SHARE YOUR BLUEPRINTS

Kg
P
The Starloader 8. A Reusable SSTO Launcher for Base Game players View attachment 15288
This rocket works great for launching space station modules. I am currently working on a huge space station in the free mode and it took me 5 hours yesterday to build the back bone of the entire thing. This is my first space station and it has worked better than any of my rockets do. But I can’t slow it down enough to land it. It just hits the ground at 500 m/s. Because of this I just removed the parachutes to allow a tiny bit more weight to be carried. When I complete the station I’ll post the blueprints of the modules.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Kg
P

This rocket works great for launching space station modules. I am currently working on a huge space station in the free mode and it took me 5 hours yesterday to build the back bone of the entire thing. This is my first space station and it has worked better than any of my rockets do. But I can’t slow it down enough to land it. It just hits the ground at 500 m/s. Because of this I just removed the parachutes to allow a tiny bit more weight to be carried. When I complete the station I’ll post the blueprints of the modules.
Yeah, that's because of a glitch that makes drag almost zero. What you can do when landing it is: at 10 000 meters open your game menú and hit Exit, then hit Resume Game, and you'll have the real drag, wich will slow down your rocket enough for a parachute landing. By the way, I'm glad you like it :)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Holy ...! That explains some random problems I had.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Holy ...! That explains some random problems I had.
Yeah, when you showed up your Reusable rocket and said you needed 23% of fuel to land it I thought you didn't have enough drag, So I thought to tell you this, but I completely forgot, Please, forgive me.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Yeah, when you showed up your Reusable rocket and said you needed 23% of fuel to land it I thought you didn't have enough drag, So I thought to tell you this, but I completely forgot, Please, forgive me.
Nah, it's ok. :)
If you ask me, the drag is maybe more unrealistic. When I deorbit my second stage, even when it has a payload and tonnes of fuel on board, its velocity goes from 1200 m/s at 10,000 m to 50 m/s by the time it gets to 1000 m, just because of drag, whichs seems kind of extreme......

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
If you ask me, the drag is maybe more unrealistic. When I deorbit my second stage, even when it has a payload and tonnes of fuel on board, its velocity goes from 1200 m/s at 10,000 m to 50 m/s by the time it gets to 1000 m, just because of drag, whichs seemskind of extreme......
You know, Actually 50 m/s Its a good velocity, Its 180 km/h or 111 mph

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
But in real life, you'd add a 0 to that number, right?;)
1000 mph. :eek:
Not sure. The speed of sound is "only" 340 m/s, no object could remain supersonic on a long time without propulsion (especially if it's not aerodynamically shaped).
But an object that would slow down so fast would most likely desintegrate itself indeed.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ah, yes. I totally forgot about the speed of sound.
Still, 50 m/s still feels too slow. I'd expect more like 100?
I wonder if there's a way to figure out roughly what my speed should be at 30 km, 20 km, etc, in order to not disintegrate! Obviously it appears that real life wouldn't use quite the same numbers as SFS.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah, yes. I totally forgot about the speed of sound.
Still, 50 m/s still feels too slow. I'd expect more like 100?
I wonder if there's a way to figure out roughly what my speed should be at 30 km, 20 km, etc, in order to not disintegrate! Obviously it appears that real life wouldn't use quite the same numbers as SFS.
There's no general answer to that, but 50 m/s is not that slow: it's approximately the limit speed that could reach a human in free fall. It's a matter of aerodynamics, but also of mechanical and/or thermal resistance.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
If you ask me, the drag is maybe more unrealistic. When I deorbit my second stage, even when it has a payload and tonnes of fuel on board, its velocity goes from 1200 m/s at 10,000 m to 50 m/s by the time it gets to 1000 m, just because of drag, whichs seems kind of extreme......
But in real life, you'd add a 0 to that number, right?;)
1000 mph. :eek:
Nah, I've been reading around in unrelated stuff about the recovered drone sections from spaceX boosters. Apparently they're only doing 160m/s when they start the hoverslam burns.
Drag is hideous stuff, an F1 car generates 1g of decelerating force just by the driver taking his foot off the accelerator. That's equal to a driver in a road car slamming hard on the actual brakes.

Not sure. The speed of sound is "only" 340 m/s, no object could remain supersonic on a long time without propulsion (especially if it's not aerodynamically shaped).
But an object that would slow down so fast would most likely desintegrate itself indeed.
There's no general answer to that, but 50 m/s is not that slow: it's approximately the limit speed that could reach a human in free fall. It's a matter of aerodynamics, but also of mechanical and/or thermal resistance.
And the speed of sound is a relative term. It's different at altitude to sea level, temperatures, barometric pressures and even in different objects (it's like 900ish in water and several thousand through solid objects). The denser the medium, the faster sound travels.

When Felix set the freefall records a few years back, he went from 0 to over Mach 1 and back down to a standard freefall speed without aids (apart from a space suit) without disintegrating.
But then you look at incoming meteorites. They arrive too fast, at the wrong angle and they tend to explode, flattening large areas like an airbursting bomb.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Nah, I've been reading around in unrelated stuff about the recovered drone sections from spaceX boosters. Apparently they're only doing 160m/s when they start the hoverslam burns.
Drag is hideous stuff, an F1 car generates 1g of decelerating force just by the driver taking his foot off the accelerator. That's equal to a driver in a road car slamming hard on the actual brakes.
Oh, wow. 160 m/s?
I expected it to be higher, as they apparently make sonic booms on the way down, just before they start their hoverslam burn.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Oh, wow. 160 m/s?
I expected it to be higher, as they apparently make sonic booms on the way down, just before they start their hoverslam burn.
Yeah, i was expecting higher as well as I've heard the booms from the videos of them landing. And Shuttle as well as it came in was super sonic at low level. He could have been wrong though.
I've heard 250m/s as well from other sources, which is more like the noise they're making in video but still sub-sonic pre-burn.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Oh, wow. 160 m/s?
The sonic booms actually come from a lot earlier probably, it just takes them a while to reach the people... That's my best guess anyway.

Get some

Attachments