PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
That's quite a mega buff, of course it worked. I'd go so far to say as it makes every other engine except Valiant redundant.
This is why I haven’t released it yet, trying to balance it into the existing “curve” of engines.

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Irregardless, no modded engines for that kind of return record. :)

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
i'd argue only ions don't get obsolete.

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
This is why I haven’t released it yet, trying to balance it into the existing “curve” of engines.
I think it's impossible to land on mars/venus and back with an SSTO with no refueling. You need 3000m/s of Dv for reaching LEO, 2×900 for space travel and 2000 to reach LxO. It make approximately 6800m/s of Dv, so the rapport between wet and dry mass must be >12, or the maximum is 10. ( I supposed ISP=280 so it's even harder with Hawk or kolibri engines)with ions it must be possible but they are cheated

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Quickest rocket to orbit. Has to be in a version with engine heating. No mods, no bp editing, no cheats, part clipping is allowed. Full video to orbit with timer,( timer can be added post mission). Allowed to use physics warp however we are counting in game time so physics warp won't affect your time.

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Quickest rocket to orbit. Has to be in a version with engine heating. No mods, no bp editing, no cheats, part clipping is allowed. Full video to orbit with timer,( timer can be added post mission). Allowed to use physics warp however we are counting in game time so physics warp won't affect your time.
Starts to get at very quickly into speed running… at that point you can add probably hundreds of potential targets/takes and run times

Landing / LXO / Fly By etc.

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Starts to get at very quickly into speed running… at that point you can add probably hundreds of potential targets/takes and run times

If someone made an in-game timer mod...

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered

And why not speed running

Axiom

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
We won't do a plain "heaviest X" without any qualifiers, because then it's just a game of who can bp edit bigger numbers.
Sorry for necroposting, but I feel like it would still be worth it to record the largest payload to orbit rocket (Well, at least without egredious bp editing like engine stretching) as those types of lauchers become famous. A lot of people know about Horus' komodo launcher because simply of how large it is. You say that the record would be easy to break but Horus' record has been standing for over 3 years and the record before it (Danny's 20kt catherdral that I cannot find the launch thread of for the life of me) stood for over one year

zTallsRobot

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
it would be nice to update the thread, there have been many discord and forum mass records since then, I also did some discord records in realistic mode, specifically to space (1.37t) and orbit (8.45t)

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
it would be nice to update the thread, there have been many discord and forum mass records since then, I also did some discord records in realistic mode, specifically to space (1.37t) and orbit (8.45t)
Afaik the discord has slightly different rules
Edit: nvm my memory bad

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The problem is that there are many possible sets of rules, and there's also the fact that over time a given challenge can be easier to do when a new version arises.

For example, during 1.35 it was not possible to bp edit and make a probe ridiculously small to reach orbit with the slightest possible mass, but on the other hand fairings were immune to drag, and this could be used to optimize a launcher.
Then during 1.4 drag was a big mess, it was disabled by default, but it was possible to re-enable it. But then it was terribly bugged. And there was also the problem that somebody decided for the whole forum that everybody had to play with drag on.
Then version 1.5 fixed all that, but now the heat damage prevents from stacking engines like many of us used to do before.

So honestly in these conditions it's hard to define a "record of all times". I'll take the Komodo for example. It was certainly a record under 1.4. But that launcher wouldn't work in 1.5 because of heat damages generated by stacked engines. On the other side, now that infinite build area is available it's easy to bp edit very large launchers, and it's even easier if you play the modded Steam version that allows you to edit parts in just a few clicks without leaving the game. It became so ridiculous that at some point I made popular a joke that consisted in launching other players' launchers with a super launcher. That's what Mooncrasher meant when he said it was just the contest of who would enter the biggest numbers in the bp file.

Lemniscate Biscuit

Help Desk Receptionist
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
The problem is that there are many possible sets of rules, and there's also the fact that over time a given challenge can be easier to do when a new version arises.

For example, during 1.35 it was not possible to bp edit and make a probe ridiculously small to reach orbit with the slightest possible mass, but on the other hand fairings were immune to drag, and this could be used to optimize a launcher.
Then during 1.4 drag was a big mess, it was disabled by default, but it was possible to re-enable it. But then it was terribly bugged. And there was also the problem that somebody decided for the whole forum that everybody had to play with drag on.
Then version 1.5 fixed all that, but now the heat damage prevents from stacking engines like many of us used to do before.

So honestly in these conditions it's hard to define a "record of all times". I'll take the Komodo for example. It was certainly a record under 1.4. But that launcher wouldn't work in 1.5 because of heat damages generated by stacked engines. On the other side, now that infinite build area is available it's easy to bp edit very large launchers, and it's even easier if you play the modded Steam version that allows you to edit parts in just a few clicks without leaving the game. It became so ridiculous that at some point I made popular a joke that consisted in launching other players' launchers with a super launcher. That's what Mooncrasher meant when he said it was just the contest of who would enter the biggest numbers in the bp file.
Can we have other achievements, not just records? i.e. Moon^2 or Jupiter 4 or Grand Tour Return.

Axiom

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered

Maybe do different versions? Like 1.35, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.5.4 (when infinite build space was added and when engines burn parts)

Axiom

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
You can also have records for that though
Would it be a 'Lightest X' type record?
Maybe do different versions? Like 1.35, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.5.4 (when infinite build space was added and when engines burn parts)
For each of the versions I think these are the records
1.35 = 500T (1000 technically because mass was halved in 1.35) by Mars Pathfinder in the Kiloton Club Thread
1.4 = 60,000T by Horus Lupercal using the Komodo Delivery System Model 264 in the thread of the same name
1.5 = 12,000T by Earl in the Dead Lifting Thread
1.54 = 12,200T by Lemniscate Biscuit using the Yeetus the III in the Kiloton Club Thread

Last edited:

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
For each of the versions I think these are the records
1.35 = 500T (1000 technically because mass was halved in 1.35) by @Mars Pathfinder in the Kiloton Club Thread
1.4 = 60,000T by @Horus Lupercal using the Komodo Delivery System Model 264 in the thread of the same name
1.5 = 12,000T by @Earl in the Dead Lifting Thread
1.54 = 12,200T by @Lemniscate Biscuit using the Yeetus the III in the Kiloton Club Thread
Raw max mass to orbit records are pointless. What actually matters is max mass in one buildscreen

Axiom

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Raw max mass to orbit records are pointless. What actually matters is max mass in one buildscreen
I still think that it would ne nice to record it due to how famous the record is. Max mass in one buildscreen could be a separate record