Light Speed!

Having not seen it but taking a guess, if you only burn the ions you'd get 22,000m/s out of it. Turning on the Frontiers drops that to 5500m/s, although you'll actually notice the acceleration that way, although there's almost no point in the ions with that many frontiers ISP wise, they're just dead weight
That would be net acceleration I guess, the crude rocket is made of 39 boosters behind the ion craft...
I’ll burn maybe 20secs at a time, consolidate fuel and drop 2-4 boosters at a time depending how lazy I am while I watch tv some quiet night
This was my first attempt when I first started playing around months ago, strait from Earth orbit with maybe 1/3 the boosters
C6A83F3C-4F21-4047-A507-ABED90F2EB63.png

Thinking I’ll try GAs Venus to Jupiter, would taking it low around the sun maximize fuel efficiency for the main burn?
I know it can’t give a GA cuz ya know, we’re relative to the Sun, but lowest possible orbit is maximum efficiency I’m figuring if Jupiter would cooperate that way...this is greater GA 101 for me, probably make a few goes and see what happens (certainly not light speed, lol)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That would be net acceleration I guess, the crude rocket is made of 39 boosters behind the ion craft...
I’ll burn maybe 20secs at a time, consolidate fuel and drop 2-4 boosters at a time depending how lazy I am while I watch tv some quiet night
This was my first attempt when I first started playing around months ago, strait from Earth orbit with maybe 1/3 the boosters View attachment 25871
Thinking I’ll try GAs Venus to Jupiter, would taking it low around the sun maximize fuel efficiency for the main burn?
I know it can’t give a GA cuz ya know, we’re relative to the Sun, but lowest possible orbit is maximum efficiency I’m figuring if Jupiter would cooperate that way...this is greater GA 101 for me, probably make a few goes and see what happens (certainly not light speed, lol)
Your strategy is a good one. You can't gravity assist with the Sun indeed, but you can use the Oberth effect. I did something similar with a challenge that consisted in leaving the solar system at highest possible speed (I reached something like 45 km/s):
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/alpha-centauri.2095/#post-35336

Ions will help you greatly (but as Horus said, you'll still have a finite delta-V from them on a single stage). The main problem is that your fly-by of the Sun will not last long compared to the burn time of ion engines. That's why I had a stage with Frontier engines that could provide a significant delta-V (around 4000 m/s) at the most efficient moment.

But no matter how you proceed, there's still no realistic way you can beat the speed of light :confused:

Your strategy is a good one. You can't gravity assist with the Sun indeed, but you can use the Oberth effect. I did something similar with a challenge that consisted in leaving the solar system at highest possible speed (I reached something like 45 km/s):
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/alpha-centauri.2095/#post-35336

Ions will help you greatly (but as Horus said, you'll still have a finite delta-V from them on a single stage). The main problem is that your fly-by of the Sun will not last long compared to the burn time of ion engines. That's why I had a stage with Frontier engines that could provide a significant delta-V (around 4000 m/s) at the most efficient moment.

But no matter how you proceed, there's still no realistic way you can beat the speed of light :confused:
Going to burn the frontiers and drop boosters fast as possible round the sun then burn ions for a couple hours leaving the sun, think I could break 60km/s...we’ll see

Space pilot

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
This is not ok we will lost in space.
First I used cheat 'unbreakable' parts to put my rocket on launchpad. It's not cheating
Screenshot_2020-06-01-08-51-58-312_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.png

Hay do me I'm here
Screenshot_2020-06-01-09-04-41-061_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.png
:cool::cool:

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
But if we are talking about speed of light then we would need those
I mean technically you could just wait, but in general I think the whole challenge is not really that feasible base game. Not to mention that it was created two years ago.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I want to see if VEEGA can bring me to light speed
VEEGA is powerful, but... light speed = 300.000.000 m/s. In my opinion you'll be a bit short :p

T

TtTOtW

3 E's will be beyond Pluto. But we can reach many thousands of millions of kilometres before being lost for solar pull.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
3 E's will be beyond Pluto. But we can reach many thousands of millions of kilometres before being lost for solar pull.
Well you'll always come back. But x100000 time warp isn't going to make that orbital period short

And you have to keep hitting Earth to make them work, which means working out resonance orbits when you can't see your apoapsis...