Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I have clipped the capsule in each booster
I get it, but you have to take control of the booster in flight then, which means you temporarily give up the control of the core... Not the most practical solution imo. :rolleyes:

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Yea but idk why you need a separation motor anyways?
And why you need to sperate a booster?
The whole point of the challenge was to try and replicate the same booster separation sequence as the Soyuz, hence the reason to separate in the first place.

As far as the physics behind it, by shedding boosters you have to carry less mass into space, and thus can do more with your rocket.

The whole point of the challenge was to try and replicate the same booster separation sequence as the Soyuz, hence the reason to separate in the first place.

As far as the physics behind it, by shedding boosters you have to carry less mass into space, and thus can do more with your rocket.
Seriously, i didn't knew that.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
And why you need to sperate a booster?
In real life, some separation motors are disposed on the boosters, and they are activated on separation to push the booster away from the launcher. That's what you are supposed to recreate in this challenge.

A notable example of this is the Soyuz MS-10 mission, it was aborted a few years ago because of a failure of this mechanism: one of the boosters hasn't had its separation motor turned on, it striked the rocket and damaged the second stage.

Scientia Space Agency

TEAM HAWK
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Horus Lupercal have a point: in like 30 rockets that I built I used once separation motors, only because the boosters recontacted the main stage, so two solutions: or as I did you use ion engines, that can give a nice slow detachment or you bp edit a Kolibri and give him a practically empty tank to do an high trust-small time burn (I never tested the second option but with a bit of tweaks that should work.)

Gene

Discord Staff
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Today challenge is to make a separation motor like Soyuz have to separate its booster.
Rules:
no cheats
No DLC
must be made in sfs 1.5 not sfs 1.4
should be able to fit on any size of booster.
I will post my one speration motor on 2 pm 16/6/2020
I made this a while ago (Before staging) though it cant really be entered as it uses the DLC's.
The current version uses ions to make the koralev cross but I dont have a video of that(gimmie a minute to make one)

Attachments

A challenge to create a sideways firing engine set up to push away larger boosters?
Not sure what difficulty this would be to achieve as a 'challenge'. Build booster, rotate small engine 90 degrees, install on booster, add fuel.
Done.
Already done that before to stop my rocket from self destructing when I separated my boosters

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Have you considered making the rocket such that the boosters don't destroy it?:p
Separation motors aren't required.