Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well, that distance would be the best chance a Tiger I has against a Leopard.

And by chance I mean 'pray we fire first and get lucky, cos his first round will probably punch out the back of our turret'

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Well, that distance would be the best chance a Tiger I has against a Leopard.

And by chance I mean 'pray we fire first and get lucky, cos his first round will probably punch out the back of our turret'
Wooooow, does the Leopard have magic bullets?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Wooooow, does the Leopard have magic bullets?
Yeah, it's called APFSDS ammunition. A Tiger I had between 100 and 120mm of armour at the front of the turret. APFSDS ammunition fired from a Leopard II main gun is capable of penetrating about 4-5 times more armour at about 2,000metres.

So yeah, it won't be too much of a stretch to assume it passing through 2 layers of 70yr old armour amounting to no more than 200mm (actually alot less cos the turret rear was much thinner) and the intervening air space at about 15 metres.

Bear in mind Tiger I could do a similar feat itself to certain tanks back when it was first fielded.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Yeah, it's called APFSDS ammunition. A Tiger I had between 100 and 120mm of armour at the front of the turret. APFSDS ammunition fired from a Leopard II main gun is capable of penetrating about 4-5 times more armour at about 2,000metres.

So yeah, it won't be too much of a stretch to assume it passing through 2 layers of 70yr old armour amounting to no more than 200mm (actually alot less cos the turret rear was much thinner) and the intervening air space at about 15 metres.

Bear in mind Tiger I could do a similar feat itself to certain tanks back when it was first fielded.
Okay, wow, those bullets look expensive. And impressive.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Okay, wow, those bullets look expensive. And impressive.
The dart part of the rounds, absolutely. Tungsten is very, very, very hard to work and shape because of its ridiculous hardness and melting point. But, it's really good for breaking other things which is why it's used for tools and anti-tank ammunition.

Fired at 1700m/s (you could add the muzzle velocities of a .50cal machine gun and the 88mm on the Tiger I together and it wouldn't be as fast as APFSDS ammunition is capable of), it'll basically put a hole in whatever it touches.
There are exceptions, but very minor ones.