Miracle Ganymede "Landing"

dezway

Registered
I was trying to land on Ganymede but I realized that my engines weren't powerful enough to slow me down in time so I just embraced that my crew was doomed.

Then this happened.

Screenshot_2019-01-01-14-16-19.png

I hit Ganymede, bounced off, then I pointed my remaining fuel part towards a hill at the perfect angle and this was the only thing that survived.

If we assume that the crew can survive such a hard landing at like 280m/s then they survived.

T

TtTOtW

Dude you know just how to torture your crew...

Wanna be in management?

Lolol! Jk.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
It'll be quite a task to rescue a command pod with no docking port on it. Personally, whenever I do a manned mission I always have a docking port on my capsule just in case something doesn't go to plan.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Survival chances from landing G forces?
Actually the deceleration depends on how much of the shock the structure absorbs, so it's not possible to give a general answer. Unfortunately, space ships are not really designed to absorb kinetic energy from an impact like a car. Anyway, at such a speed, there's virtually 0 chance, this is a similar situation to an airplane crash.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I was trying to land on Ganymede but I realized that my engines weren't powerful enough to slow me down in time so I just embraced that my crew was doomed.

Then this happened.

View attachment 11241

I hit Ganymede, bounced off, then I pointed my remaining fuel part towards a hill at the perfect angle and this was the only thing that survived.

If we assume that the crew can survive such a hard landing at like 280m/s then they survived.
Yeah, the gravity on jovian moons and especially Ganymede is insane. It's even greater than on Mars and Mercury o_O
If that can help, I've made a delta-V map a while ago, it also tells you how strong the gravity is on each body:
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/delta-v-map-for-sfs-1-4.1874/#post-31551

dezway

Registered
depends on impact velocity, the higher the velocity, the higher the deceleration will be, the higher the g-forces.

Any crash velocity greater than 282 m/s will result in a 0 percent survival chance.
the velocity was actually 380 m/s and I got it wrong

so yeah they like 1.35x dead