Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I do as well. We all have our burdens to bear. It was a test run. I surprised myself.. I badly screwed up 2nd run rushing it to get some documentation. here's some screenshots and a bp. Orbiting Mercury with this set up is very doable. The math is fine the operator needs some work. Wound up taking 2 passes at venus because I time warped past my perigee. I only got within spitting distance this time. If you have any doubts I will rerun it.
All you've got to do now is land and take off again and you'll be good.

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
I do as well. We all have our burdens to bear. It was a test run. I surprised myself.. I badly screwed up 2nd run rushing it to get some documentation. here's some screenshots and a bp. Orbiting Mercury with this set up is very doable. The math is fine the operator needs some work. Wound up taking 2 passes at venus because I time warped past my perigee. I only got within spitting distance this time. If you have any doubts I will rerun it.
100 tonns?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
An idea I've seen used to good effect. preposition some fuel. Going for another pass
As long as the pre-positioned fuel and the rocket that delivers it and the lander rocket in its entirety all comes under 100t

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Alright, nice. Once you succeed remember to post the screenshots so you prove us all wrong.
Wow. I'm not out to prove anyone wrong. I can get a little better performance from the rocket. Lighten it little. With extra fuel waiting for me. I've only got 20 tons left to de- orbit, land then return. I haven't even checked the math. I'm looking at 20 tons of fuel probably a little more to get 4 tons from Mercury bl to earth. Apparently that's not possible

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Wow. I'm not out to prove anyone wrong. I can get a little better performance from the rocket. Lighten it little. With extra fuel waiting for me. I've only got 20 tons left to de- orbit, land then return. I haven't even checked the math. I'm looking at 20 tons of fuel probably a little more to get 4 tons from Mercury bl to earth. Apparently that's not possible
Ok. I think you need to make sure that
Refuel unit + Mercury mission < 100 tons.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ok. I think you need to make sure that
Refuel unit + Mercury mission < 100 tons.
Hmmm. So the rocket to get the fuel to Mercury counts against my 100 tons? I need that clarified. Hell never mind.. I'm going to say it does. I'm two launches but thats 2 probes. Double hardware. That may kill it for me

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Hmmm. So the rocket to get the fuel to Mercury counts against my 100 tons? I need that clarified.
I think it does. I mean, if it doesn’t counts, then the challenge becomes extremely easy, cause you can just have 300 tons in orbit around Mercury to refuel your entire ship.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hmmm. So the rocket to get the fuel to Mercury counts against my 100 tons? I need that clarified. Hell never mind.. I'm going to say it does. I'm two launches but thats 2 probes. Double hardware. That may kill it for me
Yeah, that's what 100 tons to fly to mercury and back means...

U need to fly to Mercury and back.

Rules:
Rocket must be 100t and less.
You have 100 tons to get to mercury, land and get back to Earth.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I think it does. I mean, if it doesn’t counts, then the challenge becomes extremely easy, cause you can just have 300 tons in orbit around Mercury to refuel your entire ship.
I'm throwing this one on the back burner. Best rocket design I came up with was 3, 2 and 1 valiants on stages with a kolibri landér. Using 2 burns to get to venus which took years of orbiting. My best was 4.9 tons of fuel remaining to orbit land and return from Mercury. The damn landers keep glitching on me. I'd switch from map view to ship and get nothing but empty space and no control. This happened repeatedly. Beyond frustrated at this point.

Attachments

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, that's what 100 tons to fly to mercury and back means...

You have 100 tons to get to mercury, land and get back to Earth.
The rocket horry. Nothing was mentioned about ancillary supplies or support. That's why I asked for clarification. As you are not the challenge designer I find your opinion not germaine, immaterial and certainly unsolicited. If I ever think you might have something of significance to offer you may trust I will persue that avenue.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
The rocket horry. Nothing was mentioned about ancillary supplies or support. That's why I asked for clarification. As you are not the challenge designer I find your opinion not germaine, immaterial and certainly unsolicited. If I ever think you might have something of significance to offer you may trust I will persue that avenue.
You're right, nothing was mentioned about ancillaries. Because you can't use them, otherwise it would've been specified.
If you're looking for a way out cos you can't achieve the mission we told you was unachievable, just say so.

but I'm curious. Why (in bobby world) would he put a weight limit on a single launch, if you can have multiple launches...? Kinda removes the point of launch limits doesn't it? But I'm just a commonsense guy.

My best was 4.9 tons of fuel remaining to orbit land and return from Mercury.
That's why we said it wasn't do-able. Not because we're dicks and want to keep you down, but because we've been around that block a few times and know what can be done.

f I ever think you might have something of significance to offer you may trust I will persue that avenue
And that is why you fail.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Screenshot_20210503-102225~2.png

Taking the "ancillary support allowed" assumption to its logical conclusion. Does it seem against common sense?

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ever climbed mount Everest or gone on safari? Or even explored unknown regions? You don't use a 747 to carry a cub piper. And really?

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You're right, nothing was mentioned about ancillaries. Because you can't use them, otherwise it would've been specified.
If you're looking for a way out cos you can't achieve the mission we told you was unachievable, just say so.

but I'm curious. Why (in bobby world) would he put a weight limit on a single launch, if you can have multiple launches...? Kinda removes the point of launch limits doesn't it? But I'm just a commonsense guy.

That's why we said it wasn't do-able. Not because we're dicks and want to keep you down, but because we've been around that block a few times and know what can be done. There's a

And that is why you fail.
Exploration is never a failure horry. Learning always has value. If you never fail you are not pushing yourself hard enough. I'm reminded of that star trek scene in which kirk beats the supposedly unbeatable test. Just because I chose to find out for myself does not make me a failure. I take great offense at you saying I'm a failure but the the "great" horry gets to offend and attempt to demean with no consequences. Right Altaïr

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ok, this brickering will stop right now.
The default assumption is that 100 tonnes is the maximum combined mass of all the parts that you use to accomplish this mission. Whether this 100 tonnes is made of one rocket or several is up to you.

This is Loxy 's challenge so he is free to clarify the issue in whatever way he wants, but until then the above assumption will stand.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Just because I chose to find out for myself does not make me a failure. I take great offense at you saying I'm a failure but the the "great" horry gets to offend and attempt to demean with no consequences. Right @Altaïr
He didn't call you a failure Bob.

By the way, if we go that way...
As you are not the challenge designer I find your opinion not germaine, immaterial and certainly unsolicited.
That kind of post is kinda on the line too, Horus has the right to answer. If you ask me to moderate Horus I'll have to moderate you too on this.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ok, this brickering will stop right now.
The default assumption is that 100 tonnes is the maximum combined mass of all the parts that you use to accomplish this mission. Whether this 100 tonnes is made of one rocket or several is up to you.

This is Loxy 's challenge so he is free to clarify the issue in whatever way he wants, but until then the above assumption will stand.
That's the assumption I ran with until otherwise notified. You did not help with the ridiculous rocket comparison Mooncrasher.

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
He didn't call you a failure Bob.

By the way, if we go that way...

That kind of post is kinda on the line too, Horus has the right to answer. If you ask me to moderate Horus I'll have to moderate you too on this.
You fail = failure. Your opinion is not germaine is hardly a fair comparison. Also, seeking alternatives is not "looking for a way out"

Last edited:

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Idk if this thread is getting heated up.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You fail = failure. Your opinion is not germaine is hardly a fair comparison. Also, seeking alternatives is not "looking for a way out"
"You fail" ≠ "You're a failure"
Please stop now, and back on topic.

Until Loxy clarifies this point, it's fair to assume that refueling is forbidden, as it would defeat the purpose of the challenge. 100 tons would be way too much, you wouldn't even need half of that, and it would still be very easy.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Taking the "ancillary support allowed" assumption to its logical conclusion. Does it seem against common sense?

Here's my '100t + ancillaries' Mercury mission.

Screenshot_20210503-112401_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Think it'll be accepted?

I'm reminded of that star trek scene in which kirk beats the supposedly unbeatable test
Kirk cheats on that test, uses an exploit to beat the system and doesn't learn the lesson the Kobiashi Maru is designed to impart. Sometimes you don't always win, but you have to learn how to lose. A lesson he later learns the hard way when his son is killed.
Sorta like here really, but not for the reason you think.

Just because I chose to find out for myself does not make me a failure. I take great offense at you saying I'm a failure but the the "great" horry gets to offend and attempt to demean with no consequences.
You're still not learning bobby. I didn't call you a failure and failing in of itself isn't a problem. It's a great teacher if used correctly. Your problem isn't that you fail, your problem is you are too bullheaded to learn the lesson and would rather run offended head first into a wall just to prove a point.
The reason why Altaïr hasn't warned me is because I didn't call you a failure. I said you continue to fail because you refuse to heed good advice.

Please stop now, and back on topic.

Until Loxy clarifies this point, it's fair to assume that refueling is forbidden, as it would defeat the purpose of the challenge. 100 tons would be way too much, you wouldn't even need half of that, and it would still be very easy.
Personally, I think he'll have to expand this one to see it completed. By (funnily enough) allowing orbital refuel or a much larger launch vehicle. Or Ions.

Or show us how he managed it 3 times already.

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
Here's my '100t + ancillaries' Mercury mission.

View attachment 62416

Think it'll be accepted?

Kirk cheats on that test, uses an exploit to beat the system and doesn't learn the lesson the Kobiashi Maru is designed to impart. Sometimes you don't always win, but you have to learn how to lose. A lesson he later learns the hard way when his son is killed.
Sorta like here really, but not for the reason you think.

You're still not learning bobby. I didn't call you a failure and failing in of itself isn't a problem. It's a great teacher if used correctly. Your problem isn't that you fail, your problem is you are too bullheaded to learn the lesson and would rather run offended head first into a wall just to prove a point.
The reason why Altaïr hasn't warned me is because I didn't call you a failure. I said you continue to fail because you refuse to heed good advice.

Personally, I think he'll have to expand this one to see it completed. By (funnily enough) allowing orbital refuel or a much larger launch vehicle. Or Ions.

Or show us how he managed it 3 times already.
How did u make big bp place?