My Favorite Past Projects

Here was another good one, coming from 8bitCosmonaut.

View attachment 61065
If you think my desire for realism is a bit much, then clearly you've never dealt with Cosmo's Standards. Granted, we're both engineering students, so that may be part of it.
Honestly, I'd kinda just forgotten about what Le Verrier was since I wasn't as involved in the forum at that point.
This is Le Verrier. Absolutely dwarves Constellation.

12 men crew to Neptune and back. If you want the full detail you could look up the "Mission Le Verrier" thread.

Screenshot_20200624_172127_com.StefMorojna.SpaceflightSimulator.jpg

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
The initial Mission created by Horus Lupercal, and Cosmo's execution of the mission.
I initially created this for Cosmo. Then figured, lets open it up to everyone.

And since its my first challenge, I figured it may as well be a doozy and create a real mission.

The attached pdf is an actual summary published on exploration of Neptune and Triton, what is known, what questions could be answered with a modern day look (no one has been that way since Voyager shot past in the late 80s) and what equipment such an expedition would require.

Your mission is to conduct this exploration of Neptune and Triton, answering as many of these questions as possible.

• Determine the existence and depth of an ocean on Triton, and characterize its cryovolcanism
• Characterize Triton’s surface chemistry
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Triton’s atmosphere
• Better characterize the range of ages of Triton’s surface units
• Determine the size of Neptune’s core
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Neptune’s atmosphere
• Determine how energy and particles flow throughout Neptune’s complex magnetosphere
• Constrain the structure of Neptune’s ring arcs and properties of its irregular satellites

The Rules:
  • You may use multiple launches, orbital assembly/re-fuelling. Zero-g pad assembly is also allowed, as is .bp edited craft.
  • Remember, cheats are for sissys. And you don't want to be a sissy, do you? Also, make sure drag is on at take-off. Don't try bluffing, it takes me 10 minutes to check your vehicle out.
  • Mission may be manned or unmanned. If you go manned, then the crew must return to Earth. If it is unmanned, then Ground Control must have a method of remotely controlling the craft(s) from Earth using satellite communications .
  • Return/re-useability isn't mandatory, however the data collected must come back, either through long range communications or return delivery of a data core.
  • Sensors used (magnetometers, spectrometers, imaging equipment) must be represented on craft (rovers/landers/probes) used for purpose. Also, these craft either need to have communications to a mother unit for broadcast back to Earth, or must be recoverable from location for physical data transfer.
Slide 1

Additional Info:
One more feature the laboratory module on Poseidon has is a state-of-the-art workshop equipped with the latest additive manufacturing machines, chemical synthesis booth and electronics assembly bench, allowing the crew to fabricate nearly any spare part they require for ship repair.

This comes in convenience with an EVA tube located on the same module which can support up to 2 EVA operators at once, this feature allows the crew to quickly fabricate the part and conveniently hand it to a pair of suited up engineers.

Since the ship is almost a kilometer long, the EVA crew will not be crawling their way all across, they will have a motorized puller that will pull the astronauts to any length of the ship they require to get a repair or inspection job done.

Slide 2

Slide 3

Slide 4

NOTE: These mission plan slides are cut due to the word limit, please go to its link to view the full thing.

P.S. Please refrain from commenting until the report is fully complete, in order to prevent the difficulty of viewing, thanks.

The following posts will be documenting the entire mission.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I honestly just didn't follow this mission, but it's definitely worthy of mention.