborate? In which situation for example?
Not the distance so much as the direction. The distance becomes useful when >10km away as there is no other way to know how far away the target is.

Dahzito

Amateur Astronomer / Future Astrophysicist
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

View attachment 116684

View attachment 116685

That surely is going to help me with the Interplanetary Space Station that I'm building for Solara Project.
At each update this mod just gets even better and a must have it! (it already is a must have it, but I think you understand it)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Not the distance so much as the direction. The distance becomes useful when >10km away as there is no other way to know how far away the target is.
Is that really necessary? When there's a closest approach displayed you don't have the distance, but there's the timer to tell you in how much you'll get an encounter, and you also get the speed difference. As for the direction it's basically in the opposite direction of the velocity arrow (or in the direction of the "impact" arrow if you reduce your closest approach to 0). To be honest I've never felt that the distance was needed, the time before encounter makes it much more predictible in my opinion...

That surely is going to help me with the Interplanetary Space Station that I'm building for Solara Project.
At each update this mod just gets even better and a must have it! (it already is a must have it, but I think you understand it)
Sure I understand, thanks.
I'll be happy to contribute indirectly to your interplanetary station project :)

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Now all I need from ANAIS is a brachistochrone trajectory/constant acceleration calculator, but no hurry :D

leroxy2_0

Modder
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered

View attachment 116684

View attachment 116685

When will the new update be released ?
Because it's incredible !

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Now all I need from ANAIS is a brachistochrone trajectory/constant acceleration calculator, but no hurry :D
I'm afraid it's out of the scope of ANAIS, sorry.

When will the new update be released ?
Because it's incredible !
Thanks.
I can't promise anything but I'm doing my best, don't worry :)

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm afraid it's out of the scope of ANAIS, sorry.
Ah well, worth a shot. I'll probably make something like that at some point anyway.

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered

I have had some more thoughts on this.

Maybe not as extra modes, perhaps as an extra control ('Display'?) with three values: 'auto' - as now, 'closest approach' - the closest approach vectors and 'distance/velocity' - the distance and velocity vectors.

These would be useful when the automatically chosen display is unhelpful. As well as the low thrust case I described earlier, there is the case when you or the target (or both) are on the surface.

When landed and you want to rendezvous with an orbiter it is helpful to know where it is to decide when to launch. ANAIS currently displays nothing until after you have launched.

When you want to rendezvous with something on the surface, it would be useful to know which way and how far away the target is. Also, while above the surface, the velocity vector tells you which way and how fast you are moving.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here are some news. The update is getting closer! :)

Aiming for an orbit now works accurately and reliably in both rendez-vous and fly-by mode. The display has also been adapted to better reflect the encounter mode you chose:
ReturnToPlanet3.gif

As you can see, the fly-by mode will only make you reach the targeted altitude without considering circularization, so the transfer orbit is shown without interruption.
In rendez-vous mode, circularization is took into account, and the target orbit is shown as a dotted line.

Even better, when you reach the desired target altitude in rendez-vous mode, ANAIS would now tell you how to circularize:
ReturnToPlanet4.gif

For now the target altitude is still fixed, but I've prepared the terrain to implement Darthan 's suggestion to leave the ability to target a specific altitude. I just have to add that parameter to the ANAIS control panel, and it will be all good.

The biggest part is done, it still requires some polishing but nothing that should be a great deal :cool:

And for those wondering why it was hard...
I'll let that good old Harold speak for me...
MemeForNerds.jpg

Only the nerds will understand my pain :p

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
V1.4.0 is released!

Finally, after many months, it's here. And it came when the forum was out :eek:
Anyway, what's new with that release is the major overhaul of the return to planet trajectories. The calculation that I used before was simple but approximative. This has been fixed, the trajectory proposed is now much more relevant, especially in the case of elliptical or escape trajectories:
ReturnToPlanet1.gif

Note that ANAIS will have a slightly different behaviour depending on if you are in fly-by mode or rendez-vous mode:
ReturnToPlanet3.gif

A fly-by is understood as a simple transfer trajectory as the rendez-vous mode assumes that you also want to circularize at the target altitude.

Here is an example in rendez-vous mode:
ReturnToPlanet4.gif

As you can see, ANAIS now tells you how to circularize when you've reached the target altitude.

Speaking about the target altitude...
20240429022431_1.jpg

I've added a setting to the control panel for the target altitude, which means you can aim for any orbit. Thanks Darthan for the idea :)

Apart from that, quality of life has been improved and the code has been optimized, so that an interplanetary transfer costs 40% less time to calculate compared to before. :cool:

Enjoy the new update! Don't hesitate to share any feedback about it :)

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Is anais gonna ever have something where you can just time warp to the most efficient transfer? Or like an indicator of where the most efficient transfer is, like say coloring the trajectory line.

Here's an example, like using existing colors to color your trajectory line based off of when the transfer would be most efficient. I'm probably stating things wrong lol.
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 14.15.41.png