Elemental Planet Pack

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Well. Depends. There is certain point from no return, I think it’s called the Event Horizon.
Before there you can escape (technically)
I used to afraid of black hole when I was a child
I wonder what will the 8 years old me will think when he knows the Solar system is orbiting that black dot

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Actually no, that's just the effect I would expect from a real black hole. I'll have to check that :p
Oh, just for information, I've calculated that if the Earth was compressed into a black hole, its radius would be 1 centimeter, and the gravity at its "surface" (actually at the horizon)... 4×10^18 m/s^2 :eek::eek::eek:
You can do some cool stuff with the Post Processing settings in the Planet Editor. For example, you can set it to start Hue Shifting a certain amount below a certain altitude.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Version 1.1:
Updated the Black Hole. It is now almost as big as the sun, is farther away and should be harder to escape from. Since this update only changes 1 file, only the Black Hole will be attached to this post. Enjoy!

Attachments

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well, I guess I'm on my way to my last destination... :p
Screenshot_20181214-234433_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Interesting effects indeed, but approaching the black hole tends to produce some glitchy effects too.
What would be cool is if you could model a ring of hot matter rotating around the black hole. You know, that kind of things:
images.jpg

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
View attachment 10606
Interesting effects indeed, but approaching the black hole tends to produce some glitchy effects too.
What would be cool is if you could model a ring of hot matter rotating around the black hole. You know, that kind of things:
View attachment 10607
What kind of glitchy effects? Also, are you using the new version or the old version?

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
View attachment 10606
View attachment 10607
You mean an accretion disc? (Pardon the possibly bad spelling)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What kind of glitchy effects? Also, are you using the new version or the old version?
I use the latest one. Those are glitches regarding the trajectory: it tends to change suddenly, and speed varies in a weird way sometimes too. For example, I could see my ship slowing down while it was still approaching the black hole. Actually that's an existing effect (a distant observer would see an object falling into a black hole going slower and slower), but I seriously doubt that you intended to reproduce an effect from general relativity :p
Actually I already noticed those glitches when doing a fly-by of the Sun, so I guess it's not your fault. This is probably related to numerical imprecision inside SFS, but in the case of a black hole, a small imprecision can lead to a very different trajectory.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Update 1.2:
Added a custom Atmosphere texture to Hades to reflect more upon its Volcanic look. Put the atmosphere into the Textures folder and overwrite the old Hades file for the planet itself.

Attachments

I made myself a little colony on mirum
Screenshot_20190620-174232_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

A space station orbiting mirum
Screenshot_20190620-172841_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

And this thing witch broke a little bit on landing
Screenshot_20190620-172859_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Last edited: