Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Ok, today I decided it was time for a Falcon 9 revamp so here it is. It is full scale, and I am pretty happy with it. The payload adapter area still needs a bit of work, but I'll probably polish it up tomorrow.
1C73EF01-9E15-4F32-9773-C5DA2357BD84.png
9B89E48D-2747-418B-B25C-403DB804388A.png

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Super happy right now! Just landed my X-37B from orbit for the first time!
441882FC-40B9-4109-BD27-1A72F1D2C1DC.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Moar Things...

The XXL Rover series

A group of enormous 23m long, 10m tall 40+ ton rovers.

Untitled4.jpg

The base model sits on a very robust ladder chassis containing sufficient power and cooling for the vehicle

Untitled.png

Currently finished variant include the ground transport shown above, and a complete wheeled mining operation...

Untitled7.jpg

... with facilities to find, mine, store and convert ore, enough power and heat exchangers to run the set up and fitted with legs to become a fixed ground unit whilst drilling.

Untitled1.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Considered the possibility to make other military birds?
3 more sorted aircraft, 1 re-creation and 2 fictional.

First off, the re-creation

Since I've made an F-15 already, I thought it'd be rude not to make the little sibling.

Untitled6.jpg

It's roughly as close as I can make it, the nose is a mod and not something I've made, but everything else is hand made as per.

Untitled5.png

Ignore how nicely it seems to handle in the picture, at partial fuel its a real lady and you can let go of it without SAS and it'll fly nicely.
However, at take-off weight, she's a rowdy bitch and I had to re-build the tail from scratch to not only create the backwards sweep, but to stop it yawing for no bloody reason coming down the runway and smashing into the hanger.

She's responsive and really fast, will sit at mach 1 without the burner. Lit she'll hit about Mach 2.8 in level flight. And has a ridiculous endurance as well, so will cruise at about 350mph with almost no throttle on the wing tanks alone for about 40 minutes.
You have to be nice under manoeuvrers though, the real thing will cut out at about 9g, this one will stay in one piece at beyond 30g, but the pilot took a few naps in the mean time...

And the 'own design' fictional aircraft.

I present my heavy lift cargo planes, the Zeus and the World Lifter.

This is the C-131 Zeus

Named in series with the C-130 Hercules (coming soon), turbo prop powered (It's a mod, but the noise is beautiful).

Untitled7.jpg

Comes with party tricks. Slide your finger from 6-10 and all sorts of things happen...

Untitled5.jpg

The main design brief is that the cargo hold is purely for cargo, so the core aircraft equipment needed to go elsewhere.

The nose and tail are cargo access, with a centrally mounted 'bomb-bay' cargo hold for dropping off un-wheeled cargo. Fuel is held in roof mounted flush tanks and in the wings. The wing roots are mk2 cargo holds with fuel and stowage for power, radiators and remote operation boxes so the aircraft is fully autonomous and cos the fuel is mounted centrally in regards to its centre of mass, there's no weird weight shifting as she drinks 26,000kg of fuel.

She flies like a big transport should, no surprises or weird characteristics. Take off is without incidents and flight very simple. The props are the most powerful I can get my hands on, but she's not a fast bird

Untitled1.jpg

And lands anywhere you like.

Untitled2.jpg

And the wings? These, I'm particularly proud of 007.

Untitled4.jpg

Perfectly symmetrical, no panel gaps or loose seams. The control surfaces fit without clipping, with flaps (which will get an upgrade pretty soon, along with new leading edge slots) and ailerons on the tips. As you can see, there are tip mounted airbrakes, and a view into the mk.2 root containers.

And, jet engines...

The C-18 Worldlifter.

Untitled3.jpg

A title steeped in hubris until you take a closer look.

She has 4 goliath turbofans, the most powerful (and efficient) airbreathing engines in game, rated at a combined 1,400kN of thrust. With full tanks and no cargo, she has a TWR of 1.85 and will go supersonic in level flight at sea level with less the 40% throttle.

Untitled8.jpg

That's right folks. This transport plane can supercruise at 1,200mph and can do it for nearly 2 hours.

How much can it lift? I've no idea. The cargo hold is even bigger than on the Zeus, take-off mass without cargo is nearly 80 tons, so it will climb vertically with another 60 tons on board.

Zeus flies at a TWR of 0.32 and isn't a slouch off the runway. I reckon without any show off zoom climbs, Worldlifter will take off at well over 250tons, especially with the amount of lift those wings are generating.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
3 more sorted aircraft, 1 re-creation and 2 fictional.

First off, the re-creation

Since I've made an F-15 already, I thought it'd be rude not to make the little sibling.

View attachment 29062

It's roughly as close as I can make it, the nose is a mod and not something I've made, but everything else is hand made as per.

View attachment 29063

Ignore how nicely it seems to handle in the picture, at partial fuel its a real lady and you can let go of it without SAS and it'll fly nicely.
However, at take-off weight, she's a rowdy bitch and I had to re-build the tail from scratch to not only create the backwards sweep, but to stop it yawing for no bloody reason coming down the runway and smashing into the hanger.

She's responsive and really fast, will sit at mach 1 without the burner. Lit she'll hit about Mach 2.8 in level flight. And has a ridiculous endurance as well, so will cruise at about 350mph with almost no throttle on the wing tanks alone for about 40 minutes.
You have to be nice under manoeuvrers though, the real thing will cut out at about 9g, this one will stay in one piece at beyond 30g, but the pilot took a few naps in the mean time...

And the 'own design' fictional aircraft.

I present my heavy lift cargo planes, the Zeus and the World Lifter.

This is the C-131 Zeus

Named in series with the C-130 Hercules (coming soon), turbo prop powered (It's a mod, but the noise is beautiful).

View attachment 29064

Comes with party tricks. Slide your finger from 6-10 and all sorts of things happen...

View attachment 29065

The main design brief is that the cargo hold is purely for cargo, so the core aircraft equipment needed to go elsewhere.

The nose and tail are cargo access, with a centrally mounted 'bomb-bay' cargo hold for dropping off un-wheeled cargo. Fuel is held in roof mounted flush tanks and in the wings. The wing roots are mk2 cargo holds with fuel and stowage for power, radiators and remote operation boxes so the aircraft is fully autonomous and cos the fuel is mounted centrally in regards to its centre of mass, there's no weird weight shifting as she drinks 26,000kg of fuel.

She flies like a big transport should, no surprises or weird characteristics. Take off is without incidents and flight very simple. The props are the most powerful I can get my hands on, but she's not a fast bird

View attachment 29068

And lands anywhere you like.

View attachment 29067

And the wings? These, I'm particularly proud of 007.

View attachment 29066

Perfectly symmetrical, no panel gaps or loose seams. The control surfaces fit without clipping, with flaps (which will get an upgrade pretty soon, along with new leading edge slots) and ailerons on the tips. As you can see, there are tip mounted airbrakes, and a view into the mk.2 root containers.

And, jet engines...

The C-18 Worldlifter.

View attachment 29069

A title steeped in hubris until you take a closer look.

She has 4 goliath turbofans, the most powerful (and efficient) airbreathing engines in game, rated at a combined 1,400kN of thrust. With full tanks and no cargo, she has a TWR of 1.85 and will go supersonic in level flight at sea level with less the 40% throttle.

View attachment 29070

That's right folks. This transport plane can supercruise at 1,200mph and can do it for nearly 2 hours.

How much can it lift? I've no idea. The cargo hold is even bigger than on the Zeus, take-off mass without cargo is nearly 80 tons, so it will climb vertically with another 60 tons on board.

Zeus flies at a TWR of 0.32 and isn't a slouch off the runway. I reckon without any show off zoom climbs, Worldlifter will take off at well over 250tons, especially with the amount of lift those wings are generating.
The F-16, I love it.
The C-131, I am impressed of the multi-door design. And I am curious how do you plan to make the bombs?
The C-18 World Lifter , it really honors Its name!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And I am curious how do you plan to make the bombs?
Ah, there's no 'bombs' in the explosive context, it's for dropping off payloads that aren't wheeled and thus can't be driven off the ramps after landing.
It's got roof mounted pallets for attachment points, those doors are on a separate action key to the other ones as well so it'd be a case of flying over a DZ near an anomaly, dropping off some pieces by parachute, then landing somewhere suitable and driving the remainder of the kit in as required

Astro

Registered
Ah, there's no 'bombs' in the explosive context, it's for dropping off payloads that aren't wheeled and thus can't be driven off the ramps after landing.
It's got roof mounted pallets for attachment points, those doors are on a separate action key to the other ones as well so it'd be a case of flying over a DZ near an anomaly, dropping off some pieces by parachute, then landing somewhere suitable and driving the remainder of the kit in as required
Could you try to make a VTOL Aircraft?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Could you try to make a VTOL Aircraft?
I'm experimenting at the moment with rotary aircraft. I've got a CH-47 built, but the problems that you have with aircraft reference balance is magnified with helicopters and by extension VTOL aircraft.
The centre of thrust must go through the centre of mass. Any minor deviations and it will flip over immediately on liftoff. So you have to be on the jazz when it comes to balancing either during the build and then be gentle with take-off during testing and be ready to cut power the second something weird happens.
Then there's the inherent problem with helicopters in that you need a tail rotor that matches and equalises the torque generated by the main rotor. This changes constantly in flight as you throttle up and down and requires delicate and constant balance using the yaw pedals (impossible to do on a keyboard).
That's why I started with the CH-47. The Chinook counteracts this with a second rotor on the back turning in the opposite direction (I could have gone with a single contra-rotational shaft like the Kamov, but I love Chinooks), and it has shitloads of power to counter the other issue which is when you move in a direction, you sacrifice lift for movement which means you need to increase power to maintain altitude. That increase in power then requires more yaw pedal to fly in a straight line.

I want to do V/STOL, but the lack of ducted thrust engines (like the Pegasus onboard the Harrier) mean I'd have to do a similar set up to the Harrier-ski, the Yak-38 VTOL which had 3 engines, 1 for forward flight and 2 vertical ones for lift and hovering. Again, the balance would need to be spot on and transitioning from VTOL to forward flight would be interesting.

There are tilt-rotor engines in the mod from the V-22 Osprey and they do tilt from 0-90 degrees, so I'm going to get around to playing with those to see if they'll tilt together in a controlled manner.

If I can get that system nailed, then the gold standard would be a similar aircraft to the CH-54 Tarhe/SkyCrane with basically a cockpit, a chassis, a tail, huge powerplant system and a winch in the middle for lifting and placing odd sized payloads that won't fit in the mk.3 payload space.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
I'm experimenting at the moment with rotary aircraft. I've got a CH-47 built, but the problems that you have with aircraft reference balance is magnified with helicopters and by extension VTOL aircraft.
The centre of thrust must go through the centre of mass. Any minor deviations and it will flip over immediately on liftoff. So you have to be on the jazz when it comes to balancing either during the build and then be gentle with take-off during testing and be ready to cut power the second something weird happens.
Then there's the inherent problem with helicopters in that you need a tail rotor that matches and equalises the torque generated by the main rotor. This changes constantly in flight as you throttle up and down and requires delicate and constant balance using the yaw pedals (impossible to do on a keyboard).
That's why I started with the CH-47. The Chinook counteracts this with a second rotor on the back turning in the opposite direction (I could have gone with a single contra-rotational shaft like the Kamov, but I love Chinooks), and it has shitloads of power to counter the other issue which is when you move in a direction, you sacrifice lift for movement which means you need to increase power to maintain altitude. That increase in power then requires more yaw pedal to fly in a straight line.

I want to do V/STOL, but the lack of ducted thrust engines (like the Pegasus onboard the Harrier) mean I'd have to do a similar set up to the Harrier-ski, the Yak-38 VTOL which had 3 engines, 1 for forward flight and 2 vertical ones for lift and hovering. Again, the balance would need to be spot on and transitioning from VTOL to forward flight would be interesting.

There are tilt-rotor engines in the mod from the V-22 Osprey and they do tilt from 0-90 degrees, so I'm going to get around to playing with those to see if they'll tilt together in a controlled manner.

If I can get that system nailed, then the gold standard would be a similar aircraft to the CH-54 Tarhe/SkyCrane with basically a cockpit, a chassis, a tail, huge powerplant system and a winch in the middle for lifting and placing odd sized payloads that won't fit in the mk.3 payload space.
Yeah, a reversed rotation propeller is the best choice.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Horus, to make a regular helicopter, can't you make like a reverse rotation propeller for the main rotor, then "build" a fake tail rotor with some rotating parts?