3 Stage Example Rocket: How far can you go?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
So DatDudePlays_ proposed a long time ago (before time had a name), a challenge involving the three stage example rocket. The mission is simple.
Go as far as you can with the three stage example rocket.
Normal, Hard and Realistic modes only.
Default Solar System or TTSS by Flight Russian Man. (The KSP or TTSS systems may be used)
Gravity assists, slingshots, aerobraking, VEEGA, lithobraking, etc. Any maneuver method or delta-v saver can be used.
The three stage example rocket must be used.
For an extra challenge, you may return the capsule to earth. This is optional.
ANAIS, VanillaUpgrades, Delta-V Calculator, FSI's Info Overload Mod and Smart SAS are the only quality-of-life mods allowed.
You may not change the example rocket in any way. Do not BP edit any component of the example rocket. Textures are fine as long as they do not interfere with the workings of the rocket itself. Changing the staging is fine.
The rocket must launch from the space center.
The mission log and/or the achievements page can be shown.
Video or screenshots are fine.
Launch infrastructure is fine
as long as it does not interfere with the rocket.
With that being said, I will show my mission to Ganymede. Assist sequence: VEMoEGaGa
1713721855730.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 1_52_21 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 1_53_26 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 1_54_32 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 1_56_52 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 1_58_23 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 2_02_45 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 2_03_58 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 2_06_33 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 2_07_46 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_46_13 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_47_54 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_51_49 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_53_44 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_56_06 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_57_17 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 5_58_44 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 6_00_13 PM.png

Spaceflight Simulator 4_21_2024 6_01_22 PM.png

To be continued...

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Haha nice :p
This will be hard to beat.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Interesting! Does it has to land or a flyby tour counts?
Get it as far as you possibly can (most landings, flybys, encounters, lithobrakes, I really don't care too much). Landings, flybys, etc whatever works for you. No solar escape trajectory since you can go infinitely far with enough timewarping.

Also, you can use IRIS.

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Get it as far as you possible can. Landings, flybys, etc whatever works for you. No solar escape trajectory since you can go infinitely far with enough timewarping.
You did yours in normal? Cause the farthest I could get it in realistic was a Venus flyby.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
You did yours in normal? Cause the farthest I could get it in realistic was a Venus flyby.
Oh well. I only added the realistic mode in case someone like Altair decided to come along and embarrass me with how good he is at the game.

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
YK, I might actually try and do this challenge. I'm thinking VEEGA to Jupiter slingshot into the sun maybe. Go out in a flash :cool:

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I tried going to the sun, I failed. I stopped taking screenshots after a few mercury gravity assists.
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 16.20.10.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 16.20.17.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 16.32.57.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 16.44.05.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 16.44.11.png
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 16.44.21.png

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I tried going to the sun, I failed. I stopped taking screenshots after a few mercury gravity assists. View attachment 117719 View attachment 117720 View attachment 117721 View attachment 117722 View attachment 117723 View attachment 117724
I am yet to try this but wouldn't it be more efficient to VEEGA out to Jupiter and either use Jupiters gravity assist to fling you into the sun, or use Jupiter to fling you very far out of the solar system where it's easier to crash into the sun?

Astro826

Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Yeah. The smaller your orbit gets around the sun, it takes more delta V to crash into it because you're going way faster.

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I am yet to try this but wouldn't it be more efficient to VEEGA out to Jupiter and either use Jupiters gravity assist to fling you into the sun, or use Jupiter to fling you very far out of the solar system where it's easier to crash into the sun?
Yeah I guess thats probably true, I'm just terrible at gravity assists though so i didn't try it.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah I guess thats probably true, I'm just terrible at gravity assists though so i didn't try it.
You could probably hit the sun by burining direct out to the edge of the solar system and burnging retrograde at apoapsis. You could also burn direct to Jupiter and use a gravity assist to fling yourself into the sun.
Fun fact: That was an early mission trajectory for NASA's spacecraft studying the sun, it was scrapped in favour for 7 repeated Venus assists as it would give more time near the sun

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
You could probably hit the sun by burining direct out to the edge of the solar system and burnging retrograde at apoapsis. You could also burn direct to Jupiter and use a gravity assist to fling yourself into the sun.
Fun fact: That was an early mission trajectory for NASA's spacecraft studying the sun, it was scrapped in favour for 7 repeated Venus assists as it would give more time near the sun
Then there was Ulysses Spacecraft, which actually did use Jupiter to go study the sun

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
You can do that more efficiently using Jupiter as Axiom said. This is what I did here for example. I blew up the Voyager quest requirements by more than 10 km/s :p
Tbh, if Altair can perform a flyby of every planet and moon with the example rocket I will... uh... play Juno New Origins for the first time.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Tbh, if Altair can perform a flyby of every planet and moon with the example rocket I will... uh... play Juno New Origins for the first time.
That would be treason :p
I suppose you mean in realistic? Because in normal mode it would be easy.
I tried reaching orbit in IRIS:
Spaceflight Simulator_2024-04-24-01-22-44.jpg

That leaves me around 2100 m/s of ΔV, and this is what I need for Venus...
Spaceflight Simulator_2024-04-24-01-24-07.jpg

This will be hard, 400 m/s of extra ΔV for the maneuvers and corrections is a pitance in hard mode. Even more in realistic because it's slightly harder in fact.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
That would be treason :p
I suppose you mean in realistic? Because in normal mode it would be easy.
I tried reaching orbit in IRIS:
View attachment 117844
That leaves me around 2100 m/s of ΔV, and this is what I need for Venus...
View attachment 117845
This will be hard, 400 m/s of extra ΔV for the maneuvers and corrections is a pitance in hard mode. Even more in realistic because it's slightly harder in fact.
You might be able to plan an earth encounter and another earth encounter to sling off to Jupiter then use an assist to lower your perihelion. No clue if that would work though.

New Horizons

58 AU from the Sun
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
With just quicksave editing, I was able to complete a Venus gravity assist and to perform a Mercury Landing
IMG_3802.png IMG_3803.png IMG_3806.png IMG_3805.png IMG_3804.png IMG_3809.png IMG_3808.png IMG_3807.png IMG_3812.png IMG_3811.png IMG_3810.png IMG_3815.png IMG_3814.png IMG_3813.png IMG_3816.png

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
More of an exploit, but ig that works. Tbh I think the normal example rocket has enough delta-v on its own to do a Mercury landing.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
More of an exploit, but ig that works. Tbh I think the normal example rocket has enough delta-v on its own to do a Mercury landing.
Honestly, if I could land on Mercury AND return with a rocket under 100 tons (here), I think the example rocket is able to land on Mercury :)

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
I think I have something very impressive in store. Started off just getting the hang of gravity assists in the Jupiter system, after multiple hours, ended up with this :eek:. Actual mission coming soon(?)
What.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
I think I have something very impressive in store. Started off just getting the hang of gravity assists in the Jupiter system, after multiple hours, ended up with this :eek:. Actual mission coming soon(?)
Holy fu- ok. More impressive than Ganymede and back wow.

Astro826

Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
I've done the math. I think I have to go and try it. 300 m/s margin to do a gazillion gravity assists with, what could possibly go wrong? Three landings with ideal stages coming soon?

Attachments