The Workshops

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Mission Le Verrier actually rode on this concept with its Neptune hypersonic unmanned aircraft, where the engine was modified to inject oxidiser into the combustion chamber instead of fuel.
That’s what I was thinking. Replace the oxygen with whatever is on the atmosphere and add oxidizer.
Unfortunately that thread was deleted.
No, it wasn’t.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, my words exactly.

The 'event' that involved the trail mods being 'kidnapped' by TT dressed as a small Martian moon, a badly presented story about Jordis storage woes and the best timed server outage in history.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Yeah, my words exactly.

The 'event' that involved the trail mods being 'kidnapped' by TT dressed as a small Martian moon, a badly presented story about Jordis storage woes and the best timed server outage in history.
No no no, you’re misunderstanding. TT and the trial mods were kidnapped by Mr. Martian Moon. It was not fun, and definitely not a prank.

That’s what I was thinking. Replace the oxygen with whatever is on the atmosphere and add oxidizer.
If I could, I might be able to do a little science experiment regarding this.

Where we use a mini turbojet engine used by hobby aircraft modellers, and duct hydrogen/methane into the intake, and feed oxidiser into the fuel feed, of course we have optimize the engine fuel control software for this scenario.

Jet engines usually burn "air rich", otherwise the excess unburnt fuel would coke up the innards. So you gotta "flip" the programming on its head, easier said than done, as different oxidisers have different stoichiometric ratios (you might find this out by referring to the US Army Propellant Handbook, however most of them cater to solid or liquid rocket engines, not gas-gas) you have to consider to find the perfect mix.

The hardware I'll need for this experiment will be very expensive, so maybe it's best for NASA to try.

However, Titan's atmosphere is 95% Nitrogen and 5% Methane, the compressor section is gonna have to work very hard to raise the concentration enough to sustain the burn.

I guess such an engine would be more useful in an atmosphere like Neptune. Where a majority of its atmosphere is hydrogen.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Cue Horus rant about the A-10 gun not sounding anything like that.