(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Well, yeah.

You don't even need the navigation computer. Put your station into LEO and burn prograde until your orbital path heads out of the SOI.
Time warp until your station is outside Earth SOI and it should say 'you have entered the Suns SOI'. You are now in Heliocentric orbit.
Easy as pie!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
but possible to put a space station around sun with new navigational in 1.5???
Unless you mean in Low Solar Orbit it's possible yes :)
Problem is, performing a rendez-vous in solar orbit is much harder than around a planet, because the speeds and distances involved are higher by several order of magnitudes. It's still possible, but hard, and quite expensive in terms of fuel.
All in all, you can send your station in solar orbit, but the difficulty to reach it kinda makes it useless after that :rolleyes:

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Problem is, performing a rendez-vous in solar orbit is much harder than around a planet, because the speeds and distances involved are higher by several order of magnitudes. It's still possible, but hard, and quite expensive in terms of fuel.
All in all, you can send your station in solar orbit, but the difficulty to reach it kinda makes it useless after that :rolleyes:
Fast, Fuel efficient, Easy.
Pick any two when rendezvous-ing in solar orbit.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
how about the spaces between planets?? maybe a stoppin area for somethin idk....

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Unless you mean in Low Solar Orbit it's possible yes
Ha! Don't say that so loudly. People will get ideas

how about the spaces between planets?? maybe a stoppin area for somethin idk....
Same rules apply. The planets are in heliocentric orbits, and everything in the spaces between planets will also be in heliocentric orbit and thus the orbital velocities are really high, the fuel required to get to them is a lot higher than would be required to dock at a station inside a nearby planets SOI

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Fast, Fuel efficient, Easy.
Pick any two when rendezvous-ing in solar orbit.
If I could pick at least one I would be already happy o_O

Same rules apply. The planets are in heliocentric orbits, and everything in the spaces between planets will also be in heliocentric orbit and thus the orbital velocities are really high, the fuel required to get to them is a lot higher than would be required to dock at a station inside a nearby planets SOI
Yes, that, and there's also the Oberth effect: a burn performed while being close to a planet will be more efficient. For a transfer from Earth to Mars for example, you benefit from the Oberth effect from Earth during your injection burn, and from the Oberth effect from Mars during your insertion burn, which makes the transfer's cost still acceptable. Paradoxically, if you started in solar orbit at Earth level and wanted to burn to Mars, it would be more expensive, despite the fact that you don't have to escape the Earth's gravity well first.

If you want to get to a space station in solar orbit, you don't get any Oberth effect from the station itself. The burn to synchronize your orbit and the one to leave the station will be very expensive. Really, it wouldn't be a very good idea to try to stop at mid-course.

As Horus said, it's much more practical to dock to a station that orbits a planet.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Periapsis: Just above Sun's atmosphere
Apoapsis: A little lower than Mercury.
Well, hope you got enough snacks for the trip.

Oh, and an absolute shit ton of fuel.

T

TtTOtW

Put side fins on the flat sections next to your interstage. It will notably ease your flight.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
this is gettin huge now :D :D :D

Berg

Registered
I know this has nothing to do with the space station, but I'm too lazy to create a new topic
Screenshot_20200807-132349_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20200807-132400_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

this is my satellite for mars