Razor Resurrect

I will review my approach angles to make sure I am carrying out the slingshot properly, I also had a thought just now; my perspective on the oberth effect was to use it specifically for acceleration. However if ai were to make multiple burns at my closest point to mercury in order to circularize the orbit progressively, this would be more efficient than a long burn at a steeper descent to land?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I will review my approach angles to make sure I am carrying out the slingshot properly, I also had a thought just now; my perspective on the oberth effect was to use it specifically for acceleration. However if ai were to make multiple burns at my closest point to mercury in order to circularize the orbit progressively, this would be more efficient than a long burn at a steeper descent to land?
Yes indeed, the Oberth effect also applies for deceleration. Mathematically, a deceleration is just a negative acceleration after all. So yes it's better to burn at the periapsis, and if your burn is too long, you can do that over several passes, that will be the most efficient.