Launch as many satellites as you can in a single rocket launch!

Launch as many satellites as you can!
But under these conditions:

- All (kinds of) cheats, blueprint (BP) editing, tools like PartEditor, mods, texture packs, exploiting/hacking and custom parts are forbidden (BUT infinite build space is allowed)
- The world must be the default solar system in "realistic" mode
- Only one rocket launch is permitted which should be on Earth
- Refuelling, docking, and lunar gravity-assists are forbidden
- You must send all the satellites into a heliocentric orbit with its perihelion inside Venus' orbit (so that it crosses Venus' orbit, but it doesn't need to enter Venus' sphere of influence)
- You must release all satellites below 1000 km above Earth
- Each satellite must also be independent from other satellites
- Your creations must be self-made, using blueprints made by others is not permitted
- The rocket's uppermost stage should also cross Venus' orbit

Each satellite should have at least:
- One fuel tank
- something that makes it controllable (like a capsule or probe)
- One solar panel

You must provide screenshots or a video showing at least all of these points:
- Blueprint(s) of everything you are using in the challenge
- Rocket launch
- deploying all satellites (with velocity and apogeum so I can see if you deployed the satellites below 1000 km)
- the satellites crossing moon's orbit so I can make sure you didn't use gravity-assists on the moon)
- all satellites + last rocket stage inside of Venus' orbit (it is also ok if you show the whole swarm of satellites inside Venus' orbit in one screenshot), it must include all satellites, rocket stage and Venus orbit (and Venus as proof that it is Venus' orbit and not the moon's or any other orbit)

And you must send me the blueprints of the rocket+satellites and the full version name of the SFS you are using.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
EarthAndMoon , there are inconsistencies in your description.

If you already allowed a cheating with infinite bulding area for this challenge, then why Moon gravity assist ever matters at all? Anyone can just add little more engines and fuel tanks right in blueprint, instead of gravity assists, with the same result. You already allowed infinite size and infinite amount of power, why it has any relevance to how that power would be gained? Through adding more fuel tanks or through gravity assist?

You said satellites should be placed in heliocentric orbit below Venus and then you are saying, that satellites should be released right near Earth. That is total contradiction, you need to clarify this in more details. Like how satellites would reach heliocentric orbit from orbit around Earth, what are the rules for this.

So far you allowed the whole peice of fuel tank of any size with one ion engine. Any satellite with ion engine already in space can go anywhere with such huge amount of delta V. There is no challenge in that. Such satellite can go from Earth to heliocentric orbit below Venus and then go to Saturn and then go back to Earch and it still will have a lot of fuel left.

And why do you forbid any refueling, if you already allowed infinite building area cheating? Any "refueling" already can be done right in blueprint by adding more and more fuel tanks and engines, without any limit, no one would even want to refuel, adding all fuel at once at the start is just much easier. And thus it could be like 1000 satellites in one rocket, since there is no limit with infinite building cheating anyway.

If you forbid refueling and gravity assists, then maybe you want also to limit maximum mass or maximum size of starting launcher? Or there is no sense otherwise.

Or, for example, If infinite building area would not be permitted, this part start to make sense. Now not only blueprint size limits amount of power and fuel, but also no gravity assists and no refueling adds to this limitation. And now it is much more interesting to invent satellites themselves and more efficient methods of delivery, so more satellites can be delivered with one launch.

While with infinite area there is no challenge - you can make any not efficient satellites, then copypaste it until there are 1000 or 2000 of them, and then build huge rocket size of half the planet, to deliver it anywhere in solar system. No efficiency at any stage, only endless copypasting.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If you already allowed a cheating with infinite bulding area for this challenge, then why Moon gravity assist ever matters at all? Anyone can just add little more engines and fuel tanks right in blueprint, instead of gravity assists, with the same result. You already allowed infinite size and infinite amount of power, why it has any relevance to how that power would be gained? Through adding more fuel tanks or through gravity assist?
I quite agree with that. Practically everything is disallowed, mods, including the fair ones, bp edit, special maneuvers... but one of the most powerful cheats is allowed, this kinda ruins the whole challenge.

You said satellites should be placed in heliocentric orbit below Venus and then you are saying, that satellites should be released right near Earth. That is total contradiction, you need to clarify this in more details. Like how satellites would reach heliocentric orbit from orbit around Earth, what are the rules for this.
I think he means that you need to release your satellites after your injection burn, but before you reach 1000 km of altitude.

Also EarthAndMoon you are supposed to do your own challenge if you challenge us.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I am Ilovespace3, and I'm the rightful creator of this challenge, as Algoi Persei already showed. Also, if you're gonna copy to my challenge, at least do it yourself.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I think he means that you need to release your satellites after your injection burn, but before you reach 1000 km of altitude.
I understand now, the goal is to make only perihelion of the orbit closer to sun than entire Venus's SOI, but the aphelion of this orbit will still remain at Earth level. While i mistakenly thought, that entire orbit must be closer to sun, than entire Venus's orbit, by more than SOI's radius value.

That could be a nice challenge for efficiency, if all kinds of clipping and infinite building area were prohibited in addition to other rules. And even better if ion engines were forbidden too.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I am Ilovespace3, and I'm the rightful creator of this challenge, as Algoi Persei already showed. Also, if you're gonna copy to my challenge, at least do it yourself.
Just to precise, there are no property rights over challenges. Yours was posted several months ago, and everyone is free to propose his own variation of an already existing challenge. It would be a nightmare if people had to check the whole section before proposing a challenge. We've even had some variations of the ranked missions after all.
However you're right saying that he should do it first.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I’m pretty sure it was over 110 I can’t remember
You don't have to remember, use calculation.

So, we have each Satellite as 5 tons tank plus 0.5 tons solar panel, that would be 5.5 tons per each, plus separators and casings, it would be even more. So, 5.5 * 110 = 605 tons, plus fairings, thus even without separators at all it would be more than 620 tons.

And there is rule, that payload plus launcher must be no more than 900 tons. Where 900-620 = 280.

So, according to your calculations, the rocket with size 280 tons can uplift from launchpad to orbit payload of 620 tons without any cheating?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I read that topic about starlink satellites, and with allowed cheats, bp editing, ion engines and bug using record is 216 satellites with one launcher.

But what is clean record? Without cheating, without using bugs, without engine's stretching and without ion engines?

Phoenix Aerospace

Atlas
Copycat
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
You don't have to remember, use calculation.

So, we have each Satellite as 5 tons tank plus 0.5 tons solar panel, that would be 5.5 tons per each, plus separators and casings, it would be even more. So, 5.5 * 110 = 605 tons, plus fairings, thus even without separators at all it would be more than 620 tons.

And there is rule, that payload plus launcher must be no more than 900 tons. Where 900-620 = 280.

So, according to your calculations, the rocket with size 280 tons can uplift from launchpad to orbit payload of 620 tons without any cheating?
i meant over 110 satellites