Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
SpaceX might have done with with starship
Starship was designed from the start to be totally re-usable.

Soyuz was never designed to be re-usable in any way.

Soyuz is a different concept to Starship. Hence why it's not that easy to make a rocket re-usable.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Starship was designed from the start to be totally re-usable.

Soyuz was never designed to be re-usable in any way.

Soyuz is a different concept to Starship. Hence why it's not that easy to make a rocket re-usable.
I heard the otherday a Chinese secret rocket landed it's first stage

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
And if we're talking about reusability the Saturn 1 rocket was ment to be reusable they planned to place a glider on the rocket

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Nice, but that is first stage reusability, nof full reusability.
And if we're talking about reusability the Saturn 1 rocket was ment to be reusable they planned to place a glider on the rocket
Oh, I didn't know. To be honest, I can't imagine a rocket descending from suborbital and then opening its wings to fly back home like a seagull...

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Nice, but that is first stage reusability, nof full reusability.

Oh, I didn't know. To be honest, I can't imagine a rocket descending from suborbital and then opening its wings to fly back home like a seagull...
Why did the never used the Saturn 1 to launch a person into space

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I thought it was a secret space plane.

Again, if that story is true (China, making an X-37 copy out of nowhere, I'm skeptical), it is still a different concept to making Soyuz re-usable. The Chinese 'X-37' was designed from inception to be re-usable.
Soyuz was not.

Again, it's not just as simple as 'make Soyuz re-usable'. It's much, much harder than that.

Why did the never used the Saturn 1 to launch a person into space
Saturn I wasn't designed for real payloads. It lifted 'boilerplate' mass simulator payloads to test the payloads in flight. Lifting humans into orbit became the job of the upgraded versions (IB and V)

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I thought it was a secret space plane.

Again, if that story is true (China, making an X-37 copy out of nowhere, I'm skeptical), it is still a different concept to making Soyuz re-usable. The Chinese 'X-37' was designed from inception to be re-usable.
Soyuz was not.
They are making a Pointy end up and flamey end down like Musk and look ma no pilot too of USAF I mean USSF right now???

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
As I understand it, this is fun reasoning. But what did I find.

THE SCIENCE

SCIENCE NEWS

08/07/202004: 17

Roscosmos will develop a new analogue of the Buran spacecraft to replace the Soyuz

The head of the Roscosmos corporation Dmitry Rogozin instructed to develop new versions of a reusable manned space shuttle similar to the Soviet Buran spacecraft to replace the outdated Soyuz, RIA Novosti reports.

“We need to make a reusable ship of a completely different configuration - something like the Buran with the ability to land on runways. I set this task to our engineers, ”Rogozin said.

He added that the project will not be implemented in the near future, and the Soyuz MS will remain in operation for some time and will be modernized.

“But endless modernization is detrimental to the development of space technology,” said the head of the corporation.

Translated from my native Russian

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
Well, who needs more information.

The state corporation Roscosmos has begun designing a new super-heavy rocket, which will abandon the idea of building a similar launch vehicle based on the Angara family of missiles, Izvestia newspaper writes on Monday with reference to RSC Energia CEO Vladimir Solntsev.

It is planned to create a new rocket on the basis of the backlog of the Soviet program "Energia-Buran", in particular, it is planned to use the Soviet liquid-propellant rocket engine RD-170, developed by KB "Energomash" for the launch vehicle "Energia".

“We are not yet considering the use of hydrogen circuits at the first and second stages of this carrier. We want to take the third stage from the already flying Angara, ”explained Vladimir Solntsev.

The projected rocket based on RD-171 technologies is supposed to launch about 80 tons of payload into low-earth orbit. In the future, it is assumed the possibility of increasing the carrying capacity to 120 tons and, if necessary, up to 160 tons by changing the layout of the rocket and expanding the capabilities of the engines. Thus, the projected carrier will become the main rocket in the subsequent implementation of the lunar program.

Roscosmos believes that it will take five to seven years to create a super-heavy rocket according to the chosen scheme. It is noted that the appearance of a rocket based on RD-171 technologies will make it possible to abandon the project to build a super-heavy launch vehicle based on the Angara modular missile family.

Back in October 2014, the Khrunichev Space Center proposed to create a super-heavy rocket based on the Angara rocket, but the project did not receive approval from Roscosmos, since from the universal booster blocks from which rockets of different classes of the Angara family are assembled, only a rocket with seven such blocks. It is technically impossible to connect more than this number of upper stages. The project for the development of a new super-heavy launch vehicle is included in the Federal Space Program 2015-2025.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I hope they make that rocket, it sounds cool. :)

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Roscosmos believes that it will take five to seven years to create a super-heavy rocket according to the chosen scheme.
i wonder how fast Elon build his bullet rockets.....

BoT

i believe that roscosmos or russia can go to moon now...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
i believe that roscosmos or russia can go to moon now...
if they can get the 'to LEO' payload mass above 120 tons and TLI above 40 tons. Otherwise they're gonna have the same issues as SLS / Artemis, with a multi-launch lunar profile competing against Starship.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
if they can get the 'to LEO' payload mass above 120 tons and TLI above 40 tons. Otherwise they're gonna have the same issues as SLS / Artemis, with a multi-launch lunar profile competing against Starship.
Yep plus with modular style maybe it may took a little longer to pad...