Mars Bases!

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, I finally made some time to work on some new bases (I demolished The older ones So Its a fresh start). The first one is on Mars, the second one on Phobos. I plan to build another one on Deimos and One or two more on Mars itself. A little about each base:

Mars - Base 01: Curiosity
Screenshot_20190619-085651.png

As you can see it has a Rover, an HQ with an antenna, two greenhouses on top of Crew habitations, and a Lab with Solar Panels on top of a third habitation.
To the right is the escape craft.

This base it is located on the top of Olympus Mt. so Its the highest surface base on the Solar system.

Phobos - Base 02: Spirit
Screenshot_20190618-223309.png

This base was originally designed to be mobile. While trying to design a rolling Rover for Phobos, I thought that If I made it too heavy, under the ultralow gravity, it will act as a light Vehicle on normal gravity... That didn't work.

So I decided to leave it there as a surface base. On the interstages on the central piece there are drones that I can use to scout Phobos:
Screenshot_20190618-222248.png

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Okay, I finally made some time to work on some new bases (I demolished The older ones So Its a fresh start). The first one is on Mars, the second one on Phobos. I plan to build another one on Deimos and One or two more on Mars itself. A little about each base:

Mars - Base 01: Curiosity View attachment 21444
As you can see it has a Rover, an HQ with an antenna, two greenhouses on top of Crew habitations, and a Lab with Solar Panels on top of a third habitation.

This base it is located on the top of Olympus Mt. so Its the highest surface base on the Solar system.

View attachment 21446
This base was originally designed to be mobile. While trying to design a rolling Rover for Phobos, I thought that If I made it too heavy, under the ultralow gravity, it will act as a light Vehicle on normal gravity... That didn't work.

So I decided to leave it there as a surface base. On the interstages on the central piece there are drones that I can use to scout Phobos: View attachment 21447
What is up with the colors of Mars and Phobos?

wow... my first mission to mars went wacky, but the UltraThrust mod screwed up... No wonder why I got out of Earth's SOI without even jettisoning anything (Thrust was still set to 1.0x) :p

Although, sounds like a fun mission!

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered

View attachment 21446

So I decided to leave it there as a surface base. On the interstages on the central piece there are drones that I can use to scout Phobos: View attachment 21447
Cool base :)

View attachment 21446

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, I sent two more modules to Space!
Screenshot_20190621-201151.png

And the SCV Fleet joins the construction!
Screenshot_20190621-220003.png

The base should be finished tomorrow

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, the construction is finished! What I did was using an SCV as a tug and a drone for assembly:

Trip configuration:
Screenshot_20190622-102517.png

Deimos Orbital Assembly:
Screenshot_20190622-105922.png

And here it is:
Deimos - Base 03: Opportunity
Screenshot_20190622-112642.png

From left to right it has a scouting-drone Garage (similar to the One I used on Phobos), a Lab with Solar Array, two Crew habitats with their greenhouses on top, the HQ, and the return spacecraft.

End of the mission (for now):
Screenshot_20190622-113933.png

Hey. I am interested in the map view (the one that you use for trajectories) of Mars, Phobos, and Deimos just because I noticed the texture for Mars with different. This might mean the distances and scale of the moons would be different too! Are you also using a mod?

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Hey. I am interested in the map view (the one that you use for trajectories) of Mars, Phobos, and Deimos just because I noticed the texture for Mars with different. This might mean the distances and scale of the moons would be different too! Are you also using a mod?
No, the Map view is exactly the same. I just changed the visuals of the planets.
Screenshot_20190622-184624.png

And about the texture I used for Mars, Its not a mod, Its just planet editing. Its a day-night cycle for Mars made by myself. You can find it on Planet Downloads
Mars_cycle.jpg

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
I love the naming!
wait nevermind, Blaze prob ran outa naming ideas
I just like to call my surface bases with the names of famous Missions destined to the Planet they are in, and about the Space Stations, with names of famous Scientists dedicated to study that planet.
For example, on Mars I have a Space Station named Sagan Spaceport, and about the surface bases, Well you know: Curiosity, Spirit and Opportunity

View attachment 21446

Awesome!

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
A new Rover was sent to Mars to search for a good spot to stablish a new base. I tried to make it as realistic as possible:
Screenshot_20190622-234844.png

Cruise Stage Separation:
Screenshot_20190622-234856.png

Atmospheric Fall:
Screenshot_20190622-235235.png

Thermal Shield Separation:
Screenshot_20190622-235417.png

Landing
Screenshot_20190622-235524.png

Deployment :) :
Screenshot_20190622-235632.png

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
So I finally have a fully functional, Mobile Base on Du--- errr, Mars!

Screenshot_20190625-135815.png

It contains everything a normal base would have, only that in a portable design. It runs at about 7 meters per second and it has a microrover to explore specific spots.

Attachments

How’s that for an ugly rocket?

Tested the adjustable fuel elevator on the Moon and it worked well enough, but remodeled it with a probe and 2 extra rcs I hope works on Mars...

Since I sent 2 versions of my full Fuel Depot up I decided to super size it...

Attachments