Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I found this tab in forum profile settings:
Will i get the ability to edit my messages after donate?
Didn't see that message... It was possible long ago, I even made a donation myself, but it's not possible anymore. I don't really know why, but Jordi was told anyway.

Recently i read a nice article by Altaїr here:

Voyager quest: tutorial

From that article i undestood how much more i can improve in my main big launcher. And here is the results of those improvements:

I'm glad you appreciate. Nice improvement, that's a performance in realistic :)

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Please suggest with which mod for windows version of the game i can change/edit engine's ISP parameter. To make new engines with different ISP.

I want to make good high-quality playable version of the game for android. Since android version of the game doesn't have any settings for game difficulty and mandatory runs only at Easy(Normal) difficulty i concocted the following solution:

1. We are putting TSADSS game world in Android folder for custom game worlds. TSADSS already substitutes Normal level with Realistic level and have good full/complete Solar system too.

2. We are making Blueprint with edited engines with new ISP, which will be equal to Realistic level of the game. Since Android will run TSADSS as Normal - there will be no ISP bonus and it makes very poor gameplay - less than 1% of starting launcher mass can be delivered to LEO as payload - if ion engines are not used. That is completely botched game, especially when atmosphere is much more dense.

3. We add this blueprint to android game folder. And now any new rocket in Android version can be made from copies of those modified engines from that blueprint. Now it will be a good, high-quality game. That extra weight of fuel tanks or engines themselves has very little importance in comparison to ISP, thus it can be left as it is. But ideally, it would be nice, if that mod for windows version of the game also could edit tank's weights too.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That's something many people would like to do, but modding on Android is not possible sadly.

You can mod for Steam however, and to make new engines you have to make custom parts with the modding toolkit. Apart from that it's (most likely) possible to apply a multiplicator to engines ISP, but for Android I have no solution.

That's why I made IRIS, I basically changed the solar system scale so that I end up with the desired difficulty, but altering parts was not, and still isn't possible.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I don't seek mod for android. I don't plan to use any mods for android.

So you are saying, that blueprint with custom parts will simply not work under android version of the game?

Please give me the link to correct mod for windows version. What do i need to download to be able to make such new custom parts in windows version? For example, after searching by your keywords i found this link:

GitHub - Stef-Moroyna/Spaceflight-Simulator--ModdingToolkit

When i open it, i see this:
1675842891190.png

I can't find any Releases, which i can run. How to use this mod? Is there any instruction?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
And i understand now the idea about IRIS. It requires approximately 2 times less ΔV everywhere in the game, than Realistic level requires, but since there is no ISP bonus, the rocket from Realistic game will make 1.5 less ΔV, and the difference between 1.5 and 2 will cover/compensate for fuel tanks and engine's weight difference. While making IRIS with 3:1 scale of Solar system gives only times 1.732 drop of ΔV requirements and i guess you considered, that difference between 1.5 and 1.732 is not enough to comfortably cover up for everything, and thus it will make the game unnecessary too hard for average players. While 4:1 nicely solves all problems in a very convenient way, making all gameplay close to Realistic anyway.

That was very clever solution of your.

A lot of time passed since then. It is so hard to believe that nothing more can be done today. That would be extremely sad.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I don't seek mod for android. I don't plan to use any mods for android.

So you are saying, that blueprint with custom parts will simply not work under android version of the game?
Exactly, that won't work. Custom parts are defined through assets that have to be packaged through Unity, and the game has to load them. The mobile versions can't load custom assets though, so if you tried to load a blueprint that includes a custom part it would ignore it (and you would probably have an error by the way, but I never tried).

Please give me the link to correct mod for windows version. What do i need to download to be able to make such new custom parts in windows version? For example, after searching by your keywords i found this link:

GitHub - Stef-Moroyna/Spaceflight-Simulator--ModdingToolkit

When i open it, i see this:
I can't find any Releases, which i can run. How to use this mod? Is there any instruction?
This is exactly what you need, but it's not a mod. It's a toolkit that contains a project with the game assets. It has to be opened with Unity, the software used to make the game, that's how the modders make new engines. But it's a long way to go, you'll have to spend some time on it. And it will only work on Steam.

That was very clever solution of your.
That was the idea indeed, adjust the scale so that the difficulty is what I expect from realistic.

A lot of time passed since then. It is so hard to believe that nothing more can be done today. That would be extremely sad.
It's sad indeed, many of us would have liked to be able to do more. We have to do with what we have :confused:

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Then i will suggest to start new IRIS world to all my friends, who wish to play at android tablets, since i can't imagine any better way of playing android version of this game. Though it is very sad, that they will not see real distances and real speeds in game this way. But it is clearly better than been able to bring only 0.5%-1% of launcher mass to orbit in any Realistic world without ISP bonus.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Altaïr, please give an advice.

In that custom word (link) i was testing the strategy of how to get from Callisto back to Earth with as little fuel usage as possible. It is saved there in different quicksaves step by step. I found such solution so far:

1. I accelerate from Callistos's orbit backward to lower my periapsis back to Ganymede level and even lower.
2. I get one accelerating gravity assist from Ganymede, which puts my apoapsis way above Callisto's level.
3. I get 2-3 accelerating gravity assists from Callisto to get an orbit with my periapsis little below Callisto's level and my apoapsis is near Jupiter's end of SOI.
4. At apoapsis at the brink of Jupiter's SOI i burn retrograde to get very low periapsis at the brink of Jupiter's atmosphere.
5. At periapsis near Jupiter's atmosphere i burn prograde to get maximum acceleration to get my escape trajectory backward in line with Jupiter's orbit around the sun, and burn enough to lower my perihelion to meet with Earth.

Can this strategy be improved somehow?

I want to make video where i land on all 6 Jupiter's moons and get back home at Realistic level, but totally without ion engines this time. And i want to use only two launches from Earth, connecting them in LEO and going to Jupiter from there. Tests show that i lack only little amount of fuel and if i can optimize things a little it might be doable. It can be done easily with 3 launches connected in LEO of course, with a lot of extra fuel to spare, but that would not be that interesting, as only two launches. :)

My strategy for travelling between Jupiter's moons seems good now, i don't see losses of fuel there, but i didn't invent any good strategy for cheap return to Earth.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
For example, returning to Earth from Io or from Thebe looks the same good - i can collect a lot of GA for free to raise my apoapsis to highest possible and from there i can make the same №4 and №5 as above. But making first GA will still require some burning first.

Will visiting moons from Callisto back to Thebe be a better sequence than visiting moons from Thebe to Calliso? That i can't figure out.

And if you know some entirely different way to get to Earth - then maybe this way will have it's preference in sequence automatically.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I made enough optimizations and i am ready to record the video. But there is new problem now.

I didn't think through one detail: the Thebe moon is so light on mass, that it would require 100-200 encounters with it to collect enough speed for free with GA, in order to reach Thebe without using much fuel. The starting velocity difference with Thebe 6k+.

Thus i have two options:

1. I can record a video where i land on 4 Jupiter's moons in default game world with one flight at Realistic level and without ion engines. And this flight starts with 2 launches from Earth, connecting both in LEO.

2. I can record a video where i land on 6 Jupiter's moons in custom game world with one flight at Realistic level and without ion engines. But it will take 3 launches from Earth, connecting 3 ships in LEO before departure.

That third launch will be purely an additional fuel tank to actually burn it all to reach Thebe fast and easily. Then from Thebe it will be the same mission as №1, collecting +Amalthea landing en route, since it is easy one, it is very close to Thebe and has very little mass.

What video would be more interesting for SFS community? What would be more impressive?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
First time noticed only now - why does Callisto have a wider SOI radius on the game map, than Ganymede has?

I looked in data files - Ganymede have more radius and more gravity at the same time. Then why is his SOI circle on the map smaller, than Callisto's circle?

SOI multipliers for both of them are set to 1.25 value in default game world.

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
First time noticed only now - why does Callisto have a wider SOI radius on the game map, than Ganymede has?

I looked in data files - Ganymede have more radius and more gravity at the same time. Then why is his SOI circle on the map smaller, than Callisto's circle?

SOI multipliers for both of them are set to 1.25 value in default game world.
Probably because Ganymede is closer to Jupiter

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Io has big SOI too, while it is much closer to Jupiter. Io's SOI almost as big as Ganymede's SOI. The difference barely covers their difference in masses, so if Jupiter's proximity makes any change to SOI - it is too small to notice, it is clearly not enough to explain Callisto's SOI size.