Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's what I will attempt I think. My build space is full, and I need MOAR BOOSTERS!!!
What's hard at some point is to light all engines fast enough after a sepatation. There are tons of them on the first stages, and the strong gravity pulls your rocket back very fast. So I try to start lighting the second stage engines before the first stage runs out of fuel, but obviously that's not optimal either.
Yeah. Especially as you're probably going to need to add a stage or 2 underneath the rocket you already have there.
Need staging mod in this game.

Or an asparagus heavy lift rocket. Then you don't need to light engines between stages, just dump excess weight in flight

T

TtTOtW

A very complicated way to say this:

;)
The particular individual whose exact textual stament the first person in this digital communication string has been precisely reproduced above, possesses enormous amounts of detailed knowledge of the quoter of his contribution to the current dialogue.

T

TtTOtW

The particular individual whose exact textual stament the first person in this digital communication string has been precisely reproduced above, possesses enormous amounts of detailed knowledge of the quoter of his contribution to the current dialogue.
Translation into English:
"You know me very well"

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yeah. Especially as you're probably going to need to add a stage or 2 underneath the rocket you already have there.
Need staging mod in this game.

Or an asparagus heavy lift rocket. Then you don't need to light engines between stages, just dump excess weight in flight
Yeah, staging would be a blessing here.

I think I'll design a big 1st stage, and attach boosters of decreasing size. That way, I can light all engines on the pad, then the boosters will run out of fuel one after another, and it only takes one click to separate an empty booster. Problem is, the launcher will shake so much that it will be hard to tap accurately on the separator o_O
Maybe I'll have to turn off the engines to allow separation...

I don't think Asparagus staging will work here. I do it sometimes on Earth, I transfer fuel from an annex tank during the flight and drop it, but because you can only transfer 1t/s (already less than what consumes a single Titan) you can't do this on such a big launcher.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, staging would be a blessing here.

I think I'll design a big 1st stage, and attach boosters of decreasing size. That way, I can light all engines on the pad, then the boosters will run out of fuel one after another, and it only takes one click to separate an empty booster. Problem is, the launcher will shake so much that it will be hard to tap accurately on the separator o_O
Maybe I'll have to turn off the engines to allow separation...

I don't think Asparagus staging will work here. I do it sometimes on Earth, I transfer fuel from an annex tank during the flight and drop it, but because you can only transfer 1t/s (already less than what consumes a single Titan) you can't do this on such a big launcher.
This is kinda how Komodo/Salamander works. You can have 50-100-250 engines lit at the start and each stage is timed/powered so that they cut out from bottom to top and the TWR is sufficient throughout.

And yeah, you definitely need to turn the engines off for the half second to hit the buttons

Means you don't have to do fuel transfer either.

Here are the instructions to make your rocket spawn on the launchpad.

For information, the original Earth radius is 315000 meters, the Jupiterized Earth radius is 3500000. Values are displayed that way in the planet files.

First, open the Earth.txt file (the "Jupiterized" one), and change its radius to the normal Earth radius, 315000:
View attachment 34496 => View attachment 34497
This value appears at the very beggining of the file.

Save, then open the game, build your rocket normally, and click "launch" to spawn your rocket:
View attachment 34498 View attachment 34499

Then I strongly suggest that you delete all other rockets (it will make save editing much easier), and save your game:
View attachment 34500
Now close your game.

Next, go to your quicksaves directory, rename your save into ".txt", and open it in a text editor:
View attachment 34501

At the very beginning of the file, you can see the y coordinate of your vessel's global position. Its value should be 315xxx.xxxx.
Simply replace "315" by "3500", and leave the rest unchanged:
View attachment 34502 => View attachment 34503
Save your file, and rename it to ".qks".

Now back to the planet file, change the planet radius from 315000 to 3500000:
View attachment 34504 => View attachment 34505
Save your file.

Now you can start your game, and load your save:
View attachment 34507 View attachment 34508

Activate "No drag", and you're ready to go!
View attachment 34509
For fucks sake, I told them to ban taco bells and they didn't listen.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, after some tons of calculations and trials (and failures o_O), I've finally designed this vehicle, the Spartan:
Screenshot_20200316-235337_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
It's BIG! It's UGLY! It's fed on STEROIDS, it's a GRAVITY KILLER!

I'm sure you're impatient to see this monster in action, so let the 105 engines of that first stage rumble!!!
Screenshot_20200317-002730_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA!!!
(Yes, I admit I called it the Spartan just to make that joke)

The screen shakes so much that there's nothing I can really control but the direction.

Lighting the second stage quickly enough is a real challenge here, but the rest is relatively easy:
Screenshot_20200316-235443_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-000400_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-000458_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-000642_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Seeing the landscape scrolling at such a speed is quite impressive ingame.

I finally reach that point:
Screenshot_20200317-000740_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Nooooo! I just lack something like 60 m/s!
But hopefully, this was not my last stage, I still have a last one with 100% fuel:
Screenshot_20200317-000749_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-000809_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
WOOHOO!!
Screenshot_20200317-001503_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I'm leaving Jupiter! I will live! I will live!
Now I just need a small burn at apoapsis to circularize:
Screenshot_20200317-002046_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-002208_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I did it!
IT'S POSSIBLE TO LEAVE JUPITER!!! (without drag)

But the best part is that I still have fuel, my last stage is full at 85%.

For science, let's see what I can do with that:
Screenshot_20200317-002423_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I barely manage to get an encounter with the Moon. Now I'm on a crashing trajectory with the Moon, and I have no fuel remaining. Oh wait... I'm doomed again! :eek:

Screenshot_20200317-002539_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
And this is how it ends, crashing in the Moon at 1750 m/s. The Spartan defeated Jupiter, but then was annihilated by the Moon.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If I go fully vertical with the same launcher, here is what I end with:
Screenshot_20200317-003557_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-003605_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
1695km. I'm not even halfway to the Moon.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA!!!
I can just imagine Altair looking at my numbers, looking back at his minimalist designs and thinking to himself 'Do I build this? Do go with this madness?'

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

And sparta kicking a fucking planet.

(Yes, I admit I called it the Spartan just to make that joke)
Ha yep. And I'd have thought less of you if you hadn't...

Anyway, good effort dude.

Wanna see how he did it folks...?

(Ignore the TWR, some stages are less than needed but he has special Space Stig powers and gravity does what he wants, not the other way around)

I had to improvise because my sheets don't account for more than 3 stages + powered payload, so I've put the top 4 on one page and the bottom 2 on another one with the balance of the top 4 as a payload.

Screenshot_2020-03-17-01-02-58.png

Screenshot_2020-03-17-01-12-22.png

Dv to LJO = 11,468m/s
Total build Dv = 13,230m/s spread over 6 stages.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I can just imagine Altair looking at my numbers, looking back at his minimalist designs and thinking to himself 'Do I build this? Do go with this madness?'

View attachment 34826

And sparta kicking a fucking planet.

Ha yep. And I'd have thought less of you if you hadn't...

Anyway, good effort dude.

Wanna see how he did it folks...?

(Ignore the TWR, some stages are less than needed but he has special Space Stig powers and gravity does what he wants, not the other way around)

I had to improvise because my sheets don't account for more than 3 stages + powered payload, so I've put the top 4 on one page and the bottom 2 on another one with the balance of the top 4 as a payload.

View attachment 34827
View attachment 34828

Dv to LJO = 11,468m/s
Total build Dv = 13,230m/s spread over 6 stages.
Haha, thanks dude :p

I'll give you the specifications of each stage if you want, but from what I remember, the 3 last stages wouldn't have enough TWR to lift-off by themselves. The only reason why they can do the job is because they are already flying so fast.
I had to take this into account to optimize the launcher, because less TWR needed means you can add more fuel to your stage.

The funniest is that I made my calculations with very debatable approximations, I took a margin to compensate for my mistakes, and in the end it gave practically what I expected!

It feels strange when you do maths the same as flat-Earther and still get the good result :D

so... the earth got converted into me? nice!
Ah yes, and believe me it was hard to leave you. You're so attractive dude! :p

T

TtTOtW

Haha, thanks dude :p

I'll give you the specifications of each stage if you want, but from what I remember, the 3 last stages wouldn't have enough TWR to lift-off by themselves. The only reason why they can do the job is because they are already flying so fast.
I had to take this into account to optimize the launcher, because less TWR needed means you can add more fuel to your stage.

The funniest is that I made my calculations with very debatable approximations, I took a margin to compensate for my mistakes, and in the end it gave practically what I expected!

It feels strange when you do maths the same as flat-Earther and still get the good result :D

Ah yes, and believe me it was hard to leave you. You're so attractive dude! :p
Hahaha! Oh no... Blazer's right, French humour rocks... cringe notwithstanding XD

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, i got the numbers in the sheets from building the stages by eye and working it out from there. Didn't take too long thanks to the copy and paste first and second stages so give or take a few connection components, they should be bang on.

Aye, I seen the low TWR. Comes in handy to keep the stage weights down for the lower stages. Can see you barely make it as well from the altitude numbers that you're falling during the last 3 stages, holding on for dear life doing low level flights at 20,000mph.

t feels strange when you do maths the same as flat-Earther and still get the good result :D
Ha, space stig beats mad mike.