Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Has anyone done a Venus and back minimal? (31.85 tons is my mass) I have all the raw footage you need.

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I remember Altaïr did a Mercury and back mission with less than 100t rocket right?

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Ions + clipped isn't a very popular minimum mass category, so I'm not sure
I guess that shows a problem. Unless you want to have a thousand catagories some records won't work

zTallsRobot

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Ions + clipped isn't a very popular minimum mass category, so I'm not sure
i hate clipped minimalistic missions, it should count like cheating as you can save mass by compacting things, i like the discord style missions, where clipping is allowed for different part configurations as long as the final product isn't

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
i hate clipped minimalistic missions, it should count like cheating as you can save mass by compacting things, i like the discord style missions, where clipping is allowed for different part configurations as long as the final product isn't
I like the discord ruleset a lot, yeah. It gives you a lot of room for tinkering and creativity while not letting you cheat

zTallsRobot

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
the only issue about discord style mission is that some people start to say the rocket is terrible which is stupid because i can clearly show them one of my BP edited builds and they just shut up

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
That's a whole problem, a set of rules has to be decided for a record to be valid. Which either results in a large number of categories, or leads to dismiss a lot of entries. Lemniscate Biscuit's Venus return mission would break some commonly accepted rules ("no ion engine" or "no clipping"), but it's still a remarkable performance. It would be regrettable to dismiss it, but if we create a category specifically for him we are going to create a lot of categories following that logic.

I'm thinking, an alternative could be some sort of Hall of Fame that would keep track of all worthy performances, no matter if it gets beaten in the future. Horus' Komodo still deserves to be remembered, even if somebody builds an even bigger launcher.

The problem of a Records section is also that it requires constant maintenance, new categories need to be added regularly, if a record is beaten we need to update it and so on... which means that sooner or later it will be abandoned. Trust me, it's what happens systematically with everything that needs maintenance. We saw it with the USFS that has been obsolete for years now, for the highlighted blueprints section because the judges are no longer active... The most notable exception is the team ranking section, that still holds thanks to the team judges.

This is my opinion, if we want something durable, we need something that requires as little maintenance as possible.

Axiom

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
That's a whole problem, a set of rules has to be decided for a record to be valid. Which either results in a large number of categories, or leads to dismiss a lot of entries. Lemniscate Biscuit's Venus return mission would break some commonly accepted rules ("no ion engine" or "no clipping"), but it's still a remarkable performance. It would be regrettable to dismiss it, but if we create a category specifically for him we are going to create a lot of categories following that logic.

I'm thinking, an alternative could be some sort of Hall of Fame that would keep track of all worthy performances, no matter if it gets beaten in the future. Horus' Komodo still deserves to be remembered, even if somebody builds an even bigger launcher.

The problem of a Records section is also that it requires constant maintenance, new categories need to be added regularly, if a record is beaten we need to update it and so on... which means that sooner or later it will be abandoned. Trust me, it's what happens systematically with everything that needs maintenance. We saw it with the USFS that has been obsolete for years now, for the highlighted blueprints section because the judges are no longer active... The most notable exception is the team ranking section, that still holds thanks to the team judges.

This is my opinion, if we want something durable, we need something that requires as little maintenance as possible.
Hall of fame for 'Largest payload to LEO' makes sense to be honest, you could put that there along with other things like your jupiterised mission or your grand tour mission

I think the problem of 'Different preffered rules' is why speedruns have so many categories in games. Take minecraft for example, there are categories for glitchless, glitched, set seed, random seed and versions of those for each patch mojang has implemented (don't get me started on the random other ones). I think something like this could work but I think that I would need all 4 main communites (Reddit, Forum, Discord and Wiki) to work together and it would require some more publicity (Like maybe make it so it displays a random record on the sidebar of the forum? just a dumb idea)

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
would need all 4 main communites (Reddit, Forum, Discord and Wiki)
The issue is that across all of them there are maybe 15 people that do this kind of stuff. The discord has the biggest compilation and I think about 7 names appear there

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Strongly agreed.

Axiom

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Can we have other achievements, not just records? i.e. Moon^2 or Jupiter 4 or Grand Tour Return.
Just realised something. With records like 'The Grand Tour' and 'Jupiter 4' they also run into the same version problem.
1.4. "Base difficulty"
1.5 interplanetary distances are now 2.5 times farther
1.53 Reentry heating is added (this affects the grand tour more as you need to account for it when entering venus and mars aswell as earth)
And the galiean moons had their gravity nerfed severly sometime which makes both missions easier

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
Just realised something. With records like 'The Grand Tour' and 'Jupiter 4' they also run into the same version problem.
1.4. "Base difficulty"
1.5 interplanetary distances are now 2.5 times farther
1.53 Reentry heating is added (this affects the grand tour more as you need to account for it when entering venus and mars aswell as earth)
And the galiean moons had their gravity nerfed severly sometime which makes both missions easier
Latest game version.

Axiom

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
This is where SFS records will be kept, along with links to where they were submitted.
It will be expanded with time (you can suggest records to include). For fairness and clarity, records will tend to have terms attached as required so that everyone attempting it is on the same level. This might mean disallowing certain items, or exploits, or locking the record to a specific SFS version.
If needed, this section will be categorised and indexed, such as by SFS version associated with the record, and the community the record is popular in.
Not every suggested record will be included, and records will of course tend to be numerical in nature.

List of records suggested, implemented so far:
Forum
Lightest Voyager Quest [SFS versions with engine heating(if relevant), and same terms as current voyager quest]:
Altaïr's Voyager Quest (220.18t)

Discord
1 Lift off mass of rocket is recorded
2 Must have video proof of full mission and send the bp file
3 No switching craft to avoid atmosphere
4 All craft that reach their target must return to earth, or dock with a craft that will return
5 Must use the default solar system, no cheats, bp editing, mods, or clipping allowed (Part clipping is allowed to get certain part states or configurations so long as the craft is not clipped when it leaves the ground)
6 Old parts are allowed so long as they were once vanilla parts in an official release and were accessible without bp editing You must load an old bp containing them to use them

Rules made by Astria.

Lightest Rocket to LEO and Return
yonkee , 10.64t
Link: Yonkee, SFS Official Discord
Video: Yonkee 10.64t orbit
Tryhard Voyager Quest Astro826 did voyager quest in under 200 tons