Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hello guys!

SFS 1.5 has finally arrived, and with the new version, came a new format of planet file.

SFS 1.5 also brings a new world system that allows you to have several stellar systems, with separated saves. If you updated from 1.4, the game automatically created a world with all your data.

If you had some custom planets from version 1.4, SFS 1.5 has a legacy conversion system that still allows it to read them.

However
If you tried to create a new world, you may have noticed that the solar system scale has been increased. Distances from planets to the Sun used to be 2% of their value in real life, but this value has been increased to 5% (which is the rate that also applies to planets' size).

In one word, all distances have been multiplied by 2.5!

It will be fine if you play with the solar system inherited from the previous version, as the game copied the whole solar system, including planets from stock game, and generated a world for it.

However, if you create a new world and want to add your planets, you will have to multiply their orbit radius by 2.5.

It could be a good idea that each modder proposes an updated version of their planet pack. I leave that choice to everyone though, as it may not be viable for some very large packs like the ACSS.

Regarding planet editing under 1.5

Here is how to generate your own solar system. The simplest way is to first duplicate the existing solar system.

When started, the game automatically generates an example of solar system that you will find in your data files:
Screenshot_20200605-095025_Total Commander.jpg

Just copy the whole Example folder, and rename it after your system's name:
Screenshot_20200605-095516_Total Commander.jpg

The import_Settings.txt file allows you to choose wether or not you want to rely on stock game data. Here is its content by default:
Screenshot_20200605-095619_QuickEdit+.jpg
In particular, the flag "includeDefaultPlanets" allows you to use the default solar system as a basis. This is interesting if you don't intend to modify stock planets. If you set it to true, you'll also have to remove all the planets contained in folder Planet Data, otherwise the game would consider that each planet is present twice.

The Launch_Pad_Position.txt file allows you to move the launchpad wherever you like, including on another planet:
Screenshot_20200605-100219_QuickEdit+.jpg

Note that thanks to this, some custom stellar systems have no need anymore to have an Earth planet because the launch pad wouldn't spawn otherwise.

And finally, the planet files themselves are included in the Planet Data folder. Their format has changed, but it is actually simpler than before, so if you used to create custom planets under 1.4, you probably won't be disturbed.

However, there's a typo in the planet files provided by the game! As is they won't work. The problem is here, at the very beginning of each file:
Screenshot_20200605-100944_QuickEdit+.jpg
Simply remove the quotation marks around "1.5", and it's all good.
The dev team apologizes for this inconvenience. They are aware about it, and will fix it with the next version.

When you've finished, your new stellar system will be available when you choose to create a new world:
Screenshot_20200605-101445_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Have fun, and before we get some official tutorials, don't hesitate to share your tips and discoveries with other modders in this thread.

Last edited:

mkmkmk

Registered
Hello guys!

SFS 1.5 has finally arrived, and with the new version, came a new format of planet file.

SFS 1.5 also brings a new world system that allows you to have several stellar systems, with separated saves. If you updated from 1.4, the game automatically created a world with all your data.

If you had some custom planets from version 1.4, SFS 1.5 has a legacy conversion system that still allows it to read them.

However
If you tried to create a new world, you may have noticed that the solar system scale has been increased. Distances from planets to the Sun used to be 2% of their value in real life, but this value has been increased to 5% (which is the rate that also applies to planets' size).

In one word, all distances have been multiplied by 2.5!

It will be fine if you play with the solar system inherited from the previous version, as the game copied the whole solar system, including planets from stock game, and generated a world for it.

However, if you create a new world and want to add your planets, you will have to multiply their orbit radius by 2.5.

It could be a good idea that each modder proposes an updated version of their planet pack. I leave that choice to everyone though, as it may not be viable for some very large packs like the ACSS.

Regarding planet editing under 1.5

Here is how to generate your own solar system. The simplest way is to first duplicate the existing solar system.

When started, the game automatically generates an example of solar system that you will find in your data files:
View attachment 38760

Just copy the whole Example folder, and rename it after your system's name:
View attachment 38761

The import_Settings.txt file allows you to choose wether or not you want to rely on stock game data. Here is its content by default:
View attachment 38762
In particular, the flag "includeDefaultPlanets" allows you to use the default solar system as a basis. This is interesting if you don't intend to modify stock planets. If you set it to true, you'll also have to remove all the planets contained in folder Planet Data, otherwise the game would consider that each planet is present twice.

The Launch_Pad_Position.txt file allows you to move the launchpad wherever you like, including on another planet:
View attachment 38763

Note that thanks to this, some custom stellar systems have no need anymore to have an Earth planet because the launch pad wouldn't spawn otherwise.

And finally, the planet files themselves are included in the Planet Data folder. Their format has changed, but it is actually simpler than before, so if you used to create custom planets under 1.4, you probably won't be disturbed.

However, there's a typo in the planet files provided by the game! As is they won't work. The problem is here, at the very beginning of each file:
View attachment 38764
Simply remove the quotation marks around "1.5", and it's all good.
The dev team apologizes for this inconvenience. They are aware about it, and will fix it with the next version.

When you've finished, your new stellar system will be available when you choose to create a new world:
View attachment 38765

Have fun, and before we get some official tutorials, don't hesitate to share your tips and discoveries with other modders in this thread.
when I am doing this I can't find custom solar system folder there is custom translation folder please help me

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
when I am doing this I can't find custom solar system folder there is custom translation folder please help me
Normally the folder is located there at the same level as the custom translations folder:
Screenshot_20200605-122757_Total Commander.jpg

It's strange that you don't have it. Maybe try starting the game to make it create the desired folders, but if it doesn't work I have no idea...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Also, only problem about the launchpad is that you'll have to place it on the "north" of each planet. The launchpad can't be rotated and it won't be placed horizontally in any other place:
Screenshot_20200609-074435_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Normally the folder is located there at the same level as the custom translations folder:
View attachment 38775

It's strange that you don't have it. Maybe try starting the game to make it create the desired folders, but if it doesn't work I have no idea...
Yeah, I have the same problem as mkmkmk, the folder doesn't show up.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Ok, maybe I said something bad because english is not my first language, idk. But... why does an expert replies to a noob like that? I just wanted to know because I couldn't find anything else on youtube, discord, reddit or this forum.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ok, maybe I said something bad because english is not my first language, idk. But... why does an expert replies to a noob like that? I just wanted to know because I couldn't find anything else on youtube, discord, reddit or this forum.
Nah man, your written English is fine. You missed the joke though.

If anyone knew the answer to the problem, the solution would've been put up here already...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yeah, I have the same problem as mkmkmk, the folder doesn't show up.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Don't worry about Horus' answer, he likes to be sarcastic. You're welcome on the forum of course :)

Regarding your problem, do you have the planet expansion on your SFS game? This can't be done with the free version.

Hi all, I haven't edited worlds before but I'm giving it a try. Your instructions are clear, but I'm running into a permissions error. See below. The app I'm using is "Text Editor" as seen here, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the app. I just downloaded it to edit these files.

1592658330896.png

T

TtTOtW

Hi all, I haven't edited worlds before but I'm giving it a try. Your instructions are clear, but I'm running into a permissions error. See below. The app I'm using is "Text Editor" as seen here, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the app. I just downloaded it to edit these files.

View attachment 40008
That is definitely a permission problem. Perhaps try "save as" in another location, then copy to original location and overwrite.

That is definitely a permission problem. Perhaps try "save as" in another location, then copy to original location and overwrite.
That let me edit the file, but the world isn't loading. It says I don't have the import settings file, but I know it does have it. I also didn't remove all of the quotations around "1.5" for all the planets, just the few I need for my current... project.

T

TtTOtW

I recommend Total Commander for planet and blueprint files, and Ghost Commander for quicksave files and general file arrangement. Total Commander has a 2MB file editing limit, and quicksaves generally exceed that. Ghost Commander has no such limit. It is brilliant for File system browse/copy/whatever, including side by side file system display. But Total Commander has the better file editing interface, like find and replace, which Ghost Commander lacks.

T

TtTOtW

That let me edit the file, but the world isn't loading. It says I don't have the import settings file, but I know it does have it. I also didn't remove all of the quotations around "1.5" for all the planets, just the few I need for my current... project.
Maybe remove those with "s to a different folder.

Maybe remove those with "s to a different folder.
I did a silly.

I was opening the old world which had been deleted instead of making a new world that used the new files I had just changed. It works!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I havent removed the quotation marks and i have 3 planet packs and they work perfectly
Ah, that bug has been fixed yes. Thanks for reporting this, I'll update the post.

T

The Dark in the Light

Alright, I've decided to change the textures of the stock system just to make it look better (textures are from ACSS, credits to Gurren Lagann) and I'm a tad confused.
Screenshot_20200731-182920_DroidEdit Free.jpg

So for the planet texture, would I put "NewEarth" or "NewEarth.png"?