Lunar Base Contest (now feedback thread)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
With the 53rd anniversary of the first lunar landing fast approaching, NASA has decided to give the go ahead on a new lunar base, and are looking to contract it with a commercial partner.
It’s your responsibility to design a base, scout out a suitable location, transport it there, and set up the base for operations as part of the new CasPr (commercial lunar service program) base contract.

Now, NASA is working with a limited budget, and as a result wants the mission completed in as few launches as possible. Think you’re up for it? Here’s what’s required:
  • Foothold: 4 launches or less to put the base on the moon. It must have a habitat module, a power module, and an airlock module.
  • Here to Stay: Got what it takes? Well here’s where you can prove it. 7 launches maximum, every module above, and additionally a landing pad and a rover.
You design the pieces of the base and the rocket/s to get them to the moon.
For non-DLC players it works exactly the same way, except limited to non-DLC parts and build grid.

Winner of each category gets a badge that allows unlimited post editing/deletion time, and the overall winner will get a badge that in addition gives the ability to bypass thread approval in sections that require it.

Potential extra modules to fill out your launch manifest:
Greenhouse, more habitats, more power, garage, communications.

Rules:
  • No cheats or exploits! This goes without saying, can't break the laws of physics.
  • BP editing is allowed for part clipping, but engine stretching and "no heat" are forbidden.
  • Additionally, no excessive part stretching that gives a dry mass advantage.
  • No ion engines! The Department of Energy doesn't feel like giving permits for nuclear rockets.
  • Must use the stock 1:20 solar system
  • No 0g Pad Assembly
  • No damage allowed.
  • Only cosmetic mods allowed.
This contest will run until the 3rd of August. Happy flying!

Last edited:

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
With the 53rd anniversary of the first lunar landing fast approaching, NASA has decided to give the go ahead on a new lunar base, and are looking to contract it with a commercial partner.
It’s your responsibility to design a base, scout out a suitable location, transport it there, and set up the base for operations as part of the new CasPr (commercial lunar service program) base contract.

Now, NASA is working with a limited budget, and as a result wants the mission completed in as few launches as possible. Think you’re up for it? Here’s what’s required:
  • Foothold: 4 launches or less to put the base on the moon. It must have a habitat module, a power module, and an airlock module.
  • Here to Stay: Got what it takes? Well here’s where you can prove it. 7 launches maximum, every module above, and additionally a landing pad and a rover.
For non-DLC players it works exactly the same way, except limited to non-DLC parts and build grid.

Winner of each category gets a badge that allows unlimited post editing/deletion time, and the overall winner will get a badge that in addition gives the ability to bypass thread approval in sections that require it.

Rules:
  • No cheats or exploits! This goes without saying, can't break the laws of physics.
  • BP editing is allowed for part clipping, but engine stretching and "no heat" are forbidden.
  • No ion engines! The Department of Energy doesn't feel like giving permits for nuclear rockets.
  • No 0g Pad Assembly
Nice

Question, is the airlock supposed to connect to the hab

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Few Questions:
1. Are you allowed multiple entries (or multiple attempts) or is this 1 entry per person - first entry counts?
2. What is defined as a "landing pad" and "0g Pad assembly" I feel I would quickly run afoul of this if not clarified.
(Example the current moon base plan I was already thinking about involved an inverted "T" with ports to capture craft vertically).
3. I'm assuming you need to show each build/launch + final moon base?
4. Do all the modules have to touch (including the landing pad and rover)
5. How is the contest scored, max tonnage on the moon vs. launch weight, orginallity of design?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Few Questions:
1. Are you allowed multiple entries (or multiple attempts) or is this 1 entry per person - first entry counts?
2. What is defined as a "landing pad" and "0g Pad assembly" I feel I would quickly run afoul of this if not clarified.
(Example the current moon base plan I was already thinking about involved an inverted "T" with ports to capture craft vertically).
3. I'm assuming you need to show each build/launch + final moon base?
4. Do all the modules have to touch (including the landing pad and rover)
5. How is the contest scored, max tonnage on the moon vs. launch weight, orginallity of design?
1. You can make a thread, post your entry as you go (launch by launch or whatever suits you), and yes you can restart an entry at any time, or revert to an earlier state and continue from there.
You CAN have two simultaneous entries, one in each category, but only one can win in the end (we pick).

2. Landing pad is any structure that a rocket lands on, not necessarily a flat pad.
0g assembly, which is forbidden here, is when you assemble together multiple components on the earth launchpad and launch them all together.

3. Yes, for each rocket you need to show it in the buildscreen, launch, landing and payload deployed, plus the base photo at the end.

4. That is up to you.

5. Efficiency, originality, creativity, end result, in no particular order. Just go out and make a cool base. ;)

Kormak

Registered
Questions:

1. 0g assembely in LEO acceptable (following rules of course) ?

2. Firstly, I may be wrong. I think there is a size difference between the mobile and
Steam version of SFS. I assume it would be acceptable to work with the Steam
version of SFS? It has non-cheating advantages, such as: More processing power
and easier for me to use than mobile.

3. Are pre-existing LEO stations allowed to be used for refueling?

Thanks in advance for answers!

Kormak

Registered
Questions:

2. Firstly, I may be wrong. I think there is a size difference between the mobile and

To clarify question two, I mean build grid size difference with the Steam version being slightly larger.

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
2. Landing pad is any structure that a rocket lands on, not necessarily a flat pad.
0g assembly, which is forbidden here, is when you assemble together multiple components on the earth launchpad and launch them all together.
Ah, I understand, thank you for the clarification. The confusion was do the the fact that on the surface of the earth is 1g and I was curious why 0g (space) assembly would not be allowed.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
. Firstly, I may be wrong. I think there is a size difference between the mobile and
I hope it is allowed, because I can't play that much SFS on my phone lol

Also, can we use lithobraking?

Kormak

Registered
I hope it is allowed, because I can't play that much SFS on my phone lol

After I purchased the game for my computer, it's my favorite way to play. I can do all my huge projects easily. It's harder to do those things on my tablet, but I still like to play on it!

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
After I purchased the game for my computer, it's my favorite way to play. I can do all my huge projects easily. It's harder to do those things on my tablet, but I still like to play on it!
For me it's just that I have more strict restrictions on my phone

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Questions:

1. Yeah, do what you want after launch.
2. Yes you can use steam edition, just don't use infinite build grid. :p
3. Nope, everything you use needs to be carried by the set number of launches you're given.

Oops, forgot to add no damage to the first post. :p Fixed.

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
If I first make a foothold, then expand it into category 2, can I submit it to both categories?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Sure, I suppose.
Just a reminder that only one will be picked for a win, if that situation comes up.

Rules:
  • No 0g Pad Assembly
  • No damage allowed.
This contest will run until the 3rd of August. Happy flying!
Not really qualified (yet) for this challenge, but I just designed a recreation of Jamestown from For All Mankind
Screenshot_20220714-195813.png

ASC

Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
i have no idea how this will work...
but i think the difficulty of this contest is: kind of hard to very hard

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Not really, you can use 1 launch for every module if you need to. :) And there aren't that many modules.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hmmm gonna stretch some ram now for uh yes

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Okay so I need to ask based on the Team Hawk Convo.

Ion Engines, and 100 vs. 80 meter build screen… yay or nay?

CST-100

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
It is clearly stated on the initial post that ion engines are banned from the contest.
No ion engines! The Department of Energy doesn't feel like giving permits for nuclear rockets.
As for Steam Edition having a larger build grid, I'd say only use 80m to be safe.