Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
No information is ever lost. According to the latest and greatest minds in physics. Hey what do I know? Pay attention to what's going on around you is my best advice.
Like, man, that's not even relevant to your point, which I was concerned about.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So God is at fault? Can I sue? Get an injunction?

By definition, (An unintentional act that causes damage or injury) being hit by a meteor ticks every box as an accident.

Unless you're gonna tell me the meteor was sentient and was aiming for him...?
You're saying the meteor wasn't? Sounds kinda prejudiced.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
No information is ever lost
Very true. Doesn't make it easy to find though

You're saying the meteor wasn't? Sounds kinda prejudiced.
Well, I'm a prejudicial against thinking space rocks kind of guy.

Sufficient due diligence would have prevented it.
Man on motorbike stuck by lightning crashes into and kills old lady.
Courts find him guilty of vehicular murder as he 'should've seen that lightning bolt coming and avoided it'.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Unforseen does not mean unpredictable. Since we seem destined to carry this point to the absolute extreme.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Very true. Doesn't make it easy to find though

Well, I'm a prejudicial against thinking space rocks kind of guy.

Man on motorbike stuck by lightning crashes into and kills old lady.
Courts find him guilty of vehicular murder as he 'should've seen that lightning bolt coming and avoided it'.
Nope but if he'd avoided a) driving in a thunderstorm b) exceeding safe driving speed, woman may be alive. Wait, you say, lighting from a blue sky. And around and around. Can beat this poor horse to death. And would that be an accident?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Unforseen does not mean unpredictable. Since we seem destined to carry this point to the absolute extreme.
Well you make a statement as absolute as all accidents are preventable, prepare to defend it.

The lightning works for unforseen and unpredictable. You can't predict exact locations for lightning strikes. And they move at the speed of light, making them unforeseeable.

Nope but if he'd avoided a) driving in a thunderstorm b) exceeding safe driving speed, woman may be alive. Wait, you say, lighting from a blue sky. And around and around. Can beat this poor horse to death. And would that be an accident?
Driving in a thunderstorm isn't illegal. He could be on an essential journey. If you want, I can create a scenario with one really easily.
And who says he was speeding? What is a safe riding speed to be struck by lightning? The world and its dispatch riders need to know to avoid criminal proceedings.
Does the colour of the sky matter? Is lightning more easily spotted aiming for you if the sky is blue?
You call it beating a horse, I call it establishing a set of objective circumstances.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Well you make a statement as absolute as all accidents are preventable, prepare to defend it.

The lightning works for unforseen and unpredictable. You can't predict exact locations for lightning strikes. And they move at the speed of light, making them unforeseeable.

Driving in a thunderstorm isn't illegal. He could be on an essential journey. If you want, I can create a scenario with one really easily.
And who says he was speeding? What is a safe riding speed to be struck by lightning? The world and its dispatch riders need to know to avoid criminal proceedings.
Does the colour of the sky matter? Is lightning more easily spotted aiming for you if the sky is blue?
You call it beating a horse, I call it establishing a set of objective circumstances.
Well lighting doesn't move at the speed of light. But this just not worth the effort. My only point is, the biggest majority of accidents can be avoided with a little more observation. Take it for what you will.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well lighting doesn't move at the speed of light. But this just not worth the effort. My only point is, the biggest majority of accidents can be avoided with a little more observation. Take it for what you will.
'Not worth the effort', but again here you are bobby me old son, over a week later, shovel in hand, digging things up.

Firstly, an apology. Sorry, lightning (depending on atmospheric pressure and which part of the strike) doesn't move at exactly the speed of light.

However, at roughly 100,000m/s, it's still slightly out of human reaction times. Even if the rider was staring up at the sky, ever vigilant to that pesky lightning strike crosshair looming over him, at those speeds it doesn't matter that it isn't moving at the speed of light.
Because by the time the light from the bolt starting to move downwards had hit his eyes and that information has been transmitted from his retina to his brain that the strike was coming and evasive action is required, he's already been hit.
So regardless, it's something you can't foresee, nor is its strike location something you can predict.

Your post hasn't helped your case. It just means we have to do the numbers thing. And my point and scenario still stand bobby boy.

And you didn't say biggest majority. If you had, I'd have likely agreed with you. But you didn't. There was no majority, no leeway.

You said all.

I've always been taught there's no such thing as an accident.
Sufficient due diligence would have prevented it
So my point is still this. In a perfectly logical and not at all impossible scenario of a dispatch rider crashing into and injuring a pedestrian after being struck by lighting, and in your world of absolutely zero unmitigatable accidents, who is at fault? Who wasn't paying due care and attention?

Who fucked up when some poor bastard gets struck by lightning and crashes his bike into some poor old lady? What due diligence could the rider have shown in this situation that would've negated this accident? Or would you like him to ride down the road weaving around like he's trying to avoid gunfire every time the sky is a bit dark and rumbley? Or must he have stayed indoors cos the weatherman says it's gonna be a stormy night?

I need to know, because lessons need to be learned. Laws changed, practices adjusted, mindsets altered. And of course, where there is a blame, there is a claim. And that old lady is looking for a claim bobby. Cos that bike really hurt when it hit her and someone is to blame.

So does she sue the rider, for not avoiding a bolt of lightning moving faster than his brain can process stimuli? Does the rider sue her, for getting in his way as he's careering out of control after being banged with a few hundred thousand volts? Do we sue God for acting maliciously and aiming the strike at the rider? Do we make a law stating that all riders need to either ride around staring at the sky whilst making themselves difficult to hit with evasive actions (because apparently that helps to avoid lightning strikes), or one banning all motorcycle riding in inclement weather?

Or is it an accident and we (you) accept that sometimes
shit just happens and there's no amount of due diligence or vigilance that will change that.
The defence rests your honour.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
ALTHOUGH lightning itself doesn't move at the speed of light, that would seem to be rendered kind of moot by how the bottom part of the strike comes out of the ground.
Hypothetically, if you had fast enough reflexes to avoid lightening moving at 100,000m/s, it would still have gone through you by the time you see it assuming you're standing on the ground.