Light Speed!

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
My challenge for you is to reach the Speed of Light!

The only cheat you are allowed to use is 'Infinite fuel'.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
what is the speed of light? wasn't it like 380,000,000,000 m/s?
299,792,458 m/s to be precise. But this may really take a crazy time to reach such a speed :eek:

299,792,458 m/s to be precise. But this may really take a crazy time to reach such a speed :eek:
But so far nobody had said its impossible... So, there you go. There's a challenging challenge.

as far as I know, speed of light is constant... however, there,s a glitch that screws with things the further you get from the solar system. I might do some calculations later to see how long it might take assuming the glitch doesn't happen only if im bothered

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I thougt It might be just possible by accelerating around the Sun in a straight line, not an ellipse (like when you flyby a planet at very high speed) with an extremely light and extremely powerful ship. That's why I allowed INFINITE FUEL.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
This will be far from being enough. We tried that strategy in a speed challenge (without cheats though):
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/challenge-speed.575/
This allowed to reach approximately 100,000 m/s. The light speed is 300,000,000 m/s, we are still really far from it. It's really huge, at that speed you would travel from Earth to the Sun in 10 seconds :eek:
Just to be precise, that would be 10 seconds ingame, as distances are scaled down, this would be 8 minutes 20 seconds in real life.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I gave it a try, but "only" reached 200,000m/s.
Screenshot_20180725-133839_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I stopped because I calculated this would take more than 20 days to reach the speed of light.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What if you time warp. Or did you do that
But you can't activate thrust while time-warping, it's not an option. Of course if that was possible it would be easy.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I am kinda curious if anyone has other ideas... Maybe bp editing an engine to change the thrust and consumption?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Maybe bp editing an engine to change the thrust and consumption?
Doesn't making an engine larger make it more powerful? Maybe a Titan the size of a build screen would generate the ridiculous amount of thrust required to breach light speed before 1.6 gets released. Add a 5t tank and a probe to the top, get it to orbit, turn on infinite fuel and leave it running whilst you go for dinner.

I’ve had a crazy large rocket in LEO I built forever ago, 100 frontiers, 14 ions and near 15,000t of fuel if I’m reading my old scribbled notes right...
Going to try and get a couple assists and burn in about 12 or 15 stages and see where I get

Should do that soon in case 1.5 breaks it, and since I mentioned it I guess I’d be embarrassed if I didn’t try

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I’ve had a crazy large rocket in LEO I built forever ago, 100 frontiers, 14 ions and near 15,000t of fuel if I’m reading my old scribbled notes right...
Going to try and get a couple assists and burn in about 12 or 15 stages and see where I get

Should do that soon in case 1.5 breaks it, and since I mentioned it I guess I’d be embarrassed if I didn’t try
Having not seen it but taking a guess, if you only burn the ions you'd get 22,000m/s out of it. Turning on the Frontiers drops that to 5500m/s, although you'll actually notice the acceleration that way, although there's almost no point in the ions with that many frontiers ISP wise, they're just dead weight