Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hi guys!

Ok, you think you masterize SFS? Time to go on a larger scale!
The challenge will be to reach LEO.

- "Wait, is that what you call a challenge?!!"
- "No no, you'll have to reach LEO with a real size Earth!"
- "Come on, It can't make such a difference!"
- "Who knows, you could be surprised!

As raising the Earth's size generates tons of problems, I managed to generate a save in which all problems are solved, but there's an easy way to do it if you want to try with your own rocket. I'll explain it in the end.

There are two files you have to use:
- the Earth.txt file is Earth modded for the challenge.
- the qks is a save file with a rocket I made for the challenge. It's on the launchpad, ready to launch, and that's a rocket with wich I managed to reach LEO, so this is possible :p

You may copy those files in the appropriate directories, but before that:
- First open SFS and make a save of your current progress
The new Earth is 20 times bigger and all your satellites, stations orbiting below 6500 km will be destroyed.
- Also, keep a copy of your original Earth.txt, in a different directory.

Once it's done, open SFS, load the save, and you're good.
The rocket on the lauchpad looks like this:
Screenshot_20190130-180042_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Here is how to fly it:
Screenshot_20190130-231428_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
First, turn on all engines, and go full thrust. The three cores will run out of fuel practically at the same moment. Then, trigger all separators and turn on all engines on the second stage:
Screenshot_20190130-231531_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The 2 annex propellers will run out of fuel sooner, so you'll have to separate them:
Screenshot_20190130-231741_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Then you have 2 remaining stages, nothing special after that.

Good luck, don't hesitate to share your performance (or your counter performance :p)!
Just one tip: you'll have to reach 7850 m/s, so don't expect this to be so easy!

Now here is how to use your own rocket for the challenge.
First, you have to use the SFS Earth. Build your launcher, and click launch so that is spawns normally on the launchpad.
Delete all other ships on the map (you'll have to edit the save), and save the game.
In your savegame directory, your save is a qks file. Change the extension to .txt, and open it with a file editor. It looks like this:
Screenshot_20190131-000941_QuickEdit.jpg
The only thing you have to modify is the y coordinate of the globalPosition section:
Screenshot_20190131-001012_QuickEdit.jpg
Its initial value is a bit more than 315000. You just have to replace "315xxx" by "6400xxx" (6400 km is the new radius, 315 the old one). Don't change the rest, save the file, rename it in .qks, and it's done :)
Replace the Earth.txt by the modded file, and then you can launch SFS, and load your save.

If you build your own rocket, you can use cheats for doing some pad assembly.
When launching, "no drag" is tolerated (I set density to a low value though, so it shouldn't be a problem), but of course you can't use "no gravity" and "infinite fuel".

Good luck!

Attachments

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Hi guys!

As raising the Earth's size generates tons of problems, I managed to generate a save in which all problems are solved, but there's an easy way to do it if you want to try with your own rocket. I'll explain it in the end.

- the qks is a save file with a rocket I made for the challenge. It's on the launchpad, ready to launch, and that's a rocket with wich I managed to reach LEO, so this is possible :p

The new Earth is 20 times bigger and all your satellites, stations orbiting below 6500 km will be destroyed.

View attachment 12883
Here is how to fly it:
View attachment 12884
First, turn on all engines, and go full thrust. The three cores will run out of fuel practically at the same moment. Then, trigger all separators and turn on all engines on the second stage:
View attachment 12885
The 2 annex propellers will run out of fuel sooner, so you'll have to separate them:
View attachment 12886

Good luck, don't hesitate to share your performance (or your counter performance :p)!
Just one tip: you'll have to reach 7850 m/s, so don't expect this to be so easy!

First, you have to use the SFS Earth. Build your launcher, and click launch so that is spawns normally on the launchpad.
Delete all other ships on the map (you'll have to edit the save), and save the game.
In your savegame directory, your save is a qks file. Change the extension to .txt, and open it with a file editor. It looks like this:
View attachment 12888
The only thing you have to modify is the y coordinate of the globalPosition section:
View attachment 12889
Its initial value is a bit more than 315000. You just have to replace "315xxx" by "6400xxx" (6400 km is the new radius, 315 the old one). Don't change the rest, save the file, rename it in .qks, and it's done :)
Replace the Earth.txt by the modded file, and then you can launch SFS, and load your save.

When launching, "no drag" is tolerated (I set density to a low value though, so it shouldn't be a problem), but of course you can't use "no gravity" and "infinite fuel".

Good luck!
Ah damn this would of been cool to do :(

All that just to bring 4 tons to LEO? If this is really is real earth, there are actually vehicles smaller than this able to carry 4 tons to LEO.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Its difficult that no one even tried it
It's difficult indeed, but as there are several people that asked for a real size solar system I thought they would be interested.
At least I liked it :)

All that just to bring 4 tons to LEO? If this is really is real earth, there are actually vehicles smaller than this able to carry 4 tons to LEO.
Yeah, I really did my best though. The bad engine characteristics probably don't help. More efficient boosters would allow them to last longer etc...

Yeah, I really did my best though. The bad engine characteristics probably don't help. More efficient boosters would allow them to last longer etc...
Should we ask Stef to implement a ambient pressure variable efficiency system? Realism features like theses must be implemented first than more fancy rocket parts.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Should we ask Stef to implement a ambient pressure variable efficiency system? Realism features like theses must be implemented first than more fancy rocket parts.
That would be interesting, but I'm not sure it is his priority. And Stef tends to make his game accesible, he's generally not willing to add complexity...

That would be interesting, but I'm not sure it is his priority. And Stef tends to make his game accesible, he's generally not willing to add complexity...
Don't worry, variable efficiency would be the last thing kiddies think about when they fly their rockets, even if it is implemented, they'll still fly their rockets like normal, just that they'll notice their rockets use less fuel to reach LEO.

T

TtTOtW

Very true what you said there. That may follow later, but not now.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Don't worry, variable efficiency would be the last thing kiddies think about when they fly their rockets, even if it is implemented, they'll still fly their rockets like normal, just that they'll notice their rockets use less fuel to reach anywhere.
You get a point. Lots of people doesn't even consider Isp indeed...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
did it lol
old vid(ignore music):
Cool video, thanks for sharing this! And the music is cool, it makes the video more pleasant to watch. Mine is pretty boring in comparison.

Hi guys!

View attachment 12883
Here is how to fly it:
View attachment 12884
View attachment 12885
View attachment 12886

View attachment 12888
View attachment 12889

Good luck!
Does the save only allow me to launch your rocket? Everytime I try to launch my own it just ends up beneath the ground.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Does the save only allow me to launch your rocket? Everytime I try to launch my own it just ends up beneath the ground.
Yes, the save only allows to launch my rocket. You can design your own rocket but you'll have to edit the save to set its starting position on the launchpad. I described the procedure in the first message, you just have to change the "y" coordinate from 315.xxx meters to 6.400.xxx meters.
The save allows people to make a try without having to do this, that's why I proposed it.

Yes, the save only allows to launch my rocket. You can design your own rocket but you'll have to edit the save to set its starting position on the launchpad. I described the procedure in the first message, you just have to change the "y" coordinate from 315.xxx meters to 6.400.xxx meters.
The save allows people to make a try without having to do this, that's why I proposed it.
I also spent 15 minutes returning to the surface, but I seem to fall through the ground, is there anyway to fix this?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I also spent 15 minutes returning to the surface, but I seem to fall through the ground, is there anyway to fix this?
Not as far as I know. The launchpad is ok but the rest of the planet is "liquid" indeed.
I think we would have to mess with the terrain data, but I don't know how it works...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well done Blazer! :)
Was that with the rocket I proposed?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well done! Your launcher is better designed than mine. The one I made is massive in comparison!