Random Rocket Dimensions

Is this a good challenge idea?

• Total voters

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
So here's a bit of a unique challenge I thought of while in bed last night: Make a craft with random dimensions.

Now, what do I mean by this? Well, a 1.4 Expansion build grid is 128 blocks tall and 36 blocks wide.

The challenge is this: Go to a random number generator, and generate a random number between 1 and 128 for your Height, 4 and 36 for the Width, and go somewhere with it.

Example:
Height:
Screenshot_2019-06-15-14-19-09.png
Width:
Screenshot_2019-06-15-14-18-53.png

So now I have to make something that is 117 blocks tall and 26 blocks wide. I've made an example here:
Screenshot_2019-06-15-14-24-17.png
Screenshot_2019-06-15-14-24-06.png
(The example craft is actually 24 blocks wide because I forgot to put anything on the sides, but you get the idea.)

Rules:
No cheats (duh)
No .qks editing
No BP editing
No Planet Editing
The dimensions of the craft must be exactly what you get from the randomizer through out the whole rocket, even if it makes it asymmetrical. The only exception for Width is Fairings and Nose Cones and other aerodynamic objects. But the height must stay exactly the same as what the randomizer gives you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I got 128 and 1. I did what I could:
Screenshot_20190615-212753_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

OI! It crashed!
Screenshot_20190615-212806_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Alright so maybe I should make it so that the minimum width is 4 blocks so that you can at least put down an engine and a fuel tank..

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Alright so maybe I should make it so that the minimum width is 4 blocks so that you can at least put down an engine and a fuel tank..
You should have expected that somebody would test the limit :p

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Trolled by Space Stig.

You know, I'm a little surprised he still didn't get it into orbit.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
So here's a bit of a unique challenge I thought of while in bed last night: Make a craft with random dimensions.

Now, what do I mean by this? Well, a 1.4 Expansion build grid is 128 blocks tall and 36 blocks wide.

The challenge is this: Go to a random number generator, and generate a random number between 1 and 128 for your Height, 1 and 36 for the Width, and go somewhere with it.

Example:
Height:
View attachment 21180
Width:
View attachment 21182

So now I have to make something that is 26 blocks wide and 117 blocks tall. I've made an example here:
View attachment 21184
View attachment 21183
(The example craft is actually 24 blocks wide because I forgot to put anything on the sides, but you get the idea.)

Rules:
No cheats (duh)
No .qks editing
No BP editing
No Planet Editing
The dimensions of the craft must be exactly what you get from the randomizer through out the whole rocket, even if it makes it asymmetrical. The only exception for Width is Fairings and Nose Cones and other aerodynamic objects. But the height must stay exactly the same as what the randomizer gives you.

Good luck!
Woah this is definitely a unique challenge

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I love how We've gotten it to a point where no qks editing needs to be added in (although it doesn't matter much, not much you can do here).

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, it's usually pretty obvious you've done a cheat though. Doing the math to do that change precisely would be harder than doing it legit.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Anyway, I'd like to see some attempts at this. Obviously not today as it's very late for most people on the forum, but some attempts would be nice.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
34 Tall. That sounds fun. Sounds like Ions and Grasshoppers.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Screenshot_2019-06-15-23-01-54.png

Screenshot_2019-06-15-23-03-14.png

Screenshot_2019-06-15-23-04-20.png

Screenshot_2019-06-15-23-04-43.png

Screenshot_2019-06-15-23-05-12.png

Easily 75 tons to orbit (all that can be fit). I could fix it to have the probe core in the second stage, it'd just look uglier.

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered

The challenge is this: Go to a random number generator, and generate a random number between 1 and 128 for your Height, 4 and 36 for the Width, and go somewhere with it.

Example:
Height:
View attachment 21180
Width:
View attachment 21182

So now I have to make something that is 117 blocks tall and 26 blocks wide. I've made an example here:
View attachment 21184
View attachment 21183

Rules:
No cheats (duh)
No .qks editing
No BP editing
No Planet Editing

Good luck!
What If I'm on base game?
Total height is 32 blocks I believe

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Trolled by Space Stig.

You know, I'm a little surprised he still didn't get it into orbit.
I'm still trying. I try to make it gravity assist with itself, but this is a very tricky maneuver.