Mercury mission

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
U need to fly to Mercury and back.

Rules:
No cheats, no bp edited parts. Rocket must be 100t and less.

Good luck

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Interesting challenge. Remember that you are supposed to do it yourself first :)

Astatium_209

Alliance’s Executor // Unstable and Toxic
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2021

Rules:

Good luck
What about Ions? There are a few people out there that don't consider them cheating...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I have already done it 3 month ago:cool: Your try
I'll do it with pleasure, don't worry. But that's a general rule, if you propose a challenge you have to show that you did it yourself too. We set that rule to avoid that people post crazy challenges that they didn't even try themselves.

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
I'll do it with pleasure, don't worry. But that's a general rule, if you propose a challenge you have to show that you did it yourself too. We set that rule to avoid that people post crazy challenges that they didn't even try themselves.
Yeah i ll do it hmmmmmm....
after 5 days. "I ll do" in this I meant that i ll publish rocket and completed challenge

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend

Rules:

Good luck
Ah yes NON IONS
So, less than 100 tons, Mercury and back, no Ions?

I don’t think this is possible. Landing on Mercury, 100 percent doable (I already did it in 1.35, with less than 50 tons, because everything is half the mass) but returning to Earth? I really doubt it.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
He said he did it, so all he needs to do to prove it is screenshots.:)

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
You felt it was necessary to post that... Why?
Quote a post so we know what your refering to and after put something more useful. Putting "..." In your post is fine , you should just tell them why it's silly or bad or whatever. That wouldn't be necessary here anyway as the problem has already been evaluated and pointed out unless you had another problem to point out or something useful to add regarding the first problem.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yeah i ll do it hmmmmmm....
after 5 days. "I ll do" in this I meant that i ll publish rocket and completed challenge
Ok I'll wait :)

For your information I just tried, for now I'm not frankly sure this is possible. And this wouldn't be the first time I go to Mercury and come back from it. I'm truly impatient to see how you proceed!

I thought I was good at that game, but I just discovered yesterday that some people could easily send a payload in a 20000 km Sun orbit, and now Mercury way and back in less than 100 tons without ions... I live some really exciting moments!

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
For your information I just tried, for now I'm not frankly sure this is possible. And this wouldn't be the first time I go to Mercury and come back from it. I'm truly impatient to see how you proceed!
I see I’m not the only one! Guess we’ll just have to wait for Loxy ’s submission, to see how he proceeds.
I thought I was good at that game, but I just discovered yesterday that some people could easily send a payload in a 20000 km Sun orbit, and now Mercury way and back in less than 100 tons without ions... I live some really exciting moments!
Not to mention a recent 2000 km high rocket...

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So, less than 100 tons, Mercury and back, no Ions?

I don’t think this is possible. Landing on Mercury, 100 percent doable (I already did it in 1.35, with less than 50 tons, because everything is half the mass) but returning to Earth? I really doubt it.
I'm going to try. Getting into orbit is half the battle. Other half is climbing out of the well. Thinking small. I just happen to have been playing with small lately. Been an eye opener

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Why? Ions are the future
I'm going to try. Getting into orbit is half the battle. Other half is climbing out of the well. Thinking small. I just happen to have been playing with small lately. Been an eye opener
These are 4 minutes apart. Condense your posts.

I don’t think this is possible
I'm not frankly sure this is possible
I was mulling this one last night, and I'm in agreement. I have done 100t to Mercury and almost back again (the Razor Resurrect challenge), but that needed ion engines.
Without them? I can't see it being done. The re-fuel rocket I sent there during the Frontier trip was 60t and that only had to move 30t from LEO to LMO (all up. 95t).

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
firstly ions dont consume electric anymore which gives ions the almost infinite engine until your fuel comes out.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
firstly ions dont consume electric anymore which gives ions the almost infinite engine until your fuel comes out.
What can be done is to make mandatory the use of solar panels/RTGs on the Ion stage, like in the previous versions.
For example, for every Ion engine you must have either:
  • 2 small solar panels
  • 1 big solar panel
  • 4 RTGs
That’s how they worked in the previous versions. That way they are a bit less cheaty. But without them, It really looks like impossible.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Cheat thing.

panels/RTGs on the Ion stage, like in the previous versions.
For example, for every Ion engine you must have either:
2 small solar panels
1 big solar panel
4 RTGs

These are 4 minutes apart. Condense your posts.

was mulling this one last night, and I'm in agreement. I have done 100t to Mercury and almost back again (the Razor Resurrect challenge), but that needed ion engines.
Without them? I can't see it being done. The re-fuel rocket I sent there during the Frontier trip was 60t and that only had to move 30t from LEO to LMO (all up. 95t).

Ah, the ol "It's an official part of the game but it's a cheat logic." Hard to argue with that.

Blazer has a valid idea. One of these centuries electrical will return. Maybe not this millinium but we can hope.

I made Mercury orbit with just under 70 tons of rocket. I think it's doable. If you say impossible Altair I bow to your experience and I stand corrected. I used Venus once and the last of my fuel got me into orbit. Under 60 tons of fuel consumption.

Horry what can I say? I'm mentally deficit. Work with me.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ah, the ol "It's an official part of the game but it's a cheat logic." Hard to argue with that
The ions re-introduced in 1.5 aren't cheating, they're just brokenly over-powered for several reasons. The measures blazer mentioned balance them back to a level they were at 1.4 where they were slightly less OP as fuck.

I made Mercury orbit with just under 70 tons of rocket. I think it's doable
Well, there's more than a few of us here that'd be interested to see that. Because you've got just over 30 tons to get to the surface, get back to orbit and get back to Earth.

I'm mentally deficit. Work with me
I know. And I try.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Let me restate for those who think it can be done without ions:
Proving it is as simple as posting screenshots of the mission.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The ions re-introduced in 1.5 aren't cheating, they're just brokenly over-powered for several reasons. The measures blazer mentioned balance them back to a level they were at 1.4 where they were slightly less OP as fuck.

Well, there's more than a few of us here that'd be interested to see that. Because you've got just over 30 tons to get to the surface, get back to orbit and get back to Earth.

I know. And I try.
I do as well. We all have our burdens to bear. It was a test run. I surprised myself.. I badly screwed up 2nd run rushing it to get some documentation. here's some screenshots and a bp. Orbiting Mercury with this set up is very doable. The math is fine the operator needs some work. Wound up taking 2 passes at venus because I time warped past my perigee. I only got within spitting distance this time. If you have any doubts I will rerun it.

Attachments