Copycat
Registered
to to test a reusable rocket i do it in stages

stage 1: 100m flight no cheats
stage 2 8000m flight with cheats
stage 3: suborbital flight using no cheats
stage 4: orbital flight with cheats
stage 5: first proper flight with out cheats
Bloody hell. Get paid by the hour do you?

Stage 2 to 4 are pointless.
What do you learn at 8000m with cheats on? That it'll reach 8000m with infinite fuel. And that's about it.
Stage 3. Sub orbital flight without cheats. Why? Why restrain it? It'll either make orbit, or it won't.
Stage 4. What do you learn with cheats on, that it'll make orbit? That you'll have enough fuel to land? How much fuel you need to stage with to land safely?
None of the above. Because you've got infinite fuel on.

Here is how you test a rocket. Any rocket.

Stage 1. Spawn, see if anything falls off.
If yes, back to VAB and re-design.
If no
Stage 2. cheats off, fly it to orbit, see how it works.
Does it work? Yes. Mission complete.
No, back to VAB and re-design.

Re-start at stage one and repeat until mission success.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Bloody hell. Get paid by the hour do you?

Stage 2 to 4 are pointless.
What do you learn at 8000m with cheats on? That it'll reach 8000m with infinite fuel. And that's about it.
Stage 3. Sub orbital flight without cheats. Why? Why restrain it? It'll either make orbit, or it won't.
Stage 4. What do you learn with cheats on, that it'll make orbit? That you'll have enough fuel to land? How much fuel you need to stage with to land safely?
None of the above. Because you've got infinite fuel on.

Here is how you test a rocket. Any rocket.

Stage 1. Spawn, see if anything falls off.
If yes, back to VAB and re-design.
If no
Stage 2. cheats off, fly it to orbit, see how it works.
Does it work? Yes. Mission complete.
No, back to VAB and re-design.

Re-start at stage one and repeat until mission success.
I might aswell do this then thanks for advice

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I might aswell do this then thanks for advice
Well you can do what you like, it's your battery. But it's no wonder things take ages if you're going the NASA testing timetable route.

I didn't test fly Komodo to see if the staging worked before going for orbit. Engines on and up she went.

At most, I'll ground test the separation from my launch tower, but everytime a rocket of mine leaves the ground, it's going until the fuel runs dry. But everything is done 'live', otherwise it's pointless.

Why not...? Not like he's paying for the fuel or has to sweet talk congress for permission.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Well you can do what you like, it's your battery. But it's no wonder things take ages if you're going the NASA testing timetable route.

I didn't test fly Komodo to see if the staging worked before going for orbit. Engines on and up she went.

At most, I'll ground test the separation from my launch tower, but everytime a rocket of mine leaves the ground, it's going until the fuel runs dry. But everything is done 'live', otherwise it's pointless.

Why not...? Not like he's paying for the fuel or has to sweet talk congress for permission.
All he wants to do is make a group project and interact with others

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well it's qks sharing obviously
What's the payload to orbit capability of a quicksave file share? Can you dock quicksaves?

Of course they're using quicksave sharing, I wasn't expecting them to use telepathy. I meant the mission itself.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
What's the payload to orbit capability of a quicksave file share? Can you dock quicksaves?

Of course they're using quicksave sharing, I wasn't expecting them to use telepathy. I meant the mission itself.
Ah..

It's probably like a stage mission
First you do tests then build a Space station then you build Landers for Mars,
I think that is how they are doing it.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ah..

It's probably like a stage mission
First you do tests then build a Space station then you build Landers for Mars,
I think that is how they are doing it.
There we go, JSP has worked it all out. May as well not bother now, cos he's spoiled the entire film.

Forgetting the little things like launch vehicle design, space station module design, if they're going to do Earth or Mars rendezvous for the station assembly, if the landers are going to go with the station or be launched and landed directly from Earth.
And many, many, many other aspects of the project just glossed over.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
There we go, JSP has worked it all out. May as well not bother now, cos he's spoiled the entire film.

Forgetting the little things like launch vehicle design, space station module design, if they're going to do Earth or Mars rendezvous for the station assembly, if the landers are going to go with the station or be launched and landed directly from Earth.
And many, many, many other aspects of the project just glossed over.
They way I did my mars mission is
1. Orbiter
2. Impactor
3. Lander
4. Rover
5. uncrewed test in LEO
6. Crewed test in LEO
7. Crewed test in LMO
8. Landing on mars
9. Construction of space station.
I do it like that to know wether I should continue with my colony or not

USAA

Man on the Moon
Registered

Yeah, if we had too, I don't think we'd be here.