JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
We all know the Soviet space shuttle well what if Russia made a new version of both the Buran and the Energía so we can have more people on the ISS and Russia could build their own space station if you watch Curious Droids video on the Buran you can see it's far superior to the STS I think Russia should bring then back

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Why would Russia need their own space station, when they have quite a large share on the completed International Space Station.
Granted, Buran is superior to the STS (unsurprising considering it's newer) but it suffers from the vast majority of the same problems STS has, including enormous turn around costs, potential heat shield failures and nothing to lift because the ISS has been completed.
In fact, the only STS criticism that can't be leveled at Buran is the dangers of using SRBs as the main thrust system.

What the Russians should've kept up was the Energia rocket, which by all accounts was a pretty good launch system.

Also, the Buran wouldn't allow having more people on the ISS. The ISS determines how many people live on the ISS.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered

Why would Russia need their own space station, when they have quite a large share on the completed International Space Station.
Granted, Buran is superior to the STS (unsurprising considering it's newer) but it suffers from the vast majority of the same problems STS has, including enormous turn around costs, potential heat shield failures and nothing to lift because the ISS has been completed.
In fact, the only STS criticism that can't be leveled at Buran is the dangers of using SRBs as the main thrust system.

What the Russians should've kept up was the Energia rocket, which by all accounts was a pretty good launch system.

Also, the Buran wouldn't allow having more people on the ISS. The ISS determines how many people live on the ISS.
Another reason Russia should bring it back Is because when the ISS gets decommissioned the Buran can bring it back to earth for display

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Why does the ISS has to be abandoned anyway? We have a space station, why do we want to destroy it? To make a new one that is better cause Its newer?

The fact is that, If we want to go back to Moon, Mars or maybe even beyond, at some point we are going to need a space station in LEO, so why destroy the one we have?

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
You know how heavy the ISS is, right?
Yes
Why does the ISS has to be abandoned anyway? We have a space station, why do we want to destroy it? To make a new one that is better cause Its newer?

The fact is that, If we want to go back to Moon, Mars or maybe even beyond, at some point we are going to need a space station in LEO, so why destroy the one we have?
The ISS is old NASA and other space agencys have said they will abandon the station in 2028

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Yes

The ISS is old NASA and other space agencys have said they will abandon the station in 2028
Have they said the reason? Because 'Its old' don't feel like enough reasons to deorbit the billions of dollars and the years of effort put into that thing.

Also, the Soyuz is much, MUCH older and is still Flying.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Is it even capable of landing single modules? I know the STS could only bring down something like 12tons of payload.
Well, I think so, the Buran can return more payload than the STS, so I guess Its technically possible. Also, there aren't that many Russian-made modules in the ISS, I think only 3 or 4.

Still, I can't imagine Russia reviving the Buran only to save the Russian segment of the ISS.

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered

I love how passive aggressive you are when you do things like post videos telling people how to use punctuation without context. Makes me laugh.

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I don't see much point in bringing home the ISS at all other than to display. The amount of effort it would take to return the station seems much to intensive for such little benefit. I could possibly see returning the ISS as a job for starship. Possibly it could return a module at a time during resupply missions? That's if starship is up and running by then and if the station would need resupply missions during its retirment process.
Personally I think that it would be great to have the ISS back on Earth but I can't see it happening any time soon. It will probably go down like mir but hey , we will get some pretty fireworks!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well, I think so, the Buran can return more payload than the STS, so I guess Its technically possible. Also, there aren't that many Russian-made modules in the ISS, I think only 3 or 4.
Buran could bring down 20 tons. ISS weighs around 450. So it'll take at least 23 flights if all the chunks are evenly sized, 20 ton blocks.

It will probably go down like mir but hey , we will get some pretty fireworks!
I don't think they'll just drop it out of the sky. The US has enough bad memories of fucking up de-orbiting Skylab, and ISS is 4 times heavier. If and when they get around to bringing it down, they'll probably break it into smaller bits first and aim each chunk for as far away from landfall as possible. The closest it'll get to a museum is the bottom of the pacific ocean, unless someone goes fishing for the bits like what's happened with a few Saturn V parts.

That's if starship is up and running by then and if the station would need resupply missions during its retirment process
I think Starship will be operational before they get rid of ISS. There's no plans by the Russians at least to give up on the station and they're the primary transporters to the ISS at the moment. It'd also be a better bet if they want to bring it down as it's got the low cost, high capacity required to do such a task.

I love how passive aggressive you are when you do things like post videos telling people how to use punctuation without context. Makes me laugh.
That phrase you use. I don't think it means, what you think it means.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I means like being aggressive without directly saying anything aggressive ... Right?
It also implies implying something without directly stating anything. Being passive, if you will.

I'm not only being non-aggressive, I'm also being pretty unambiguous and direct about it. Not only that, I've provided the tools to improve.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I don't see much point in bringing home the ISS at all other than to display. The amount of effort it would take to return the station seems much to intensive for such little benefit. I could possibly see returning the ISS as a job for starship. Possibly it could return a module at a time during resupply missions? That's if starship is up and running by then and if the station would need resupply missions during its retirment process.
Personally I think that it would be great to have the ISS back on Earth but I can't see it happening any time soon. It will probably go down like mir but hey , we will get some pretty fireworks!
There is a problem on it....

In us Orb Seg. Some of the modules are Permanently Attached...

Then the disassembling part would cost more (launch-eva-land repeat) and that could take time (turn around of buran-energia) and some labour while disassembling iss...

Its more fun if it will reenter and goin to Scheduled Disassembly in atmo (welp its more cost effective since u just goin to send a one reentry tug to deorbit that thing) but no museums oh wait there is but in deep sea only.....

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
russia can run their modules alone but usa dont can run it without russias
when they build their own statio n they can use buran..... or not....
Well, now the Americans fly CrewDragon to the space station, cygnus and dragon for supplies.

T

TtTOtW

Soyuz is so well proven that it can without a doubt only be a major and unnecessary risk to replace it. All possible minor and major issues have been addressed fully by now, only a fool would replace it with an unproven set of pros and cons.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
And since soyuz flown 1000+ times and a workhorse of Roscosmos (sometimes private ones) its has high reliability rate compare to others....

but srly guys can they develop a reusable soyuz or more modern soyuz (like no more bulky computer)....

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
And since soyuz flown 1000+ times and a workhorse of Roscosmos (sometimes private ones) its has high reliability rate compare to others....

but srly guys can they develop a reusable soyuz or more modern soyuz (like no more bulky computer)....
What they are doing, and will continue doing, is modernizing the Soyuz, but like we all already said, I don't they will take the risk to make a new unproven system to replace a proven an reliable one.