Consider this: Titan is just a bunch of Methalox waiting to be processed!

zackhere

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Let's cut to the chase. Titan has liquid Methane lakes on the surface, and water underground.

Methalox is a shortened name for Methane-Oxygen Fuel.

If we take Methane from the lakes, Water from underground, then we have the ingredients for Methalox.

There's a process called Electrolysis. It's where you run Electricity through Water, and the Oxygen splits from the Hydrogen.

Oxygen, though a gas atom at room temperature, can become liquid when cooled. Titan is really cold. If we bring it to the surface, then cool it down a bit more (~15 degrees Celsius) then it becomes liquid.

Methane plus Liquid Oxygen equals rocket fuel.

Plus, Liquid Oxygen isn't just used for Methalox. It's the most common propellant for rockets. Though not all rockets use Methane fuel, Liquid Oxygen can still be used for Refined Kerosene (RP-1) rockets.

In conclusion, I'm bored and need to stop planning out theoretical missions that make my brain happy because it's probably not happening in my lifetime.

Well, that's my two cents.
-Coach West, Elyria Robotics (fyi not me)

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
and water underground
Well, the moon is composed of a lot of ice.

But easy ISRU isn't the only thing going for Titan, though. Consider:
  1. It has a thick atmosphere, so landing is really easy
  2. Flight is extremely simple on Titan, not considering the -179°C temperatures.
  3. Speaking of which, Titan has a surface pressure of 1.45 Atmospheres and a surface temperature of -179°C, which means humans could potentially survive on the surface with little more than and oxygen tank and some very warm clothing. Plus, lugging around the oxygen tank wouldn't even be that hard with the 0.14 gees of surface gravity.
  4. Titan's thick atmosphere would help considerably in lessening the radiation experienced on the surface.
I would even argue it's better for human colonization than Mars.

zackhere

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Well, the moon is composed of a lot of ice.

But easy ISRU isn't the only thing going for Titan, though. Consider:
  1. It has a thick atmosphere, so landing is really easy
  2. Flight is extremely simple on Titan, not considering the -179°C temperatures.
  3. Speaking of which, Titan has a surface pressure of 1.45 Atmospheres and a surface temperature of -179°C, which means humans could potentially survive on the surface with little more than and oxygen tank and some very warm clothing. Plus, lugging around the oxygen tank wouldn't even be that hard with the 0.14 gees of surface gravity.
  4. Titan's thick atmosphere would help considerably in lessening the radiation experienced on the surface.
I would even argue it's better for human colonization than Mars.
It's just a colder, harder-to-access, Antarctica! Imagine the energy we could process! If we take some of that oxygen and use it for Methane/Ethane power plants, we can have more energy output than every Corn Methane plant on Earth!

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It's just a colder, harder-to-access, Antarctica! Imagine the energy we could process! If we take some of that oxygen and use it for Methane/Ethane power plants, we can have more energy output than every Corn Methane plant on Earth!
For a colony, ISRU for power generation wouldn't be worth it IMO. Just plop a nuclear reactor down and cool it with the -179°C air.

zackhere

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
For a colony, ISRU for power generation wouldn't be worth it IMO. Just plop a nuclear reactor down and cool it with the -179°C air.
I hadn't really considered that, even though multiple space agencies are planning on constructing nuclear plants on the moon -_-

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
I hadn't really considered that, even though multiple space agencies are planning on constructing nuclear plants on the moon -_-
I would say the best thing to do on the moon is radio telescope in a crater or some mining/refueling base

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I would say the best thing to do on the moon is radio telescope in a crater or some mining/refueling base
That's assuming there's something to use for fuel on the moon. Otherwise we might as well skip it entirely.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Let's cut to the chase. Titan has liquid Methane lakes on the surface, and water underground.

Methalox is a shortened name for Methane-Oxygen Fuel.

If we take Methane from the lakes, Water from underground, then we have the ingredients for Methalox.

There's a process called Electrolysis. It's where you run Electricity through Water, and the Oxygen splits from the Hydrogen.

Oxygen, though a gas atom at room temperature, can become liquid when cooled. Titan is really cold. If we bring it to the surface, then cool it down a bit more (~15 degrees Celsius) then it becomes liquid.

Methane plus Liquid Oxygen equals rocket fuel.

Plus, Liquid Oxygen isn't just used for Methalox. It's the most common propellant for rockets. Though not all rockets use Methane fuel, Liquid Oxygen can still be used for Refined Kerosene (RP-1) rockets.

In conclusion, I'm bored and need to stop planning out theoretical missions that make my brain happy because it's probably not happening in my lifetime.

Well, that's my two cents.
-Coach West, Elyria Robotics (fyi not me)
Besides, methalox is kinda crappy. It can be compared to other hydrocarbon fuels like RP-1, Kerolox or Syntin. Using a methane NTR could be a possibility, but I haven't seen anyone bring up a methane NTR. Also, there is a much better rocket fuel already there. Hydrolox is already makeable with electrolysis like you said. Why go the extra mile to get methane when you can make a much higher performing rocket fuel with less* steps.

Orion

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
methalox is kinda crappy
Not really, because you can pick it up off the ground with a hose.

It can be compared to other hydrocarbon fuels like RP-1, Kerolox or Syntin
No, because you can't pick those up off the ground with a hose. There's a reason rockets on Earth use RP-1, and that is simplicity.

Using a methane NTR could be a possibility, but I haven't seen anyone bring up a methane NTR.
The biggest reason nobody talks about Methane NTRs is they're practically useless performance wise. You're genuinely better off with a decent hydrolox engine in terms of performance.

Why go the extra mile to get methane when you can make a much higher performing rocket fuel with less* steps.
IDK, generating hydrogen and oxygen from electrolysis would probably be harder than just oxygen. I'm not knowledgeable on that subject though.

zackhere

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Besides, methalox is kinda crappy. It can be compared to other hydrocarbon fuels like RP-1, Kerolox or Syntin. Using a methane NTR could be a possibility, but I haven't seen anyone bring up a methane NTR. Also, there is a much better rocket fuel already there. Hydrolox is already makeable with electrolysis like you said. Why go the extra mile to get methane when you can make a much higher performing rocket fuel with less* steps.
One- Methalox is better for high-thrust engines.

Two- RP-1 is Kerolox.

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Two- RP-1 is Kerolox.
Kerosene is a more refined aircraft fuel. RP-1 is a more refined kerosene. Syntin is a more refined RP-1 (or RG-1 if you are soviet).

One- Methalox is better for high-thrust engines.
When did Titan ever need a high-thrust engine. You can probably fly with RCS thrusters. Edit: Explain the RS-25 and the RS-68

Not really, because you can pick it up off the ground with a hose.
In terms of deep space. The Methane NTR is really bad. Using a vac raptor in deep space wouldn't be amazing nor optimal. Besides, what are you doing with a BE-4 engine on Titan?

IDK, generating hydrogen and oxygen from electrolysis would probably be harder than just oxygen. I'm not knowledgeable on that subject though.
I sorta studied ISRU for CPOE-Enceladus. Honestly, condensing the hydrogen gas would only need a little more energy from a reactor and besides, you have to turn the oxygen into a liquid anyway. The Space Shuttle used Hydrogen-Oxygen fuel cells for power. Both Hydrogen and Oxygen can be made with electrolysis as zackhere said. These fuel cells created power and a byproduct called drinking water. Winner winner chicken dinner? They are kinda trash compared to just flying in a tokamak though.

Last edited: