Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Dear rocketeers,

If you are here, it's probably that you're attempting to get team Frontier, and for this you need to terminate the mighty Voyager quest. Maybe you already tried it and saw it was harder than it looked at first. The purpose of this thread is to give some hints about how to design an efficient launcher, and how to fly it.

That first part will be dedicated to the rocket design, the second one will be dedicated to the flight technique, and the third one will consist in a collection of tips and tricks. Finally, I'll show a demonstration, with a video so that you can see in detail how to crack that challenge.

So let's start with the...

Rocket design

This part will consist into 3 points.

Understanding the role of each engine

Basically there are two kinds of engines in SFS:
  • Powerful engines (Hawk/Titan): those engines are suited for a first stage, when the launcher has to fight gravity. They provide a good thrust, but they are heavy and consume a lot of fuel.
  • Efficient engines (Valiant/Frontier): those engines are more durable and are well suited for suborbital flight and space flight, when thrust isn't a concern. They are best suited on a second and third stage.
For those who don't really understand what we mean by "efficient", here is a good way to figure it out.
First, build this:
Screenshot_20211226-192610_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then click launch and fire all engines. But first, try to figure out by yourself what would happen. A hawk has 3 times as much thrust as a Valiant. So both sides have the same thrust and work against eachother, so this thing should go nowhere. Actually the answer is more subtle, here is what happens:
20211226_192917.jpg
As stated, neither side is more powerful than the other one, but if you look at the fuel gauges, you'll see that the Valiant side consumes less fuel. That's what "efficient" means. An efficient engine gives more impulse from the same quantity of fuel. That's why those engines are actually the best. To know how efficient is an engine, you have to look at its specific impulse. The higher it is, the better.

The importance of staging

Now let's see why it's important to have several stages on your rocket. Let's take an example, let's say we want to send to orbit a small satellite, with this rocket:
Screenshot_20211226-205334_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20211226-205316_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
It has just enough fuel for the job, but it's simple and it works, so why try harder? Actually the fact that it has a single stage is a huge drawback. It doesn't look at first, but the problem is that as the fuel is consumed, the tanks that holded that fuel are now empty, meaning that they are now dead weight. And in this case those are 6 tons, which is not negligible. Splitting the rocket into 2 stages allows to drop a good part of this dead weight mid-flight, and also allows to switch to an efficient engine (see previous part).

And if I try with this rocket:
Screenshot_20211226-210632_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20211226-210607_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I get the same result. But it weighs 12.6 tons less.

Generally speaking, dedicating 2 stages to reach orbit is the best compromise. And from there, in the case of the Voyager quest, you'll need another stage to send the probe to the stars. So overall, you'll need a 3 stages rocket for this challenge. This is without a doubt the optimal value. Note that if you choose to use a pair of boosters, the boosters themselves may count as a stage, so a 2 stage boosted rocket is fine.

Don't neglect the fairings!

As you have to save as much weight as possible, you may be tempted not to use fairings... But it's a huge mistake! Unless you play sfs 1.4, fairings are not decorative. The game takes aerodynamic into account.

Your payload is very draggy. Overall, the fairings weigh approximately 1 ton, but it will make your rocket way more aerodynamic. They will really allow you to save some precious fuel! Oh, and don't forget that you can discard them once you're in space. :)

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Let's now continue with the...

Flight technique

First point is...

How to reach orbit efficiently?

Obviously, that will be your first task. If you thought about launching directly towards the stars, this is a mistake. Once in orbit, your ship will be relieved from gravity. But if you burn straight up, you'll fight gravity until the end.

So you have to reach orbit first, and for this you have to provide approximately 1670 m/s of horizontal velocity. That's why you have to start building your horizontal velocity soon enough.

Here is a launcher I'll use in an example:
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-29-15-11-05.jpg
That's a quite balanced launcher. When I launch it, this is what the trajectory should look like once the first stage is depleted:
20211229_153305.jpg
If your trajectory usually looks like the one on the left, you should practice to get it closer to the one on the right. You'll really save a lot of fuel that way.

Dumping your first stage at around 15-20 kilometers of altitude is usually a good compromise, at that point, a smaller (and more efficient) engine will be enough to finish the job.

From the situation on the right, here is how I reach orbit then:
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-29-15-23-22.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-29-15-23-55.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-29-15-24-18.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-29-15-24-46.jpg

What about drag?!

You're right, drag must be taken into account. But you should not overestimate it! For example, the trajectory I showed labelled as "wrong" above looks like a good way to get rid of drag before building your orbital velocity. But atmospheric density decreases very fast with altitude, this is how it varies:
fr.plot.png

It's already very low at the 10 km mark, and becomes practically inexistent beyond 20 km. Flying at high speed in the high atmosphere has barely any noticeable consequences.

However, it's still important to take it into account between 2 and 10 kilometers, with the maximum aerodynamic pressure usually happpening around 3-4 km. In this zone, it's important to keep your launcher aligned with the velocity arrow as much as possible:
20211229_165307.jpg

If you do this and if your launcher is aerodynamically shaped, you won't get much losses from drag. Again, don't overestimate drag, gravity is still your biggest opponent!

To infinity and beyond!

Now that you reached orbit, you are finally ready to launch your Voyager probe out of the Solar system! Just burn all your remaining fuel, and hope for the best, sounds simple right? Well, at least pay attention to a few details.

First, always burn perfectly prograde, with the ship oriented along the velocity arrow:
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-29-17-27-51.jpg
That's the most efficient way to modify your trajectory. Firing sidewards will just be a waste of fuel.

And second point, when the probe is on an escape trajectory from Earth, that trajectory should be oriented in the same direction as Earth's trajectory:
20211229_172252.jpg
This will be the most efficient trajectory you can get. And with those 2 examples, if we look at a higher scale...
20211229_172402.jpg
The first probe made it, the second is way off!

The main problem is that when you start burning, it's hard to anticipate what your exit trajectory will be... Here your best bet is the quicksave. Save your game, and make your burn. If it wasn't good, you can restart from exactly the same position as before and adjust your trajectory.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Tips and tricks

Now let's see a few useful things to optimize your launcher.

Delta-V requirements

For this challenge, once your ship is in Low Earth orbit, you need 1856 m/s of delta-V to reach your goal. Note that in practice it will be a bit more. If you don't know how to translate this in terms of fuel, let me help you.
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-30-23-15-14.jpg
This stage has a capacity of 1992 m/s, which means it's well suited for the job. It has 36.25 tons of fuel tank, and a single Valiant.

Of course, more fuel means more delta-V, and more engines means... less delta-V! Yes you read it correctly. Adding a second engine also means you make the stage heavier, which reduces its final performance. Actually, it only allows you to burn the fuel twice as fast.

A stage like this one is a good basis. You can make it shorter but then you'll have to reach orbit with some fuel remaining in your second stage to compensate. Or you can make it bigger and allow yourself to leave it on a suborbital trajectory and use its extra-capacity to reach orbit by its own means.

Enough engines... but not too much!

Same reasoning as above.
Especially on the launchpad, it's interesting to have a punchy rocket at lift-off. A thrust-to-weight ratio between 1.4 and 1.8 is well adapted for this challenge, but too much is not good! Especially on this challenge, engines are heavy, and because of the weight limit more engines mean less fuel!

Use everything you have!

There are many ways to optimize your launcher a bit more!

You're only 4.5 tons away from the 265t limit but the smallest fuel tank weighs 5 tons? Add it and adjust its fuel quantity!
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-31-00-14-03.jpg

In your opinion, which one of those orbits costed the least energy?
20211231_001939.jpg
The one on the left of course! Don't go uselessly high and save some precious fuel!

On your last try you failed by a little margin? Wait, before you redesign your rocket, that trick could save you.

Come back to your ship in orbit (you made a quicksave right? ...), and make your burn in 2 steps. Start burning, and turn your engine off when your orbit looks like this:
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-30-22-59-42.jpg

Then time-warp, and let your ship make a full turn:
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-30-22-59-48.jpg

Shortly before you reach the periapsis, restart your engine, now until the end:
Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-30-23-00-15.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2021-12-30-23-09-05.jpg
Finally, that ship that could barely do it at first did it quite easily. This works because that way your ship benefits during a longer time from the Oberth effect: a burn is the most efficient when it's performed close to the periapsis.

Still stuck? Don't hesitate to post your failed attempts and ask for advice, we are here to help! :)

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Demonstration

Now that we saw the theory, here is an example from which you can take inspiration. However please don't just copy that launcher for your own challenge.

Here is the rocket used. We need that screenshot of your rocket in the buildspace in your submission, so that we can see the total mass.
VideoCapture_20211218-192657.jpg
It weighs 220 tons, but you're not forced to go that low, the limit is 265 tons. This launcher was designed with the goal of doing it with the lowest possible mass, so the flight has to be close to perfect to succeed.

Here is the beginning of the launch:
VideoCapture_20211218-192714.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-192750.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-192808.jpg
The purpose is to build my horizontal velocity as quick as possible. Note that my trajectory is extremely aggressive, because my boosters are very short and I have to use their power to the best before they are depleted. But that launcher is atypical, you won't need to use such a crazy trajectory.

VideoCapture_20211218-192857.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-192946.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193011.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193041.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193127.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193130.jpg
Now I'm in orbit. Don't hesitate to document your flight and to show your ship in orbit.

Now I'm ready to send the probe towards infinity:
VideoCapture_20211218-193212.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193508.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193650.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193717.jpg

And finally, we need that screenshot to confirm that you succeeded:
VideoCapture_20211218-193832.jpg VideoCapture_20211218-193749.jpg
It must be took when the probe crosses one of the following marks:
Screenshot_20220922-093943_Chrome.jpg
In this case, I chose the first mark, at 11.360.000 km, which is Mars level before eccentricity for planets was introduced. The liberation speed at that point is 7250 m/s, so you win if your speed at that level is at least equal to this. A reasonable margin of error is tolerated.

Here is a video that shows the whole flight: VoyagerQuest.mp4

The screenshots are took from the video, so this is strictly the same flight.

Now it's your turn, good luck pilot! :cool:

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
View attachment 79459
how can i prevent this from happening?
The separator extension? Until now it's never really been a problem, it's because the separator at the base of the probe is upside down. When you'll click the separator the probe will still be separated normally (you don't need a side separator at this place by the way, it's redundant).

However if you really need to have it removed you can edit the blueprint, locate the separator and change the "height_max" parameter to 0:
Screenshot_20220224-150500_QuickEdit+.jpg

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Also if it's an option, this avoids the issue.

It's only cosmetic by the way, you don't need to worry about it impacting your submission. :)

Attachments

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Demonstration

Now that we saw the theory, here is an example from which you can take inspiration. However please don't just copy that launcher for your own challenge.

Here is the rocket used. We need that screenshot of your rocket in the buildspace in your submission, so that we can see the total mass.
View attachment 77122
It weighs 220 tons, but you're not forced to go that low, the limit is 265 tons. This launcher was designed with the goal of doing it with the lowest possible mass, so the flight has to be close to perfect to succeed.

Here is the beginning of the launch:
View attachment 77123 View attachment 77124 View attachment 77125
The purpose is to build my horizontal velocity as quick as possible. Note that my trajectory is extremely aggressive, because my boosters are very short and I have to use their power to the best before they are depleted. But that launcher is atypical, you won't need to use such a crazy trajectory.

View attachment 77126 View attachment 77127 View attachment 77128 View attachment 77129 View attachment 77130 View attachment 77131
Now I'm in orbit. Don't hesitate to document your flight and to show your ship in orbit.

Now I'm ready to send the probe towards infinity:
View attachment 77145 View attachment 77146 View attachment 77147 View attachment 77148

And finally, we need that screenshot to confirm that you succeeded:
View attachment 77149 View attachment 77150
It must be took when the probe crosses Mars' orbit. The liberation speed at that point is 7250 m/s, so you win if your speed at that level is at least equal to this.

Here is a video that shows the whole flight: VoyagerQuest.mp4

The screenshots are took from the video, so this is strictly the same flight.

Now it's your turn, good luck pilot! :cool:
I had 7380 and I was apparently still in high Solar orbit please can someone help me. https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/lYFG9hNUEe2fv3dcu4p9zg
Screenshot_20220803-185130_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I had 7380 and I was apparently still in high Solar orbit please can someone help me. https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/lYFG9hNUEe2fv3dcu4p9zg View attachment 88512
Things changed a little since I wrote this. Mars orbit was circular then, so it was practical to give the speed threshold at Mars level.

But Mars orbit is now elliptic, and this is not reliable anymore. That's why we now ask the speed at some specific distanced. You'll find them in the post given by Mooncrasher, they are the following:
Screenshot_20220803-205007_Chrome.jpg

In your case you're at 10.246.906 km from the Sun, way below the 11.360.000 km mark (the historical Mars level), the difference comes from here.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Things changed a little since I wrote this. Mars orbit was circular then, so it was practical to give the speed threshold at Mars level.

But Mars orbit is now elliptic, and this is not reliable anymore. That's why we now ask the speed at some specific distanced. You'll find them in the post given by Mooncrasher, they are the following:
View attachment 88514

In your case you're at 10.246.906 km from the Sun, way below the 11.360.000 km mark (the historical Mars level), the difference comes from here.
Just checked I'm 300m/s off any further ways to improve my rockets performance?
Screenshot_20220803-214331_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Oh yeah sorry, I'm rather used to sharing screenshots. Here is it:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-08-03-23-41-38.jpg

The main drawback is that your engine configuration is very heavy. The third stage first: a Valiant is way enough for that stage! A Valiant weighs 2 tons whereas a Frontier weighs 6 tons, that's quite a difference. Then for the second stage you don't need the 2 Valiants there, a Frontier is way enough. This allows you to save 4 more tons. Overall, that allows you to remove 8 tons from the launcher, so you can add more fuel (an additional 7.5 tons fuel tank will be perfect). The engine for the first stage is good.

This will allow some progress. Normally with this you should be able to succeed.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Oh yeah sorry, I'm rather used to sharing screenshots. Here is it:
View attachment 88519

The main drawback is that your engine configuration is very heavy. The third stage first: a Valiant is way enough for that stage! A Valiant weighs 2 tons whereas a Frontier weighs 6 tons, that's quite a difference. Then for the second stage you don't need the 2 Valiants there, a Frontier is way enough. This allows you to save 4 more tons. Overall, that allows you to remove 8 tons from the launcher, so you can add more fuel (an additional 7.5 tons fuel tank will be perfect). The engine for the first stage is good.

This will allow some progress. Normally with this you should be able to succeed.
Thank you just tried worked brilliantly i will be in team Valiant tomorrow!

Last edited:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Without more informations we can't help you. Have you applied the advice from that thread?

Also, I'd prefer that you desactivate the teleporter mod for the challenges, using that one would be cheating.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Just to make things clear, we wouldn't accept a rocket that is a copy of mine because it would make things too easy.

This put apart, the problem is probably how you fly the rocket. If your flying technique is not efficient enough it can largely explain your failure. You may want to read this part in this case.

BGnoname

Man on the Moon
Registered
I didnt understand, i know how to build a voyager because i did a grand tour mission before, but i dont understand the marks

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I didnt understand, i know how to build a voyager because i did a grand tour mission before, but i dont understand the marks
It means that you must show your speed at a certain distance from the Sun. For example, the first mark is at 11,360,000 km, your speed must be of at least 7250 m/s at that stage. In my example, I proved it by showing this screenshot:
VideoCapture_20211218-193832.jpg
This is to ensure you're actually on an escape trajectory. Below that speed you would "just" be on a very elongated ellipse.